Nice Phone Overall Just Weird Keypad
Have owned my N78 for about a week now. My overall impression is that it's a good phone. I like it for the most part and have found my north American version (N78-3) used with AT&T to have found a 3G signal regularly every where I've been so far. Battery life is good going the whole day with Wi-Fi use and net browsing. The FM transmitter works just fine to the car stereo and sounds great. Google Maps pinpoints to two feet exactly where the phone is. Move a couple of feet and the blue dot follows you. (Creepy but cool.) Have been using an iGo bluetooth foldable keyboard with the phone as well as a Plantronics BT earipiece. Both pair and work well with it. That brings me to the main point I have about the phone and really the only gripe. What in the world were the designers thinking with such a terrible keypad!!! It's ALMOST inexcusable to ruin a good phone with such a bad design. It's small and the ridges are sharp hurting my fingers. If I've been texting or even just simple web browsing with URL addresses the tips of my index fingers and thumbs hurt from the ridges. It's a mental challenge to overcome the sensation as if I'm pressing against a knife edge. I HATE this part of an otherwise good phone. It's up on eBay when the E71 comes out.
Pros - FM Transmitter, plus almost everything good about the N95.
Cons - Keypad is wierd, but I'm getting used to it. Plus it has a smaller screen, but it's very sharp.
I'd give it a 5.0 if there was a better keypad.
I have been using the N78 for about 6 months now. I was using the n82 [which was the best phone I've ever owned] but it did not support aT&T 3G network which was important to me. Thats when i switched.
The N78 is basically an upgrade to the N73 [which was also a great phone]. It kept the 3.0 megapixel camera with autofocus and added 1)wifi and 2)GPS 3)FM transmitter . Everything else is just about the same. The keypad was changed slightly but its easy to get used to.
1) Excellent Phone --Great reception, voice quality, Signal strength
2) Wifi -- This is nice and very easy to use. It comes in handy when you want to surf the net [for free].
3) GPS with voice turn by turn directions-- Very cool feature. It came with 6 month trial of nokia's service and I am still using it. I don't own a stand alone gps device and this is more than enough for me. DO NOT USE IT WHILE DRIVING -- YOU'LL GET YOURSELF OR SOMEONE ELSE KILLED. Park your car if you need to enter in an address and follow along with the voice navigation.
4) Camera-- it comes with a 3.0 megapixel camera which is very decent. The camera doesn't have a lens cover but it seems to be working good so far.
5) Symbian OS -- this is cool and allows for the use of many cool programs out there
6) FM Transmitter
1) My biggest complaint of this phone is the OS freezes. I have upgraded the software with nokia update and it has become more stable. However, it still has some bugs occasionally. My old n82 was much more stable.