Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 6 replies

Mythbusting

took

Jun 19, 2008, 3:19 PM
So there are a ton of myths out there and i want to know if anyone can debunk them.

1. Battery charging. is it really harmful to partially charge a battery/ is it best to let it die before charging?

1b. Is it bad to talk on a phone while its charging (was told by a customer a coworker told him they cn blow up)

2. Talking on your phone while pumping gas. I was told a while ago that it could cause fumes to ignite to talk on a cell phone, just wondering if this is still the case.

Anyone know the answers?
Rich Brome

Jun 19, 2008, 4:49 PM
took said:
So there are a ton of myths out there and i want to know if anyone can debunk them.

1. Battery charging. is it really harmful to partially charge a battery/ is it best to let it die before charging?

My understanding is that it can help the overall life of a Lithium Ion battery (the most common kind these days) to do full charge/discharge cycles for the first 2-3 charges. After that, it should not matter.

Older NiMH batteries did have a "memory effect" that was greatly affected by full vs. partial charges. NiMH technology was replaced by LiIon many years ago. I can't think of a single phone produced in the past five years with a NiMH battery.

1b. Is it bad to talk on a phone wh
(continues)
kapwww

Jun 23, 2008, 5:44 PM
The only thing I would question is the charing and talking thing. I was told by a Motorola lab tech (in regards to the 325/K1m batteries swelling) that talking for more than a few minutes while charging can overheat the battery enough to cause a gas buildup or the heat can damage the protective circuitry. He told me that many/most of the cell phone batteries do not have vents for larger amounts of gas buildup. The circuitry isn't a big problem unless your charger circuitry is also not working, in which case, the charger and battery won't really know when to stop charging.

I could be completely wrong as I am only going off of what I was told, but I figure the source to be as credible as you can expect from Motorola.

www.batteryun...
(continues)
SprintTechMN

Jun 21, 2008, 10:36 AM
Mythbusters busted the second one. 🙂
rmtp22

Jul 5, 2008, 6:08 PM
Yes they did. There is more of a risk to get in and out of the car while fueling up.
eljeffe666

Jun 21, 2008, 11:34 AM
1 i charge my phone every day and usually have 70% or more battery life left
and my phone has the same life it has the day i bought it
so i would say no

2 is crap there would have to be a serious problem with the charger or phone for it to "explode" and for the time it actually happened i am willing to put money the person did something really stupid to the phone

3 the static electricity build up on ur clothes and in ur body is more likely to cause the fumes from the gas to ignite than the phone so talk away
ac4321

Jun 21, 2008, 11:52 AM
Everyone has pretty well covered them. For 1b- there's no danger to charging the phone while talking on it, however it can weaken the charging port on the phone or the end of the charger.

It's not the talking on it that is the cause but the constant motion and pull of the charger on the side walls of the phone's charging port.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.