Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 11 replies

Needed GSM World with TDMA & analog

bettyboopadoop

Aug 11, 2004, 12:08 AM
I know it sounds weird but I live in a part of the states that does not have GSM service at all.
My phone is analog/TDMA AMPS/800/TDMA/800/1900, it works! But I travel and want a quad with TDMA and analog. Does such a phone exist? Right now I think I'm stuck with another rental for each trip, I really don't want two phones and two numbers. Thanks in advance.
phonepimp3376

Aug 11, 2004, 12:42 PM
Not that I've ever seen. What you are looking for is a GAIT enabled phone, like the Nokia 6340i. Unfortunately, that one only handles TDMA 800/1900, GSM 850/1900, and AMPS (analog).

I will look into it a bit more, but don't expect to find too much.
bettyboopadoop

Aug 11, 2004, 4:33 PM
Thanks, you've found the same phone a Nokia Techie told me about, the 6340i, he suggested I try that and the Nokia 6100 and switch SIM cards as I need to. But Cingular is the only carrier for the 6340i and they don't offer service where we are. Cingular is also phasing out the 6340i.
phonepimp3376

Aug 12, 2004, 9:54 AM
Cingular has roaming agreements with ATTWS and T-Mobile as well. Also, we will be opening up the three major markets we are not in there in VA most likely by years end. It will happen around the same time as the ATTWS buyout by Cingular is complete.

Cingular plans eventually to phase out GAIT altogether. It was initially a bridge technology to allow customers to use GSM and TDMA while we were converting our network to GSM a while back. Our GSM coverage is catching up to GAIT pretty fast.
phonepimp3376

Aug 11, 2004, 12:43 PM
By the way, where are you?
bettyboopadoop

Aug 11, 2004, 4:28 PM
We're in Virginia, in the southeast part of the state.
bettyboopadoop

Aug 11, 2004, 6:46 PM
What about giving up on the world GSM/TDMA/analog.idea and going with world GSM/CDMA/analog. Can you think of any possibilities there?
phonepimp3376

Aug 12, 2004, 9:56 AM
Only phone I know of that uses CDMA and GSM is one Verizon sells, but that's a business phone, not sold to the general public. No analog that I'm aware of. It uses CDMA here in the US, and GSM overseas.
bettyboopadoop

Aug 12, 2004, 9:41 PM
Thanks for the info, I found the Samsung A-790 and would have access to it, but it's gotten very mixed reviews. I've also read in the Nokia forum that they are working on a world phone, Motorola has announced the A-840 but they make lots of announcements...... I think I'm going to wait and see if Nokia does actually come up with something. Since TDMA and GAIT are in phase out, and GSM is in expand I'm hoping that Nokia will come up with a phone that gets better reviews than the SCH-A790. Thanks again for your help.
phonepimp3376

Aug 14, 2004, 10:22 AM
Anytime... if you are interested in worldphone GSM... check out the Motorola V400... I own one and love it!
GWFOX

Aug 14, 2004, 11:20 AM
PP you know as well as I do that moto isn't what it used to be. The v400 and v600 may be the exceptions though..

Yeah I'd recommend sticking out with nokia for GSM overseas and definately see what they come up with.
phonepimp3376

Aug 14, 2004, 11:48 AM
I agree for the most part GW... but the V400 is one one the rare exceptions. Won mine in the Christmas promo, and never had a problem. Been East, West and to Aruba and Spain with it... no issues at all.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.