Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 8 replies

Rich, More Carrier Forums? - - -

BetterThanJake

Dec 31, 2004, 7:31 PM
Rich, there are several new MVNOs launching (Mobile Virtual Network Operators- i.e. carriers like Virgin, who sell time on other carriers' networks but do not own a network of their own), such as Seven-Eleven. Yet some MVNOs don't have a forum of their own here yet. Nor do the pre-pay services of the national carriers, which may be different enough to warrant their own forums.

Perhaps there should be more pre-pay/pay-as-you-go service forums, including a 'Prepay General'? This seems like it'll be an increasing large segment of the market in the future, since most people in the US who can pass a credit check and want a cellphone already have one.
BetterThanJake

Dec 31, 2004, 7:42 PM
As further rationale:

"According to consultants at the Yankee Group, pay-as-you-go customers will account for one of every four mobile users within the next three years."

http://www.business2.com/b2/web/articles/0,17863,690 ... »
Rich Brome

Jan 3, 2005, 12:37 AM
I don't make a distinction between pre-paid and post-paid when determining which carriers to add to the site. I do list Virgin, for example.

My standard is simply # of subscribers. I list carriers that have about million or more customers.

Boost recently crossed that threshold, so I plan to add them. I've had trouble getting in touch with their marketing people, though. If I can ever get a response from them on a few questions, I'd love to add them.

There are a couple carriers listed that are smaller than 1 million, but they were added a very long time ago, before I came up with the 1 million threshold. It doesn't seem to make any sense to remove a carrier...

But the cutoff is necessary going forward just because there are so man...
(continues)
BetterThanJake

Jan 3, 2005, 12:00 PM
Yeah, it would definitely be nice to add Boost, sorry their guys are being a pain.

What I was thinking is that the prepay user experience is something, like data usage, that cuts across carrier lines; and that as such, a catch-all Prepay forum, like the Wireless Data forum, might be a good thing. Also such a forum could handle all the tiny or up-and-coming MVNOs that don't meet the million user cutoff.

The prepay segment does seem to be taking off/playing an increasing role in the US cellular market, after all.

Just my take on it. Thanks for your response, Rich 🙂
speck

Jan 4, 2005, 11:25 AM
Isn't Boost a subsidiary of someone? Like Virgin Mobile... 😕
kmfdmgod

Jan 4, 2005, 4:31 PM
Boost runs off Nextel's network. It also has ptt. 😎
speck

Jan 4, 2005, 8:01 PM
Ah... thank you.
speck

Jan 4, 2005, 11:28 AM
It would make sense to remove Qwest... absolutely no activity in the forum... or the company...
tequilasundae

Jan 3, 2005, 4:36 PM
i was wondering about maybe putting Centennial Wireless on..they have a pretty solid footing here in indiana ...and a 6 state area..

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.