Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 15 replies

The possible future of cell service?

jamorr

Mar 29, 2005, 1:21 PM
This is all supposition so take it as you will but I have been reading alot about some new tech that sounds interesting. Also sounds like the AT&T parent investors( not the company being bought out the investors) are moving in this direction. Here's how it works- the device when in proximity to a wifi network works on VOIP technology and allows data access at full or better than cable internet speed. When in an area not covered by wifi the phone would access a cellular network. Your service provider at least initially would most likely be an MVNO (like the one the at&t was planning before the sbc buyout deal ). Nice thing is that the wifi spectrum is unliscensed so the access in those areas should be dirt cheap. I believe this is why the at&...
(continues)
Rich Brome

Mar 31, 2005, 1:14 PM
Yep, that's called UMA - Unlicensed Mobile Access. It's a pretty slick standard. Here's a little more about it from our 3GSM report:

https://www.phonescoop.com/articles/3gsm_2005/index. ... »
swamp_donkey

Mar 31, 2005, 2:15 PM
So if I'm understanding this correctly, a UMA phone is like a GAIT phone, such as a 6340i, but instead of TDMA and GSM it works on 802.11 and GSM, correct? I can certainly see how cost would drop because of this, but how would it work for account verification? Would it essentially be calling a website and transferred to a phone line from there? It seems like a bad-a$$ idea, and I can only imagine what sort of applications (like UMTS) it would be able to use off of a wifi platform. Any idea when we might see the first one for a major provider?
Rich Brome

Mar 31, 2005, 2:36 PM
Well, sort of...

What it does is "tunnel" the whole GSM or CDMA connection through an IP connection over the Internet.

Everything else is the same as a cellular call or connection. It's still your normal phone interface, SIM, everything on your end. And on the other end of the connection is still your wireless company's core network (T-Mobile, etc.).

It's just that the link is via the Internet instead of a cellular tower - that's absolutely the only technical difference. So this is not instead of GSM or CDMA - GSM or CDMA is still the protocol. This is just an alternate/additional layer for GSM or CDMA to operate over. So account verification, etc is all still the same.

So it's not really like "calling a website and [being...
(continues)
muchdrama

Mar 31, 2005, 3:11 PM
Rich Brome said:
Well, sort of...

What it does is "tunnel" the whole GSM or CDMA connection through an IP connection over the Internet.

Everything else is the same as a cellular call or connection. It's still your normal phone interface, SIM, everything on your end. And on the other end of the connection is still your wireless company's core network (T-Mobile, etc.).

It's just that the link is via the Internet instead of a cellular tower - that's absolutely the only technical difference. So this is not instead of GSM or CDMA - GSM or CDMA is still the protocol. This is just an alternate/additional layer for GSM or CDMA to operate over. So account verification, etc is all still the same.

So it's not real
(continues)
swamp_donkey

Mar 31, 2005, 3:36 PM
No joke!! Everyone asks when we are putting up a tower in their area because of poor indoor reception. Sounds like the end of that, and you won't have to buy an expensive amplifier either. And I just set up my wireless LAN a couple days ago. I can't wait!! 😁
BetterThanJake

May 11, 2005, 12:18 AM
Plus, it would seem that if your getting VoIP through your cell phone at home, you should be getting your minutes cheap or free at home, another plus.

After all, you'd be using the internet, not your cellular network.
jamorr

Mar 31, 2005, 4:38 PM
What will be interesting is when the real end of this sort of technology can be realized. With more communities adding WIFI on a wide scale basis with free access eventually you may be able to cut a wireless provider out of the picture entirely. With the right voip software you could get one phone number assigned to you through a voip carrier and use it at home and through a voip capable mobile phone. Already I know people trying to do this sort of thing on their own. I'd like to learn how myself but it would be useless for me as the area I live in is poor in free wifi hotspots.
swamp_donkey

Mar 31, 2005, 4:48 PM
I have yet to use Skype, which is a wildly popular voip progroam, but they already have a version of it for mobiles that run windows mobile os. All you need is one that can connect to wifi, such as the Siemens SX66, and install the program. Viola, a voip cellphone. Granted it will not transition like UMA, but if you are running out of daytime minutes, it may be a way to go. I don't know about completely edging out any actual carriers, as wifi does not have near the range as an actual tower, but carriers could be hurt severely in urban areas if people pushed to get that accomplished. Wouldn't that be a sight to see? 😈
jamorr

Mar 31, 2005, 5:44 PM
The "problem" with alot of existing voip programs is that they still cost something to use, granted some are free if you are calling someone "in network" but for the most part they still usually cost something. I'd love to see an open source project devoted to developing voip software- if there is one I'm unaware of it. Not everything can be free but with the increasing pervasiveness of connectivity it would be nice to see telecommunications unified into a more affordable package rather than paying for phone, internet and cell service seperately.
stevelvl

May 10, 2005, 8:51 AM
swamp_donkey said:
Any idea when we might see the first one for a major provider?

sprint in the next year as soon as they get the bugs worked out.

you will also see some realy cool things from the sprint time warner venture. you can already get unlimited calling between you speint phone any your timer warner phone as well as get it all on one bill. you will see some really amazuing things though after the ev-do launch. like the ability to program your dvr from your phone and eventually the abillity to watch your dvr from your phone
jamorr

May 10, 2005, 5:23 PM
Actually no carrier is anywhere near full uma implementation. Some are going to soon be offering phones that will work wi-fi in certain areas but to build a nationwide all wifi net isn't practical yet cost wise. Essentially it would be an all new tower system. Though I agree the sprint/tw partnership could turn out some interesting applications.
BetterThanJake

May 11, 2005, 12:32 AM
Cool. But am I really gonna watch a lot of TV on my 2" cellphone screen? ☚ī¸

Heck, its not even 2" for TV purposes, since most cellphone screens are the wrong shape (1:1 or worse) for 4:3 (or god help ya, 16:9) TV/movie video. You'd have to either letterbox it or cut the left and right sides of the image out.

Honestly, something like a Sony PSP with a cellphone add-on would be way better for this sort of 'TV on the go' thing. 4.3-inch screen, and its the right shape too (16:9).
dadler22

May 11, 2005, 1:26 AM
We have all seen the attempt at the cellphone/gameboy, attempt and i am still đŸ¤Ŗ

After Nokias embarrassment 🤭 i don't think you will See to many PSP wireless phones, unless someone got creative and took some duct tape and wrapped their phone and PSP together. 🙄

But, yes mobile TV is not the best quality, but its better than nothing, it does help entertain you at idle times, but we all can agree that it is far from the real deal.

As it has been said before no, you wont be watching alot of TV and what its really for at this point is a business person that needs up to the minuet news and stock reports, will it become a multimedia standard for hundreds of channels 😕

You also have to remember the bigger the screen t...
(continues)
shayalon

May 11, 2005, 12:23 PM
What if...

This brings to mind the idea of a projector cell phone. It would project the video image on any white (or light colored) surface. I don't know about the logistics involved, but it would certainly solve the screen size problem, and it would make video phones much more usable. Is this even possible?
crazyjeremy

May 11, 2005, 1:11 PM
I think someone already tried to market a projector cell phone. Can't remember the name / link...

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.