Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 8 replies

Under "there's no such thing as a dumb question"....

AbbyOh7

Jun 1, 2005, 8:08 PM
Am I to understand that with all the phones out there I'm only able to use a phone that
is listed under a particular servers name?
Like with Verizon - I can only use the phones that they list on their web site? What's with all this talk of trading a sim card from one phone to another?

If you like a particular phone, but it's on another network, then you have to change your provider?? Very odd.

I don't get it.
HeroPsychoDreamer

Jun 1, 2005, 8:32 PM
All GSM phones use SIM cards.

GSM carriers are Cingular and T-Mobile.

With GSM, you can by any unlocked phone, take the SIM card out of your old phone and put it into your new one and you're good to go.

CDMA phones (Verizon, Sprint) are what's activated. GSM phones, the SIM card is whats activated. And you can put the SIM card into any unlocked GSM phone and use that phone.

Carriers lock their phones though, so if it's a locked GSM phone you can only put in a SIM from that specific carrier.

I hope this helps, any more questions feel free to ask!
AbbyOh7

Jun 1, 2005, 8:40 PM
That's just the kind of explanation I could
understand!! Thank you for the enlightenment.

What does CDMA stand for?

And what's this GSM, digital, CDMA coverage -
are these all different?

I'm still trying to figure out if I should go
to Cingluar or Verizon for getting phone service. I've got Cingular now, but at place
we go to by the beach can't use my phone - yet I go 2 blocks and can use it just fine.
HeroPsychoDreamer

Jun 1, 2005, 8:45 PM
CDMA stands fro Code Division Multiple Access.

GSM and CDMA are very different. They are both digital though.

Verizon may give you better service but you lose alot of freedom with your phone. You can easily upload things to your phone without having to pay, you cant download things from your phone to your computer without having to pay. Verizon will charge you for everything they possibly can.

Cingular isnt as notorious but their coverage isnt as good as Verizon's, but its still good.

You have to decide what important factors there are in your cellular service and phone, and see which would fit you better personally.
AbbyOh7

Jun 1, 2005, 8:49 PM
Coverage and service is more important than
the downloads - wouldn't use that much anyway.

Thanks again.....
HeroPsychoDreamer

Jun 1, 2005, 8:51 PM
Go w/ Verizon then if Cingular isnt working for you.
HeroPsychoDreamer

Jun 1, 2005, 8:51 PM
Actually.. 1 question. Are you currently using a TDMA phone w/ Cingular? What kind of phone is it?
AbbyOh7

Jun 2, 2005, 1:07 PM
GSM only
HeroPsychoDreamer

Jun 2, 2005, 1:14 PM
Go with Verizon then.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.