Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 22 replies

quick question

ZombieJ

Aug 11, 2007, 7:40 PM
Is there no way to have an IP banned? Having users break whatever rule "a" and then just re-register is pretty lame and defeats the purpose.
satansk8

Aug 11, 2007, 8:03 PM
who cares that is why the internet is so great. I can get a new computer and move you can never stop us.
ZombieJ

Aug 11, 2007, 8:07 PM
IP's are generally static and assigned by the ISP.
SprintSpeed

Aug 11, 2007, 9:02 PM
The problem I see Rich and Eric facing is that even though they can ban someone from establishing a new user name from a particular IP, they don't seem to be able to prevent someone from logging into Phone Scoop from an IP they may have blocked. All someone has to do is go to a public computer like at a library for PC access or take their notebook to a cybercafe where there is free WiFi and just creat a new name. BTW, even though most people's home IPs are dynamic, I would like to say that about 95% of the time, they act like static ones.
ZombieJ

Aug 11, 2007, 9:17 PM
I've never had a dynamic ip in my life... well except when I was back on dial up.

I've never seen a forum where you couldn't permanently ban a person through IP. I don't know much about the nuts and bolts of... whatever the hell this is vs phpBB, I just can't understand why it's not done.
Guy Montag

Aug 11, 2007, 9:19 PM
Because if it were you wouldn't be having this conversation right now.
ZombieJ

Aug 11, 2007, 9:22 PM
why not.

What am I not getting here.
Guy Montag

Aug 11, 2007, 9:27 PM
Sprintspeed is a new account started today by a sales associate in the Atlanta area. If they could ban IPs then there would be no one to respond to.
ZombieJ

Aug 11, 2007, 9:29 PM
Now I get it.
Yean

Aug 11, 2007, 8:09 PM
If the user is using a static IP, there wouldn't be a way to stop the pesron. Or they're smart enough to do a spoof IP.
ZombieJ

Aug 11, 2007, 8:12 PM
You're thinking of a dynamic IP. People in here aren't smart enough to cover their address, trust me.
Yean

Aug 11, 2007, 8:30 PM
LOL!! That's right, what was I thinking. It's assigned by a DHCP. My bad. 🤭

Do you know the word, or what it's called when your IP's don't comply with the rest of the www. Example: IP's from Brazil and Africa.

A lot of milicious hacker will get a bounce through Brazil.
paddyoc

Aug 11, 2007, 8:41 PM
malicious, you mean?
Yean

Aug 11, 2007, 8:52 PM
Yes. Damn phonescoop spell check.
SprintSpeed

Aug 11, 2007, 9:04 PM
Are you doing a few hits off Cheech and Chong's bong or sipping on some Snoop Dogg's gin and juice Yean? 🤣
Guy Montag

Aug 11, 2007, 9:16 PM
Ray, how man SNs do you keep at any given time?
ZombieJ

Aug 11, 2007, 8:49 PM
I didn't know there was anything wrong with an IP originating from those countries or that it wouldn't 'comply with the www'. I talk to people from Africa all the time.

Port Elizabeth Technikon
192.96.7.0/24
192.96.8.0/24
192.96.142.0/24
196.10.203.0/24
196.21.192.0/21
198.54.68.0/24
198.54.155.0/24

There is a list of IP's from Africa... looks the same to me. Maybe they are under different privacy laws like Some European countries, I don't know.
Yean

Aug 11, 2007, 10:03 PM
Sorry not all of Africa. I'll get the word. The local 2600's here are always telling me about it.
Rich Brome

Aug 12, 2007, 3:01 PM
We have a lot of ways to deal with duplicate accounts. Our policy is to not go into too much detail about it, but IP address is certainly part of it. I'm not sure why anyone would think we don't have that capability.

The problem is that IP address doesn't mean much. Many people have dynamic IPs that change every time they boot up or log on. Other people have connections that use a proxy server, meaning hundreds of people share one IP address. Even blocking a simple static IP only blocks that computer, not that person.
ZombieJ

Aug 12, 2007, 3:23 PM
I never considered that most people likely access this site from work on a company network (proxy).

I just couldn't wrap my head around how people are able to repeatedly get back in here despite bans. I frequent several other forums and this type of thing just isn't seen.

Considering the size of your staff it's probably more reasonable to assume others just have more time to be diligent and track them down and the offenders access the site from home PC's.
SprintSpeed

Aug 12, 2007, 3:31 PM
I'm sure Rich and Eric can see the IP logs of every thread posted too.
ZombieJ

Aug 12, 2007, 3:54 PM
Without a doubt.

You're lucky I don't have any ability to ban people Ray.
Guy Montag

Aug 13, 2007, 10:24 AM
Asketh and ye shall receive.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.