Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 5 replies

The Difference

Craftabc

Jun 9, 2004, 12:53 PM
I have been in the business for about a year now, i have GSM Carriers, CDMA Carriers, as well as TDMA Carriers. I just wanted to know what the difference is as fare as frequency or whatever.

P.S. i can barely spell Technology let alone determine the difference
VZWCustServ

Jun 9, 2004, 3:59 PM
(Cut pasted from the Glossary)
Code-Division Multiple Access.

CDMA is a digital wireless technology. It is a general type of technology, implemented in many specific technologies. But the term "CDMA" is also commonly used to refer to one specific implementation: IS-95 - a mobile-phone technology that competes with technologies such as GSM.

CDMA is a "spread spectrum" technology, which means that it spreads the information contained in a particular signal of interest over a much greater bandwidth than the original signal.

Unlike many competing technogies, CDMA has no hard limit for the number of users who may share one base station (tower). Instead, with CDMA, additional users can connect until the base station determines that call ...
(continues)
Rich Brome

Jun 10, 2004, 5:32 PM
All three of the major digital technologies (the ones you mentioned) operate in the same two U.S. frequency bands. So the differences don't have anything to do with frequencies.

TDMA is easy - it's dying, if not dead. It's being phased out by all carriers still using it. Most TDMA carriers are moving to GSM, although some smaller ones are moving to CDMA.

CDMA encompasses many distinct technologies. Most CDMA carriers currently use a version called CDMA2000 1xRTT. There is an older version called IS-95, and also newer versions such as 1xEV-DO and 1xEV-DV. Generally, the newer versions have greater data speeds and can handle more voice calls (more capacity).

GSM has a similar history of upgrades, including AMR, GPRS, and EDGE. But EDG...
(continues)
Rich Brome

Jun 10, 2004, 5:33 PM
🤭 I meant to say:

"and so WCDMA (not be confused with CDMA) is the next network technology for carriers currently using GSM"
Craftabc

Jun 11, 2004, 9:21 AM
Thanks Rich, But i want to here it from the source. Who do you have service with. What is your favorite kind of network. I am personally and Alltel fan even though i have Cingular. Alltel gets The best coverage in my area, even compared to Verizon. Also, since i dont have alot of people that leave NC and SC i can get the the GF 1300 for 49.95. its simply the best thing we can offer them. as well as the best commision.
phonepimp3376

Jun 17, 2004, 2:13 PM
What it really comes down to is what works best in your area, regardless of the technology. Some areas CDMA rules, some GSM is better. If you are handling multi carriers and technologies, find out what works best in your area, listen to your customer's input, and pair them with what works best. Many variables apply, so there will never be one 'best'.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.