UTStarcom Super Slice / CDM-1450
Great Phone For The Price!
Purchased this phone the first weekend they hit the store shelves. Price $59.99.
Compared to the original Slice:
- Fast processor/interface (no more lag)
- Nice screen, higher resolution
- Backlit keys light up nicely (white)
- Keys are larger and much easier to operate
- The antenna bars show much differently. For example, the original Slice may show 2 bars, the new Super Slice only shows the antenna (0 bars). However calls can still be made clearly and without any drops. There appears to be no increase in signal range.
- Games play very quickly.
- Contacts are more organized.
- Support for V9T9 input is included.
- Much better selection for the wallpapers and ringtones.
- Menus and graphics are of high quality.
- The camera works well enough for being 640x480 resolution. It does NOT work well in low lighting situations. Nice frames and filter effects are included. Pictures will fill the entire screen and can be used as a wallpaper (works very well).
- Works well (have had no problems dropping service). However, you must find a good headset to pair it with. The black Motorola HS350 works well enough. Be cautious to turn the headset as far down as you can so as to reduce feedback. The Moto H3 headset is notorious for low volume/extreme feedback.
- The tricky part on the phone that I found difficult was the section for 'support service' under the bluetooth settings. You MUST set it for 'hands free service' or you will not be able to simply press the button on the bluetooth headset and have the phone talk to you. There is NO apply button you either select 'headset service' or 'hands free service'.
- In addition, I would highly recommend going under '8 others', '5 voice commands', '2 voice calibration' and run through the words/digits calibration. The phone will understand your speaking much better!
Highly recommended for the price, fits great in your pocket. Very nice upgrade! Buy it!
One of the best Virgin Mobile phones
Of the several VM phones that I have tried, this one was one of the best. Responsive, sleek, had a quality feel & finish, plus Bluetooth and Camera, even though I never used those.
Unfortunately I stepped on it and the screen broke, and now I have to look for a replacement :(
+ Sleek, responsive, very long battery life
+ Camera & Bluetooth
+ Quality feel & finish
- Didn't have "vibrate, then ring" option
- Not as convenient as clamshell phones
- It's so thin it broke when stepped on
AD reviews continues below...
UT Starcom Super Slice
PLEASE STOP AND READ THIS BEFORE YOU BUY THIS PHONE!!!! i FIRST FOR MY SUPER SLICE MAY,2008 AND I'VE HAD NUTHING BUT PROBLEMS MY PHONE WORK GREAT FOR ABOUT 3 WEEKS THEN ONE DAY I WENT TO MAKE A CALL AND MY PHONE SAID LOOKING FOR SERVICE (NO SERVICE) AND IT EVER REGAIN SERVICE IT WAS LIKE THAT FOR OVER 3 DAYS I CALL VIRGIN MOBILE AND THEY HAD ME GO THRU ALL THE BASIC STEPS TAKEN THE BATTERY OUT RESETTING THE PHONE AND THEN REPROGRAMING THE PHONE NUTHING WORK THERE WAS STILL NO SERVICE, SO THEY SENT ME A REPLACEMENT HHONE JUNE 9,2008 AND OKAY THIS NEW REPLACEMENT WORK FOR ONLY 8 DAYS AND IT STARTED SAYING THE SAME THING AS THE FIRST PHONE I SEND BACK TO THEN SO I CALL THEM AND GETTING THIS PHONE REPLACE WITE THE (LG IARE) I THINK THATS HOW YOU SPELL IT...BUT ANYWAYS I ASK VIRGIN MOBILE WHY WOULD MY PHONE DO THIS AND WHY DID MY FIRST PHONE DO THIS AND THEY HAD NO CLUE THE FIRST TIME I ASK THEM,BUT THIS TIME I ASK THEM AND SHE SAID SHE HAD NO CLUE BUT THEN SHE TURN AROUND AND TOLD ME THAT DA SS DIDN'T GET GIVE SERVICE BECAUSE THE ANTENNA CAN ONLY GIVE GINGAL UP TO 10 MILES WITH THE ANETTENA SO I'M LIKE WHY WOULD YOU EVEN SELL A PHONE LIKE THIS KNOWING THAT THE PHONE'S ANTENNA ONLY BEING ABLE TO PICK UP A SINGAL FOR 10 MILES AND SHE DIDN'T GIVE ME A ANSWER SO WHATEVER YOU DO PLZ DON'T BUY THIS PHONE IT'S NOT WORTH THE MONEY AND VIRGIN MOBILE MIGHT BE WITH USING SPRINT NETWORKS THEY COVERAGE AREA ITSN'T GREAT GO TO HELIO YOU GET GREATER COVEAGE AND BETTER PHONE BUT THEY AREN'T PRET PAID AND THEY ALSO USE SPRINT NETWORK BUT THEY WORK MOSTLY ANYWHERE
ive owned many virgin mobile phones and the superslice for vigin mobile is my favorite. its fun, comes in black or what i have, red with i silver trim around the screen. light, easy to use and dont forget, very very thin. out of all the virgin mobile phones ive had this one gave me the least amount of problems. the cons would be that virgin mobile has yet to come out with a phone that has a good camera. you have to have very good lighting to take a good pic, and of coarse i wish the screen could be bigger. phone does restart itself on its own sometimes. but other than that, very good and worth the $49.00
Ok so Ive had this phone for bout a week now and i seriously hate it. Its like it was a complete downgrade. The only reason i brought it was because i dropped my samsung in the toilet and this phone was all i could afford with my money since My mother said she wouldnt buy me another one.
