Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 5 replies

physco1110

Jan 28, 2005, 2:19 AM
hmm where do i start i am totally new at this... 😕 i have a couple of questions and im really sorry if they have already been answered.
well i was looking at samstores.com under GSM USA and worldwide use cellphones. say i buy one that is triband...where do i start to get it to work in the USA? on the site it says 1900MHz phones work with at&t, voice stream, t-mobile, and rogers (?) do i just bring the phone to one of the above places and sign up? im totally confused but theres is this one phone i would really like to get. thanks for your time 🙂
physco1110

Jan 28, 2005, 2:43 AM
im sorry i left out another question uhmm under [network] in the info about the phone it says [GSM 900 / GSM 1800 / GSM 1900] will this phone work in america? or do i have to live in a place that supports ALL of those networks? or is there a place that even supports all three?
zjc2a

Jan 28, 2005, 3:49 AM
900 and 1800 mhz is not supported at all in the US, only Europe. T-mobile's network uses all 1900 mhz PCS band towers so it will work fine within their coverage perameters. Cingular has 1900 mhz towers in many areas, I.E. NY,VA,Fl. and you should not have any trouble in those areas. You do not have to live in an area that supports all 3 bands mentioned in your previous post by the way, 1900 is the only ony you mentioned supported in the US. Cingular uses 850mhz band in all other markets that it does not have 1900. Where are you located and maybe some one can tell you what the frequency bandwidth is used in the areas you will primarily uses your phone in. Hope this helps

-z
physco1110

Jan 28, 2005, 4:14 AM
thank you so much =)!! i currently live in san jose CA ...im not sure what the frequency bandwidth here is but im sure i can find out thanks again !
donvito

Feb 2, 2005, 11:31 PM
get a phone that's made for US market 800/1900 at least and look for quad bands
800/900/1800/1900
if u buy a phone without a contract it'll cost u more (about $100/200 more) than going to a store and buying the same phone if available with a contract
but if u bring a phone to a store to activate here u got to be careful don't pay nothing extra some stores charge you for a sim card
but the best thing to do leave the phone at home get a one or two year plan take a free phone get home swap the sim card and keep the free one as backup
make sure the phone u buy is unlocked at least carrier unlocked
preferaby factory unlocked
zjc2a

Jan 28, 2005, 3:50 AM
by the way Rogers is a Canadian Corporation.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.