Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

New CDMA/GSM phones coming out??

NTKbasis

Mar 21, 2004, 8:50 AM
I read on this board that there will possibly be a new CDMA/GSM phone coming out this year that would accommodate both platforms. Anyone know what this is all about??

I am currently with Cingular/TDMA and am considering a new phone. I am considering staying with Cingular and pursuing the GSM route or going with Verizon Wireless/CDMA. The GSM v. CDMA posts have been very helpful, but there are many areas in the US that may not be adequately covered by GSM in a "reasonable" amount of time. (hence: no service in those areas)
Rich Brome

Mar 21, 2004, 9:50 AM
Yes, Verizon will be offering the Samsung SCH-A790 later this year. However, it will not function on U.S. GSM networks - only overseas. It's designed strictly to be a "world phone" option for Verizon customers.

The SCH-A790 will only support European frequencies in GSM mode. Even if it did support U.S. frequencies, Verizon doesn't have any domestic GSM roaming agreements, so it would be a moot point.

Not that it's a major issue - Verizon's CDMA coverage is much larger than most current GSM networks, so not being able to use GSM in the U.S. shouldn't be an issue for most people.

However, with the pending merger of AT&T and Cingular, the resulting Cingular will have great GSM coverage about a year from now...

But if you can't wait ...
(continues)
MW2

Mar 21, 2004, 1:59 PM
there is also the gait phone option if he still wants to consider gsm.
Rich Brome

Mar 26, 2004, 10:12 PM
I should add that Motorola just announced the A840 - another GSM/CDMA phone coming out. It's a bit better than the A790 in a few ways, such as having a megapixel camera. The A840 also has GPRS, so you can use data overseas; the A790 is voice-only in GSM mode.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.