Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 14 replies

Character Limit/ Character Counter

Crapbag

Mar 10, 2008, 11:57 AM
I don't recall this being discussed, but have you thought of implementing a character counter? There have been a few times now where I have attempted to post an article that was over the limit and lost the whole thing. I admit this is no where near necessity, but it would be a nice convenience given the limit in characters allowed.
Rich Brome

Mar 10, 2008, 2:13 PM
The limit is really, really long. I've never run into it posting anything, I've typed some really long forums messages on here.

I think the only way most people would run into it is by copying-and-pasting something, and if you're doing that, chances are good there's a copyright issue involved. It's usually better (and more... legal) to link to things.

Do you have an example to the contrary? Honest question.
Crapbag

Mar 10, 2008, 3:32 PM
No, it is via copy/paste. Unfortunately many visitors are firewalled and can't view the article through link. Doesn't sighting sources aleve the copyright issue?
Rich Brome

Mar 10, 2008, 3:44 PM
Crapbag said:
Doesn't sighting sources aleve the copyright issue?

No. Crediting the source is certainly better than not doing so, but copying and republishing copyrighted content without permission is technically a violation of copyright.

Quoting a few lines and giving credit is okay, but copying large portions is generally not okay.
Crapbag

Mar 10, 2008, 5:17 PM
Noted, thanks.
robtheman

Mar 10, 2008, 4:32 PM
I've actually run into the same problem. When I've had the problem, it's always been with an in-depth conversation with someone like ZombieJ or jrfdsf. A lot of blockquotes get involved, and I end up writing a book as a response. I think a character counter is a really good idea. I know that captainplooky and ZombieJ have been frustrated by losing messages in a similar fashion as well.
Rich Brome

Mar 10, 2008, 4:40 PM
Hmm... well, that's not good. ☚ī¸ Sorry you guys have run into that.

I didn't realize people were actually writing messages that long. I thought I was the most long-winded one here... 😉 guess not!

We do have a character counter for reviews, where the limit is shorter, but I'm not inclined to add one to forums. Since this is the first time the issue has been brought to my attention, I'm pretty sure you guys are in the minority. A counter does add a tiny bit of page download and processing overhead... not much, but some.

A better solution may be a quick line of JavaScript validation that checks length as you click "Submit". That would at least keep you from losing anything - and give you a chance to shorten it - if it's too long....
(continues)
robtheman

Mar 10, 2008, 4:42 PM
Yeah, really anything that would prevent losing a ten page essay would be a great improvement.
JimmyTaliban

Mar 14, 2008, 8:53 AM
***!
Crapbag

Mar 10, 2008, 5:17 PM
Thanks Rich, that would be great. It just sucks posting to something then having to start over. Copy/Paste isn't as bad as it's still in memory, or easy to find.
jrfdsf

Mar 14, 2008, 12:06 PM
robtheman said:
I've actually run into the same problem. When I've had the problem, it's always been with an in-depth conversation with someone like ZombieJ or jrfdsf. A lot of blockquotes get involved, and I end up writing a book as a response. I think a character counter is a really good idea. I know that captainplooky and ZombieJ have been frustrated by losing messages in a similar fashion as well.

Yeah, I've lost several posts that way.

Usually, if you click the "refresh" button instead of the "back" on your net browser, it will re-load the previous page.
jrfdsf

Mar 14, 2008, 12:18 PM
Hit the "back" button, then "refresh." This brings you back to your previous page.

Hope this helps! 🙂
ralph_on_me

Mar 17, 2008, 11:52 AM
My BB says the character limit is 5524.
Crapbag

Mar 17, 2008, 12:46 PM
The BB can tell?
ralph_on_me

Mar 17, 2008, 1:40 PM
That could just be the limit of my BB, but it's a jumping off point

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.