Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 6 replies

managing registration by IP address?! (prevent banned from returning)

ReaperTut

Feb 19, 2008, 7:21 PM
i can understand this would be difficult for those who are on the same IP address shared by employee's that use this site at work, but have you given thought to capturing IP address' at time of registration or last known post prior to banning to prevent previously banned users from returning?
handiman

Feb 19, 2008, 8:02 PM
They can and do ban by IP address.

That can be circumvented though.
Kagehiru

Feb 19, 2008, 8:41 PM
The problem is that shared ip's are pretty common in workplaces, so you don't want to make that too common of a measure as you will end up alienating your users. In addition, with dynamic ip's, you have the problem of either having to block a whole range of ip's(not a good idea), or blocking individual ip's, which is time consuming and inefficient.
agent smith

Feb 28, 2008, 7:18 PM
people get banned from here (i tak it) and keep coming back?

why do they keep coming back?
ucantbeserious

Feb 28, 2008, 9:45 PM
because they are trolls with nothing better to do
agent smith

Feb 29, 2008, 2:48 PM
it must suck to be them
Wireless Gnome

Mar 5, 2008, 2:50 PM
I'm pretty sure the moderators can look at their back office system and see the IP of each individual forum thread posting and block the offending person.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.