Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 12 replies

Cingular iTunes Vs. VZW's V-Cast Music

hauntnut

Mar 9, 2006, 1:40 AM
In one corner, we have iTunes, a pre-established music listening platform that has been in circulation for years, and gave birth to the infamous iPod.

In the opposite corner, we have the carrier touted as "America's Most Reliable Wireless" introducing V-Cast Music, giving wireless phone users the capability to download songs to their handset from their handset, thus relieving them of the needless hassle of logging on, hoping that the P2P user on the other end of their download doesn't log off or crash.

Two forms of mobile music, two different companies. Cingular, while still considered by many to be an up-and-comer when compared to Verizon Wireless, was the first wireless carrier to introduce a popular form of multimedia freedom with ...
(continues)
liquifiedgr00ve

May 30, 2006, 7:28 PM
Just letting you know that you can change the settings in the 8100 to allow mp3s.
evilbstrd666

Jun 1, 2006, 6:48 PM
Verizon should never have turned it off in the first place.

Verizon's locking of phone features will cost them customers.

They certainly have pissed me off enough.
crxtreme89

Jun 3, 2006, 4:46 PM
They may be locked now. Sooner or later they will stop locking their phones and there will be way better options available on their phones in comparison to other providers.
liquifiedgr00ve

Jun 6, 2006, 10:15 AM
you guys act like verizon said "muhahahaa!" we're gonna make this phone an mp3 player now. Just when everyone gets used to that, then we'll change it! WMP is just a program that alot of people are familiar with and they offered a service to make the music transfer easier.
ronm999

Jun 17, 2006, 11:34 PM
Verizon has a history of disabling features on phones so it forces you to use their "Pay for this feature" software such as Get It Now. I bought a V710 and found that OBEX was disabled so it forced me to use their picture messaging service to get pictures off the phone, or Get It Now to transfer backgrounds and ring tones to the phone. After my year contract was up (luckily I only signed up for a year) I transfered my service over to TMobile. Now I can do what I want with my phone, and am only limited by the features of the phone, not the features that are disabled.
Vatothe0

Jun 26, 2006, 1:03 AM
People have been saying this tired line for years and yet Verizon adds record numbers of new customers and has record setting low numbers of customers leaving! When will this trend start? Next year? 5 years from now? How about never?

Most people that have Verizon, aren't phone nerds. Most of them are people that value a quality product and quality support.
japhy

Jun 5, 2006, 6:04 PM
Cingular's adoption of 2 phones made by 1 manufacturer doesn't make iTunes theirs by any means. VCast is a Verizon specific invention, where as the integration of iTunes onto a phone is an attempt to jump on a bandwagon. Notice that it's listed as a feature of the phone, and that in the advertising, they say "Phone with iTunes" but not a word more than that? Cingular doesn't actually support this service, because it isn't theirs to champion; they're just riding Apple's coattails.

I agree with your assessment, by the way, in that it's a far superior service to VCast (and, for that matter, just about any other music download service), but from what I've heard/seen of VCast, it's likely to get much cooler.
Anxiovert

Jun 25, 2006, 2:13 PM
japhy said:
...from what I've heard/seen of VCast, it's likely to get much cooler.

Mmmmya! by 2009 🙄
Smartass1632

Jun 11, 2006, 2:12 PM
I work for Verizon and I think that VCAST music is set up terribly. I don't sell the program with any kind of integrity. Minimum $50 for VCAST music capable phone. Another $50 if for the Music Essentials Kit (software, USB cable, etc.)$40-$50 for a decent Transflash or Mini SD card, and $15/month for the ability to pay $1-$2 per song. No thanks.

If a customer walks in inquiring about VCAST music, my first question (if I'm not getting shopped) is "Do you have an IPOD?" If their answer is yes, I try to talk them out of VCAST music. If there answer is no, I advise them to go and buy an IPOD.
Vatothe0

Jun 26, 2006, 1:32 AM
Smartass1632 said:
I work for Verizon and I think that VCAST music is set up terribly. I don't sell the program with any kind of integrity. Minimum $50 for VCAST music capable phone. Another $50 if for the Music Essentials Kit (software, USB cable, etc.)$40-$50 for a decent Transflash or Mini SD card, and $15/month for the ability to pay $1-$2 per song. No thanks.

If a customer walks in inquiring about VCAST music, my first question (if I'm not getting shopped) is "Do you have an IPOD?" If their answer is yes, I try to talk them out of VCAST music. If there answer is no, I advise them to go and buy an IPOD.

You are an embarassment to the company.

The music essentials kit is $30 at most thoug...
(continues)
bigbopper

Sep 9, 2006, 6:58 PM
Besides music & music videos, How does it work, On VCAST, watching TV shows on the cell? Can you watch it as long as the battery holds?
Vatothe0

Jun 26, 2006, 1:22 AM
hauntnut said:
And when it comes to the equipment, Cingular currently has the upper hand. Verizon Wireless will charge you not only for the phone and standard accessories that come with it, but in order to use V-Cast Music, you must purchase the Music Essentials Kit, which includes a USB cable, software for Windows Media Player 10, and headphones. Even a memory card will cost you extra. Having recently purchased a SLVR L7, I was surprised to find that not only did I receive the phone, but a pre-installed 512MB memory card, headphones, and a USB cable, all right in the box. Talk about more value for your money.

I bet you get excited to save half off a product that's been marked up 300% too huh?

The L7 is...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.