Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 13 replies

Need some advice....

speedbump

Sep 14, 2005, 9:10 PM
To make a long story short, I haven't been particuarly happy with my service from Cingular. The Customer Service is decent, but my major complaint is with the signal quality/service. I am looking into alternative providers and have researched the various frequency types, CDMA, GSM etc and just want opinions on what service provider is best for me. I am not a data user at all, I have a laptop w/air card and a Blackberry for that(both for work), so my personal phone is strictly used for calling friends/family and not using internet on it etc. So in my instance, using the phone for voice, would it be better to find a CDMA provider compared to what im using now (GSM)?? Or am I just having a bad experience with Cingular and their GSM network...
(continues)
borisg

Sep 16, 2005, 7:19 PM
well first things first, out of the two gsm services, cingular and tmobile, cingular is the better one, tmobile has the worst service, thats the reason they give so many minutes in their plans. i can't really say if gsm is better or cdma but verizon is hands down the best service available. it is a cdma service, sprint is an ok service, but i know that it is worst than verizon(my friend told me she took her mom's verizon phone one day and got full service at her job, where her sprint phone has none, but it depends where you live i'm in nyc. if you want good service verizon is your best bet, however they do give a low amount of minutes and you will be paying more in fees, i have the 40 dollar plan, currently they give 450 anytime and unlim...
(continues)
michaelhkoch

Sep 16, 2005, 10:07 PM
CDMA is the most advanced technology. In the US only sprint and verizon use this. Verizon has higher prices then Sprint. Both companys have good service, but verizon works in a few more out of the way places. But seriously if you live in a city with over 30,000 people it shouldn't make a difference. Also hands down the phones at sprint are much nicer.With the launch of EVDO this year sprint is going to have so many nice phones.
jerry 12

Sep 17, 2005, 3:32 PM
excuses me their are a lot of cdma carries. uscc/alltel/ 😁
borisg

Sep 17, 2005, 7:02 PM
well we're talking about the big ones, i personally wouldn't get service from a reseller or a small company. but there is a difference between services, especially in a big city like nyc. the reason for this is some companies don't have as good coverage all over there has to be a higher concentration of service in cities like nyc, chicago, anywhere where there is a lot of development because of the fact that skyscrapers get in the way of service.
jerry 12

Sep 18, 2005, 7:40 PM
borisg said:
well we're talking about the big ones, i personally wouldn't get service from a reseller or a small company. but there is a difference between services, especially in a big city like nyc. the reason for this is some companies don't have as good coverage all over there has to be a higher concentration of service in cities like nyc, chicago, anywhere where there is a lot of development because of the fact that skyscrapers get in the way of service.

i am not talking about a reseller. alltel and uscc have millions of customers each. 😡
borisg

Sep 19, 2005, 7:11 PM
sorry didn't mean o offend any1 i didn't know they were big companies. i only see advertising for the what now is big 4(since sprint-nextel)
scott_madison1

Sep 24, 2005, 12:36 AM
they are big in a different part of the country bud, like here in kansas. alltell is huge. its kinda like we dont have a jack in the box, but thier huge out on the west coast.

verizon is the best cell co i have ever dealt with. thier cust service is kinda ****ty, but if you email them and make a point you will get treated well.

i get service almost anywhere with them.
borisg

Sep 24, 2005, 7:22 PM
really? u think their customer service is bad, i've always had a great experience with cust service. one time i had a late payment they took off the charge cuz i was good before they took off charges that i didn't know were suppposed to be there wen i signed up for hte wrong thing, i've had a real good experience with their service, maybe u just got unlucky wit hthe representative the times that you called, but service is the same everywhere, great
lorilicious

Sep 17, 2005, 10:12 AM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
I personally don't like GSM. If you want CDMA, you probably should go with sprint, better phones, better service, better coverage than verizon. verizon is alright don't get me wrong (so all you verizon lovers get off me!) but is more expensive than it should be. Sprint is more price sensible and they have killer services. I would look into both but I insure verizon wireless and I've heard too many horror stories to mention.
Humdizzle

Sep 17, 2005, 2:25 PM
I second that motion! 😁
BeardoMcWeirdo

Sep 20, 2005, 11:12 AM
Just like others have said. Everybody has an opinon, CDMA indeed has better call quality since it is running at a 1900 mhz frequency and GSM runs at 850mhz. although GSM doesnt need as many towers since the footprint is larger with a lower frequency. The big problem is that GSM hasn't been in the U.S. anywhere nere as long as CDMA or TDMA. As for CDMA sprint dominates with an ALL DIGITAL network. what does that mean well Sprint doesnt own any analog towers unlike verizon who still runs these jurassic age towers. Analog equals static, echo's and frequent dropped calls.. So now that we have the network covered it's time to move on to the phones.. If anybody has looked at the JD power and associates awards this year they'll realize that Sanyo h...
(continues)
CDMAAOK

Sep 22, 2005, 2:04 AM
Verizon now offers to let you backdate your plan, since july now. They offer #646 from the cell phn to check min, the internet to check min, and you can change the plan anytime. What more flexibility do you need? Plus you get most reliable network. VZW is like the Gambino family, they wack out all other crews. 😎
Vox Dei

Sep 23, 2005, 4:28 PM
CDMA, TDMA, GSM all run on both 850 and 1900. Some companys like Sprint and Tmobile only use 1900 (one is CDMA and one is GSM respectivly). GSM needs MORE towers because their towers have a much smaller footprint. GSM has a hard limit on its range due to a time delay effect. This is why Cingular has almost twice as many GSM towers as Verizon has CDMA towers. Now AMPS(analog) has the largest foot print but that's because it brodcasts at 3watts instead of the .6 watts that any of the digital uses.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.