Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 5 replies

Questionnnssss about GPS

itt

Aug 9, 2006, 8:07 PM
Are there phones out w/ GPS? as in navigation systems like the cars? If so which company and which phones, thanks
sptddog

Aug 10, 2006, 6:11 AM
I just got the Chocolate from Verizon which offers the additional GPS service called VZNavigator. Price wise, it's pretty good compared to purchasing a 500 dollar GPS device. 2.99 for 24 hours of use, 9.99 a month if you subscribe. 30 days free initially.

I've used it quite a bit the last few days during my 30 day free period. It's every bit as accurate and nifty as my friend's Garmin c-320. The screen is smaller, but it speaks commands to you, and gives you time to arrival etc. I'm pretty happy with it for the low cost and convenience of not having another gadget.

I sit my phone in my ipod holder and that way I can see the screen while I drive.
trm77

Aug 10, 2006, 6:12 AM
I have used an application called TeleNav to help get from place to place and it works great! You can see what phones it supports by going to www.telenav.com.

To see which phones have GPS, you can use the Phone Finder link to the left. Be sure to click on 'Show all options'. One option is for GPS.

Hope this helps!
bulldude

Aug 10, 2006, 1:06 PM
Yup, VZW and Sprint/Nextel are the two companies who offer GPS nav systems. Couldn't tell you which is better, as I only see the VZW half of the equation, but they are probably pretty equal as far as accuracy of directions and such. I have a slight bias against the Nextel version, as it only works in the car, not so well in the car garage. VZW & Sprint won't work all that well, but they are *theoretically* a bit better in places you can't see the sky. Sprint's stuff with their power vision phones and VZW's stuff should be a tad better.
sowhatsowhat10

Aug 12, 2006, 5:59 PM
try wayfinder.com its compatable with alot of phones espically cingular
Rich Brome

Aug 12, 2006, 10:36 PM
All Sprint and Verizon phones for the past several years technically have GPS, but on many it can only be used for E-911, not consumer applications.

But the very newest Sprint and Verizon phones do have the Java APIs that allow navigation software, etc. to work.

Nextel was a bit smarter. They also added GPS to their phones to comply with E-911 regulations, but they added the Java API part a couple of years ago, so many more of their phones can do the whole navigation thing.

Cingular and T-Mobile don't use GPS for E-91, but there are still some smartphones and PDA phones that you can use with them that have GPS, or are compatible with Bluetooth GPS receivers.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.