Ok i have MetroPCS and I love the service but completely hate the phone.
-Poor camera. the only time u can take a DECENT picture is if ur in really, really good lighting....during the daytime....outside. thats sad but true.
-No transferring through blutooth. Im the type of person that loves ringtones and ive always sent and received my ringtones through bluetooth but with this phone i cant even find someone to even try to send or receive from them
-No sending ringtones....period. Even when you try to send a ringtone through a pic message...it doesnt work. Trust me ive tried it many times with many different phones.
-No downloading from the internet. No matter what website it is or what it is ur tryin to download....it wont let u. Itll give u a short preview...again SHORT....of something u cant have.
-MetroPCS total rip off. I paid $90 for a used version of this phone and its not even worth 20. When I call people they have trouble hearing me because of the fact that the receiver is in the bottom right hand corner. I mean who ctually wants to be forced to only talk on one side.
Honestly this has been the worst phone and have ever and possibly will ever have.
I will 100% NOT recommend this phone to anyone who values their time and money
Ok I had this phone for almost a month now, I have service with metro pcs, the price was $138.00, i was thinkin thats good 4 a camera phone, with bluetooth, internet, and email ya feel me?
it has t9
the contact book has enough space
aol instant messanger
camera (in good lighting)
the antenna is on the bottom!
so when you hold the phone, you are messing up your recpetion!
I couldnt locate any ones phone to send or recieve ringtones through bluetooth
i couldnt locate my bluetooth headset, and i am a pro at stuff like this
if some one tries to text you a ring tone you wont get it (unless its from the samsung phone with the keyboard)
when you send text messages it always says that the message failed but it sends it 2-3 times!
you cant download on the internet
the phone heats up really fast
the pictures take to long to load
Super is the right name
I received this phone as a present when it was on sale at Radio Shack for $29.99. I have to say this is the best phone I've had from Virgin Mobile so far. But luckily there are more pros than cons.
(+) OK camera for being very cheap
(+) downloadable content from VirginXL
(+) mobile i.m. and e-mail
(+) a lot better selection of preloaded graphics and sounds
(+) bluetooth (finally!)
(+) lighting speed os
(+) ability to use screensavers as your wallpaper
(+) Voice command
(+) Sleek design
(+) way better keypad as compared to the original slice
(+) no more accidental 911 calls because of new keyguard
(+) menu actually makes sense now
(+) bigger screen than the original slice
And now the cons :-(
(-) phone freezes often requiring you to take the battery out and replace it
(-) screen quality is not all that all that sharp
(-) assigned pictures must stay in your "my pictures" folder, if you delete it in the folder the assigned picture will be gone.
(-) phone sometimes will turn itself off
**Despite the cons this phone is a steal, for those who want a basic MMS camera phone, without having to pay an arm-and-leg.
Here is a list of the "pros" and "cons" in my opinion, of this phone.
1) It has a nice size screen, which comes in handy when you're viewing pictures or surfing the web.
2) The keys on this phone are a good size as well. I don't have anything to say as to why this is a good thing, but it's just nice.
3) It has a couple of shortcuts on the keypad, which comes in handy when you're in a hurry or just don't want to browse through the menu.
4) I love the rotating color on the tip of the phone. When you're receiving a call, the color will rotate from blue, red, green, etc. It also turns red when you're charging the phone and green when it's finished charging.
1) You can't download any mp3s or ring tones. I've tried to download ring tones from various website and I had no luck. It only allows me to preview a portion of the song. Not just that, but you can't even have the song sent to your phone from the web.
2) The receiver is located to the right of the phone. I'm not sure what prompted UTStarcom to build their phone this way, but they did. You wouldn't think this would be a big deal, but it really sucks when you're talking to someone and they can't make out what you're saying because it sounds muffled. Because of this, I'm having to hold the phone *away* from my face in order to get an "ok" result.
3) The camera is horrible! Especially in areas that aren't well lit up. This wouldn't be such a bad thing, if the camera came with flash. If you take a picture in a room that isn't lit up very well, then the picture looks very distorted. The pixels on this camera aren't the best, and the quality really shows in these darker rooms. But you can take 'ok' pictures while outside or in good lit areas. Just don't expect a huge difference.
Needless to say, I am very disappointed and the look isn't a good enough reason for me to keep this phone. I'm going to get a different phone today.
Pros, Good battery life
Loud speaker phone
Housing is scratch resistant
Cons, VGA camera
No vibrate then ring option
Older version of Bluetooth
You're getting your moneys worth for a 30-50 dollar phone
Iv noticed less bars comparing this phone to other virgin mobile phones but it hasn't effected my service at all I'm making and receiving calls with no bars.
Not That Bad....
This phone really isnt that bad for what it is. It also has a nice price tag.
-Nice Sturdy Housing(has a solid feel to it)
- Camera works fine in lit situations.
- Pretty Thin
-Bluetooth works awesomely. I paired my motorola headseat with it in seconds.
-Display is pretty good for a this kind of phone.
-keys are tactile and have a good push feeling.
-Ringtone volume is plenty loud
-Speaker phone isnt that great.
-Thanks to the antenna being on the bottom you have to hold the phone in the most retarted way to get some service.
-Takes a while to view photos one by one.
- Ringtones sound distorted at the highest level.
Thats about it.
Its a solid phone for the price so I cant complain. I wish VM would have had a 1.3 mp camera on this phone instead of VGA. But w/e.