Home  ›  Forums  ›

Development

all discussions

show all 5 replies

Verizon Samsung SCH U740 hack

curiousapps

May 1, 2007, 9:21 PM
Am I the only one that is completely perturbed by fact that Verizon has the same firmware on ALL their phones - whereby killing the entire idea of CHOOSING a phone and it's "unique" functions? Now it's all about looks and nothing else.

I would switch service, but just discovered this after renewing my contract. The last resort would be to get a new battery for my old Verizon phone which was supposedly lower tech compared to this snazzy Samsung, but actually waaayyyy better because it doesn't have the crappy Verizon firmware on all the phones now. It's really killing the experience.

I used to be able to text a message w/ photo to email addresses. Can't even do that now.

Can anyone please help me hack my Samsung SCH U740 and get rid ...
(continues)
Rich Brome

May 2, 2007, 3:19 PM
... Can anyone please help me hack my Samsung SCH U740 and get rid of the Verizon firmware? Also - what can I replace it with? ...

Ah, but that's the problem. There is nothing to replace it with. The U740 is - so far - exclusive to Verizon Wireless, so the only version of the software I'm aware of is the Verizon version. If it won't come to other carriers, then it's likely that no "generic" version was ever - or will ever - be developed.

If it does come to other carriers with a generic software version, then in theory there might be some way to flash the software from that version to your Verizon-branded hardware, but there would be a huge amount of difficulty and risk in that, and even if it worked flawlessly, a...
(continues)
JAnthon88

May 5, 2007, 8:51 AM
You should be able to send a pix message to e-mail without a problem. If it isn't working, you may want to call 611 and get on the phone with tech support. The ability to do that isn't blocked as far as I know. I do it all the time 🙂
robtheman

May 16, 2007, 2:02 AM
Tech support's answer is: We don't guarantee that it will work.

They say that (I think) because it doesn't work with all email domains. I've never had a problem sending pictures to a Yahoo account though.
chocolateman85006

May 23, 2007, 8:31 PM
Me either.
cliffr39

Sep 3, 2007, 12:14 AM
OK so this phone has now been out about 5 or 6 months now, and is also released in Canada... any word on a generic firmware?

I want to switch from AT&T to Verizon but holding out until they have some good phones that support bluetooth file transfer to send camera-phone pictures to my MacBook.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.