Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 15 replies

ENS, use stronger cingular/att signal

ftp

Feb 22, 2005, 1:53 PM
Is anyone familiar with "ENS" i spoke to a cingular sales rep who indicated that all their phones (except the nokia 6230) have "ENS" which lets them pick up the strongest available tower signal strength wether it is att or cingular. he indicated that the Nokia 6230 did not have this, rather it would hold on to an att tower signal even if there was a much stronger cingular signal available. told me the phone would not have as reliable reception/call hold because of this. He indicated that the "ENS" feature was somehow related to the 64K card in all the other phones.

Is anyone familiar with "ENS" and if what the rep said is true or if i missed something in the interpretation? i just recvd the nokia 6230 (which by the way the packing slip i...
(continues)
Aarynk

Feb 22, 2005, 2:19 PM
ftp said:
Is anyone familiar with "ENS" i spoke to a cingular sales rep who indicated that all their phones (except the nokia 6230) have "ENS" which lets them pick up the strongest available tower signal strength wether it is att or cingular. he indicated that the Nokia 6230 did not have this, rather it would hold on to an att tower signal even if there was a much stronger cingular signal available. told me the phone would not have as reliable reception/call hold because of this. He indicated that the "ENS" feature was somehow related to the 64K card in all the other phones.

I was told any phone sent out after "day 1" Nov. 15 was ENS capable. I have a 6230 and mine did come with a 64k sim card. I was also told it WAS
(continues)
phoneguy3376

Feb 22, 2005, 4:46 PM
The first phone released with ENS was the SonyEricsson Z500A... most phones released AFTER that one are ENS. Most phones in Cingular's selection right now do not have ENS built in, but that does not mean you will access less of the network. ENS simply makes more efficient use of the network by always grabbing the strongest tower in any given area.
javen44

Feb 23, 2005, 10:15 AM
I know for sure my Samsung e317 has ENS capability, FYI.
phoneguy3376

Feb 23, 2005, 10:45 AM
Nope, sorry. Whoever provided you with that info was in error.
joef3

Feb 23, 2005, 12:52 PM
Any phone released on November 15th or later has ENS. This includes, but is not limited to,
Moto v551, v3, LGf9100,SE z500a and ANY OTHER PHONE RELEASED POST MERGER.

Not sure about the 6230. I was under the impression it was ENS, but to be honest I don't remember when it came out.

-Joe

P.s. the second generation e317 IS ens. They came out with the e317...bunch of problems..it went away for a month or two and then came back with the problems fixed and ENS capable.
armyofun

Feb 24, 2005, 7:17 PM
just for clairification, what is ENS and what does it stand for. this way i can tell all my customers that only we have this great new technology. thanks 😉
burntorange

Apr 3, 2005, 3:25 PM
Don't know about the acronym but it is also possible for tech support to tell the sim to prioritize blue or orange towers. If the customer for example had better service at home or work with AT&T, it can be fixed with a call to tech support. 😁
GSM guy

Apr 27, 2005, 5:37 PM
ENS stands "Enhanced Network Selection".
eddybabyhd

Mar 8, 2005, 8:08 PM
you can have a ENS capable phone and a 64K SIM, but if you do not live in an area where Cingular has chosen to Load Balance you...then the so called efficient "network switch" does nothing for you...the only cusotmers that will see a definant difference in their service is new cusotmer...sorry for you exsisting ones...why would cingular change your exsisting service...If you want to be specific, your terms and conditions state that Cingular cannot chnage yoru exsisting service...now most people would contribute that to being a bad thing, but that goes both ways...BTW, ENS phones do not search for the strongest network availible, they simply have th ability to do so...that doesnt mean they do
JamieKay

Mar 15, 2005, 8:15 PM
Isn't that great.... lets all take advantage of that Allover network! Well, ok maybe only half of us will. ha!
Bigbmc26

Mar 15, 2005, 8:21 PM
that's also incorrect, exsisting customers and use a new ENS handset and a 64k SIM and us att towers. the att towers here in NC were opened up to us a few months ago.
mcgee

Mar 5, 2005, 2:46 AM
as far as ENS goes, i dont believe reception is the key issue. ENS was in place, as far as i know, to balance between the att networks and the cingular network, so that one networks switches dont get loaded up. so if your a new customer and the cingular newtork is heavy at that time you will be switched to ATT, or vice versa.
DarkVampireGod

Mar 15, 2005, 4:10 PM
this is incorrect, the phone as far as i know has nothing to do with which tower or signal it uses, while some phones ( the t62u from memory) did have a forbidden sid list, gsm phones are mostly governed by the sim, now the 32's had the lovely bit of tech built in where the phone would continue to pull from a tower even if there are a closer or stronger tower untill it completly loses signal from that tower, then it will search for a new one, well the 64's were build ( if you can consider it building) without that programing in the sim, so it does not do that, i belive that is what he was refering to, but the information provided with the explination was incorred ( by the way, i am a customer service rep for cingular wireless so, i have had ...
(continues)
777MASTER-B

Mar 15, 2005, 5:10 PM
I USED TO WORK EXCHANGE BY MAIL WITH CING---WHAT A DOUBLE NIGHTMARE!!! ALL THOSE TDMA AT&T MIGRATION CUST NOW GET BAD COVERAGE. THEY SHOULD AT LEAST GIVE THEM A CHOICE FOR GAIT SERVICE!!! HOW CING LIFE OVER THERE>> 😎
DarkVampireGod

Mar 15, 2005, 5:28 PM
eh ::shrug:: calls are calls, i just get alot more miffed customers lol, actually sitting in not ready right now because i need a breather, but yeah, it has been slow lately, quite welcome from the holidays, and i can see how xbm would be horrible

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.