Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

True World Phones seem to be here now

karlweaver

Sep 29, 2004, 12:21 PM
I'm trying to find out if anybody has tested or used two new, I mean brand new Worldphones operating under CDMA 1X 1900MHz in the USA (or 800MHz) and GSM 900/1800MHz in Europe/Asia. The two phones I'm talking about are

1) Samsung SCh-a790 Global Phone
2) Motorola A840 World Phone

The first phone seems to be available by Verizon, but not retail currently. It seems the only way to get it is through their web site. The second phone is still not available to my knowledge, even though it announced back in March at CTIA show. My guess is that it will have to be either Verizon or Spint but neither confirm they are brining it out.

Does anybody have any feedback. Please e-mail me at karlweaver@earthlink.net

Regards,
Karl Weaver
BowWowWow

Sep 29, 2004, 1:30 PM
The A790 SHOULD be available by special order from a Verizon Communications store. They won't keep any on hand due to its high cost & relatively low demand. When it first came out, it was only available from a special B2B sales unit. They had received special training on it, etc.

The Motorola A840 was originally intended for Verizon. Motorola has had asshat syndrome for a while now - notice the problems with reasonably complicated phones like the T720, V600, V710 & so on. Nobody around here has any idea what's going on with it, my guess is that either there are manufacturing/QA issues with the handset (most likely) OR that VZW has sold fewer of the Samsung A790s than it feels comfortable with.

I seriously doubt that Sprint will carry ...
(continues)
Rich Brome

Oct 14, 2004, 1:25 PM
Karl,

There's an A790 review here:

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Id=858&source=S ... »

plus a bunch of user reviews here:

https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/user_reviews.php?p ... »

Sprint will also offer the Samsung A790 within the next few months.

The Motorola A840 will be out with Verizon by the end of the year. The main advantage of the A840 is that it supports GPRS, so you can do things like take and send photos via MMS while overseas.
jas259871

Dec 31, 2004, 10:06 PM
Go with Cingualr they have the most roaming agreement and there quad band phones work in the most amout of places in the world

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.