Home  ›  Forums  ›

Canada

all discussions

Questions about unlocked phones

BrandyChan

Jul 3, 2005, 3:48 PM
I'm new to this whole concept of buying "unlocked" cell phones from companies other than your wireless provider. I know the unlocked phones are much cheaper, and that's a major plus. But I live in BC and use Rogers, and the selection offered by the cell companies in Canada sucks, so I have been eyeing the cell phones the US providers offer...

So my question is, if I were to buy an unlocked and unbranded camera phone that was carried by one of the US carriers from a third-party retailer, could I get it to work with Rogers here in BC? And how would I go about getting Rogers to hook it up? I'm clueless on this topic 🤭

Thanks for any help!!

~ BrandyChan
BlueHFX

Jul 4, 2005, 6:52 AM
It is not really that they are necessarily much cheaper, sometimes yes but usually it because you are buying from ebay or something like that. you may or may not have a warranty on it, and being in Canada you have to deal with the manufacturer. If it is a GSM phone as long it uses 850 or 1900 you be fine but any extra features like data may or may not work especially if it is an unsupported model. The thing people like about unlocked phones is you can take it to another carrier and all the features are unlocked that the phone has but not all are of any use because some require the carrier to support them. with the unlocked phone the real cheaper part is when you travel overseas you can get a local prepaid service with local number and not h...
(continues)
BrandyChan

Jul 5, 2005, 9:37 PM
Ahhhh, I see! That makes sense! Great, thanks for the reply🙂!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.