Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

Phone Profile Suggestion

softshoe

Apr 25, 2009, 4:01 PM
Indicate those phones that support Micro SDHC cards in the memory card type category to correctly educate the public that that great 32gb card on sale for $75 won't work in their phone because their phone only supports Micro SD cards.
Rich Brome

Apr 26, 2009, 11:30 AM
We do list the size support in our specs.

Actually, the vast majority of phones these days do support microSDHC. Any phone that supports 4 GB or larger cards should - in theory - support 32 GB cards.

Of course, the "rated" maximum size is often smaller than 32 GB, because manufacturers only want to advertise a size they've actually tested and confirmed. 16 GB cards are relatively new, and 32 GB cards don't exist yet, so a lot of manufacturers only advertise that their phone supports 8 GB, because that's all that was available to test at the relevant time in development and testing.

If the manufacturer isn't sure an oddball software bug wouldn't prevent a 32 GB card from working, we don't feel it would be right for us to second-guess...
(continues)
computerking

Apr 29, 2009, 5:15 PM
forgive me if I'm completely wrong since it has been a long time since I used this phone.

The Kyocera 7135 (haha good old palm 4) supported full size standard SD memory cards but only to 512mb. If you used any card larger than 512mb the 7135 would lock up or go crazy.

I assumed that it would support larger cards that are beneath the SDHC cards and of course attempted a 1GB SD card but I found the above statement correct.

I would think that in some devices there may be a software limitation similar to that of a computers bios in handling hard drives sizes.
Rich Brome

Apr 29, 2009, 5:21 PM
Yes.

However, when SDHC was introduced and then implemented, it brought a lot more attention to those kinds of issues. They *should* be much less common in the past few years. I'm sure there are some phones that have limits for stupid or really unusual reasons, which is why we are careful to only show what the manufacturer promises. But I would *guess* that the majority of SDHC phones can handle 32 GB just fine, regardless of what they were advertised to support.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.