Home  ›  Forums  ›

Canada

all discussions

show all 10 replies

Switch from Telus to Rogers? (HELP!!!!)

oven1969

Nov 18, 2004, 5:19 PM
Dear all,

I have been using telus for the past 5 years, ok service and good reception, at least in Markham\ Toronto.

But their phones just SUCK, and if you live in Canada, you know what i mean.

So I am planning (thinking) the big switch, from Telus to Rogers.

But I've also heard that Rogers reception is not very good.

My question to you all is that...

1. Is Rogers reception that much worse than Telus?
2. Is Quad-band much better than Tri?

thanks in advance
oven1969
insoo4u

Nov 23, 2004, 4:20 AM
hi, i live in north york, toronto.

i've been using Rogers for over 2 years.

since i moved to waterloo cuz of university, i'm now looking for a new phone to use in waterloo.. and i'm lost between rogers and telus, too. LOL

neways..

my dad, me, my mom. we all have been using rogers in toronto. and the reception hasn't really been a problem.

so.. make a good decision! 😁
ashman

Dec 18, 2004, 8:04 PM
I toronto I would say that Rogers and Telus have close to the same coverage, I use to be with Telus and I am with Rogers now, so I know of which I speak. The big advantage with Rogers right now is that their customers get to roam onto the Fido network in areas where Rogers is weak or overburdened, so this in effect broadens their coverage in the GTA. I understand completely when you say the phones from Telus suck, that is exactly the reason I left them and went to rogers, I got an unlocked GSM phone and away I went. I just got a Moto V551 today and I love it. Good luck.
lucky13

Dec 28, 2004, 11:04 PM
Interesting.

Hope this helps...

I'm currently a Telus Mike user and love it. My first cell provider was back in the day with the "brick phones" where I was with Cantel AT&T which then switched to Rogers.

These days I don't know what the reception is like, but, I've experienced that when I speak with someone who is with Roger's - they sound very poorly - voice breaking up.
screaminglife

Dec 31, 2004, 7:18 PM
I have been a rogers customer for 2 years and have had absolutely no problems other then the fact the handset sux! that however is my fault since i chose a crappy phone. However I also have TELUS as a work celll and its amazing.

Reception is considerably better and the new phones from telus are on par with rogers. The LG 6190 fastap, Motorola V710 and the Nokia 3205 are very good phones, i myself have the fastap and though i do not use the alpha keyboard i find the voice-activated dialing, voice commands and speakerphoen very useful.

My brother lives in waterloo and the TELUS phone has better reception than the ROGERS phone out of the 2 that I have.

TELUS has the best reception hands-down in Canada, with over 93% of canada's popula...
(continues)
thadrod

Jan 4, 2005, 12:22 AM
i think you may have some numbers confused, rogers offers 93% digital coverage on gsm, tdma is more like 89% digital, probably less, and like 90% analogue coverage, either way, you want a good ohone for rogers, go with nokia or samsung, reception is quite good with those ones, motorola's arent bad at all, but i think they sacrifice some reception when they add all the extra features. best one so far is the motorola V551. some software glitches to it, but easily correctable. just requires upgrades. keep in mind, when going with either telus or bell, your coverage is sacrificed if your using another network, something to pay attention to.
screaminglife

Jan 11, 2005, 8:21 PM
no TELUS has the best digital coverage, as per GLOBE & MAIL which did a review of Canada's wireless companies and telus website. Once again TELUS offers 93% of canada's population with digital coverage, ROGERS offers 89% digital but 97% analog( analog coverage includes digital coverage). Plus TELUS currently offers the best digital data coverage, (since EDGE has high latency and hasn't been fully utilised its still less than CDMA 1X)

Don't go with BELL period. Really crappy handsets, the only good ones being copies or modified versions of TELUS phones, really bad plans which are totally useless to the average user and worst customer service.

ROGERS is a bit expensive, but you get some nice phones and if u buy from ROGERS stores you get...
(continues)
ashman

Jan 10, 2005, 11:10 PM
Well I disagree with what thadrod says, I think Rogers has better GSM coverage outside of the GTA, but thats my opinion. One of the great advantages of a GSM phone is the sim card, it contains your entire address book, so when it comes time to switch phones, just pop the sim into your new phone and away you go, no more of this nonsens about copying your phone numbers to your new phone, I don't miss that from my telus days I can tell you. Quad band kills anything telus has to offer, 850 coverage will get you a signal where everyone else is NO NETWORK.

TG
WesternCanadian

Apr 14, 2005, 12:55 AM
Three clarifications required here:

1. Rogers operates on GSM technology, while Telus on CDMA technology. They are not compatible and cannot use the same phones. The GSM advantage allows you to use phone on other GSM carriers worldwide, but only if you unlock the phone from the home carrier. The Telus/Bell advantage is that they roam on any local telephone co's network in Canada/USA (which is usually better/larger coverage in outlying/fringe areas).

2. Phone book is only saved to SIM card if you do so. And, if you have more than about 200 phone book entries, they won't all fit on a standard SIM card, so you'll have to transfer phone book contents by data cable/infrared/bluetooth, anyway.

3. Quad band refers to 2 North American G...
(continues)
Phone Lizard

Feb 11, 2005, 3:30 AM
Just do it.
I sold Telus, I sell Rogers, I own both... and the Telus phone rots in the glovebox. If it were a Mike, maybe it wouldn't, but I won't find out.
The Rogers phones are better, the network KICKS (gsm is the STANDARD in Asia, where there are nearly 8 million cell users.... HELLO!), and since gobbling up Fido, coverage is better than ever.
Do it. Love it.
OH, and if you don't?
Rogers is MAX $200 to get out of.
Telus? They want ALL the moolah, baby.
Simple.
Happy Telus customers just haven't tried Rogers lately, OR are business people who need the (justifiably loved) Mike service.
SEMC Guru

Mar 26, 2005, 10:32 AM
Rogers and Telus can't really be properly compared becuase they use two different technologies.

Rogers is a TDMA/GSM Network and Telus uses CDMA.

Telus' "claim to fame" in Ontario is that they are using Bell towers, and Bell uses Telus towers in the west.

I used Bell previously when I was working for them, and found that their coverage was horrible in the Newmarket (north of Toronto) area. Rogers doesn't give me any problems anywhere.

GSM uses the 850 and 1900 bands in North America, and 900 and 1800 in Europe and Asia.

I currently use a Nokia 3100 which supports 850/1800/1900, and will work both in North America and Over Seas. Even if you have a phone that supports eith 850 or 1900 your reception should be fine.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.