Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 16 replies

Login Issue Fixed!

Rich Brome

May 9, 2005, 9:39 AM
Okay - the infamous login/logout issue should be fixed now. 🙂

Sorry for the hassle this whole time. Your patience is appreciated!

And of course if you still have problems with the site, please let me know.
crazyjeremy

May 9, 2005, 10:02 AM
Hey Rich,

I'm still getting the errors. I'll try logging all the way out of explorer then come back in to see if it affects it, but I don't think that it will.

crazyjeremy
Rich Brome

May 9, 2005, 11:27 AM
What errors are you getting, specifically?

What ISP are you using?

At the very bottom of the page, what is the number you see in brackets? 1 or 2?
crazyjeremy

May 11, 2005, 2:51 PM
Rich Brome said:
What errors are you getting, specifically?

What ISP are you using?

At the very bottom of the page, what is the number you see in brackets? 1 or 2?

Hey Rich,

As far as I know, the number at the bottom of the page has always been [1]. I have never noticed it being anything else.

I am within a corporate environment which is largely hidden... we own our own arin ip's but I believe the best answer to your question is TimeWarner.

The following is step by step process...

I start out in forums, with no cookies and after recently restarting internet explorer. I am obviously not yet logged in. https://www.phonescoop.com/forums/

I click login and it brings me here https://www.p...
(continues)
crazyjeremy

May 11, 2005, 3:17 PM
Rich,

We are basically our own ISP. We have a large, global organization.

It is possible one session may have logins from various ip addresses (at this time I believe there is a max of 2 external ip addresses for our proxy).

Are you limiting access to the site based on ip address? Using more than one ip is common for some large corporations as they load balance between multiple proxy servers.

Thanks,
crazyjeremy
crazyjeremy

May 11, 2005, 3:20 PM
I'm rather certain this is the problem. It seems to be an intermittant problem. Some times I click on a link and it works, other times the same link will not work. I have to log in again and again.

I have tested our network in the past and during busy times in the day, my external ip can change back and forth between two different values.
Rich Brome

May 11, 2005, 3:27 PM
crazyjeremy said:
Are you limiting access to the site based on ip address? Using more than one ip is common for some large corporations as they load balance between multiple proxy servers.

No. Rotating IPs is irrelevant. At least now it is. That was (sort of) the problem before, but now it sounds like this specific problem is something else.

Thanks for all the detail - this is very helpful!
crazyjeremy

May 18, 2005, 10:36 AM
Did you change something since this discussion? I all of a sudden have no trouble moving through any area of the site. It seems that now I am never logged out at all.

Thanks,
crazyjeremy
Rich Brome

May 18, 2005, 11:20 AM
Since May 9? No.

But just before that I made a major change that should have fixed things for everyone.

It involved a DNS change, which can take time to propagate through the Internet. It should have been complete before May 9, but sometimes ISPs don't follow the rules and it can take longer for some people.

Unfortunately, there's still some weird separate issue with cookies on IE, but users of Firefox or other browsers should have no problems whatsoever now.
crazyjeremy

May 18, 2005, 12:06 PM
I'm glad it's working better now. Maybe it was an ISP thing. I didn't change anything on my side after your last fix and it didn't work then but it does now.

FireFox doesn't work well on my system and IE is the only company sanctioned browser. I'd much rather be using FireFox.

The only thing I noticed so far is that after posting a message then clicking edit or check spelling, sometimes I will get an error something like "unique id" is missing. I can't remember the exact error. I'll write it down next time I get it.
Rich Brome

May 18, 2005, 12:10 PM
crazyjeremy said:
...The only thing I noticed so far is that after posting a message then clicking edit or check spelling, sometimes I will get an error something like "unique id" is missing. I can't remember the exact error. I'll write it down next time I get it.

Weird. 😕 Please do! Thanks! 🙂
crazyjeremy

May 18, 2005, 12:26 PM
Ok, when I post a response to a message and try to preview it I have seen two different situations that cause the error.

1. I click the text link to cancel and return to message.
2. I click the button to edit the message.

At times, each will say I'm missing an id.

I have not had the scenerio enough times to know if it is something that I'm doing or if it a consistent bug.
Rich Brome

May 18, 2005, 2:22 PM
Knowing the specific error message would help tremendously, as well as the URL when you see the message.

Thanks!
crazyjeremy

May 18, 2005, 2:42 PM
Rich Brome said:
Knowing the specific error message would help tremendously, as well as the URL when you see the message.

Thanks!

Hmm... having trouble replicating it. It seems to only happen when I'm NOT recording my every step along the way.
Rich Brome

May 11, 2005, 3:24 PM
Interesting. Anyone else having this problem?

This sounds like an IE cookie problem. Have you tried Firefox for any length of time?

Of course I still need to fix it, since most people still use IE... ☚ī¸
mmcnier

May 11, 2005, 5:13 PM
I do. The most i see it is when i am posting a new message or using spell check. It will tell me that my message has been retained in some sort of file & will be posted/spellchecked once I log back in.
jkrivjansky

May 9, 2005, 12:11 PM
Clear your cookies and cache as well.

Nasty little problems hide in there. If your computer is trying to load a cached page it may not loade the corrected info. If there is a problem with the cookie... well same thing.

Clear those and it should help if not completely correct.

Oh and on a side note. Get Firefox. So much better than IE IMHO. Unless youa re logging in from work... then go with what you got.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.