Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 6 replies

Which USA carrier for PDA and laptop while in France?

LeTour

May 31, 2005, 9:58 PM
I will be following the Tour de France, so I will be standing along country roads watching the Tour go by. I want to have a PcoketPC/Phone with me so I can access the web and get updates on the race. Does anyone know which carrier I should go with to get the best service for this? I have contacted Telestial and they say you can not surf the web with sim cards provided by them???

Also, which carrier has the best card for my laptop for use in the French countryside? Would it be an EDGE card from Cingular?

I am considering the HP ipac 6135 from T-Mobile, does anyone have experience with it and T-Mobile in France?

I am also considering the new Samsung i730 from Verizon if it comes out in time. Does anyone have experience with Verizon in...
(continues)
simplymarcus

Jun 1, 2005, 7:18 AM
Go with the EDGE card for cingular. That comapq ipac 6135 has got some issues. I have heard T-Mobile in France has excellent coverage.
smd

Jun 2, 2005, 8:03 PM
Verizon will NOT work in France, only tmobile or cingular
Aarynk

Jun 2, 2005, 8:37 PM
smd said:
Verizon will NOT work in France, only tmobile or cingular

Unless you get a Samsung A790 phone which has both CDMA for the states and GSM for over seas. 🙂
simplymarcus

Jun 3, 2005, 5:11 PM
Make sure u get an international data plan from whichever carreri you choose.
pcrisp07

Jun 3, 2005, 8:40 PM
if you need a pocket pc get the siemens one from Cingular and the Sierra wireless data card because it's quadband so you'll get better coverage in France. If you can get them both unlocked and find a carrier in France who will offer better data rates.
elihuspeaks

Jun 7, 2005, 4:52 PM
If you are looking for a PDA or phone to use primarily overseas, T-Mobile is your best option. The international coverage (particularly in Europe) is the best out of any of the US carriers, and their international roaming rates as well. If you get the $20 data plan, then you can pay the international data roaming rate of 1.5 cents per kb to use the internet in France.

Alternately, you can get your phone unlocked and use local prepaid service while you are over there. If you want to use it with and aircard - just add the data plan to your line, and buy an unlocked unbranded aircard while you're over there (cheaper and better technology).

Also, the issues with the IPAQ through t-mobile have been mostly resolved with the latest patch...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.