Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 33 replies

How does Sprint not have the most coverage????

kjd2007

Feb 1, 2007, 3:09 PM
With no roaming charges, Sprint customers can call from anywhere in the country there is a tower, no matter what carrier is covering that area. Power vision phones excluded as they are digital roam only.

Verizon, Cingular, covers X area, guess what. We roam on those towers for free. I am suprised nobody ever bring this up when a thread is started about "best coverage".

Sprint also has THE largest EVDO coverage area.
ralph_on_me

Feb 1, 2007, 4:19 PM
I'm surprised you think CDMA roams off of GSM towers.
kjd2007

Feb 1, 2007, 4:26 PM
sorry didn't cover all bases.

sprint's coverage, everywhere but GSM, is still a lot more than having GSM coverage only, and getting roaming charges everywhere else.
FRANoKia

Feb 1, 2007, 9:54 PM
Seriously, Sprint??? the GSM thing is already covered so i don't have to correct that even though that fact alone cuts down your argument about coverage everywhere. the phones are garbage, the bills are always screwed up, and are you sure about roaming on VZW? b/c that doesn't sound right. nobody has roaming charges anymore. does Sprint work in Europe or Africa? Cingular and T-Mobile does. Sprint is for people who can't pass a VZW credit check and don't want to have all the benefits of a gorgeous GSM handset.
SPCSVZWJeff

Feb 2, 2007, 1:34 AM
I hate to burst your bubble but Sprint does have the largest voice coverage area in the USA. It is due to their many reciprocal roaming agreements with every carrier with a compatible network. This would include AMPS on Cingular where it still exists. As far as network is concerned, Sprint's network is exceptionally good. Awesome voice quality and blazing fast data. As far as product is concerned it is tough to beat Sprint. I have both a Cingular and a Sprint phone, My Sprint Sanyo beats my Cingular Motorola hands down in both voice quality and holding a call.
The overseas argument is a very good one for the 10% of Americans who will go overseas this year. For the other 90% + it is a moot point.

Sprint's new credit requirements are as t...
(continues)
heyhick

Feb 2, 2007, 11:32 AM
Warning on Sprint. Sprint may have a large voice coverage area, but too bad their coverage just seems to follow major highways. There is a reason it is known as the "spider web network". I used Sprint about 2 years ago in a capital city (where I lived the time) and could not get coverage blocks from the capital building. So, if you like to use your cell phone and might be in areas with a less dense population (say Minneapolis ha ha) don't use sprint!
CptWireless

Feb 2, 2007, 2:12 PM
Did you not read the previous posts? You can get off their "spiderweb" (which they built themselves) network and still use your phone, since they don't charge for roaming anymore.

I think these arguements of who has the largest coverage are pointless. Every carrier has roaming agreements with everyone else, and everyone has almost the exact same coverage. You people are a pain.
Whizzzel

Feb 3, 2007, 12:50 PM
I work for Sprint customer service and can honestly say the biggest complaint I hear from customers is that the coverage sucks. Yes we do have alot of roaming but who here can honestly say that roaming is just as good as being on the network. Granted alot of people don't know anything about phone maintenance and 50% of the time their problem is solved with a PRL update but the country isn't completely flat with a fully up-to-date tower every 5 miles. The roaming carriers aren't garunteed to constantly keep tabs on their towers at all times to make sure everything is working to its maximum potential at all times while in sync with sprint. Nor can sprint have someone posted at every single tower in the country at all times to immediatly be abl...
(continues)
Technologic

Feb 3, 2007, 1:08 PM
o.=.0? The first thing that came to my head was an image of those replicator things from Star Gate. They need to have some of those critters at each tower, and some how reprogram them to update the towers instantaniously, and send out a message or a voice mail telling people, "Yo, towers are update, get your **** fixed by going to a store homes."
Whizzzel

Feb 3, 2007, 1:10 PM
I thought that kind of language was specially reserved for Nextel's Boost mobile campaign.... ๐Ÿ˜
Deathorglory

Feb 3, 2007, 1:24 PM
๐Ÿคฃ How true. Oh the conversations I've heard over those phones that I really wish I could somehow purge from my memory.
Whizzzel

Feb 3, 2007, 1:28 PM
You don't ever find yourself missing those days when you have to spend 4 hours on the phone trying to get a customer to understand why you cant walkie talkie a sprint phone from a nextel phone?
Technologic

Feb 3, 2007, 2:06 PM
Oh God!! X.=.x!! *Dies* .... *Twitch twitch*
Deathorglory

Feb 3, 2007, 2:31 PM
I work in retention, so usually those calls get filtered out before they get to me. However, we get so many other misrouted calls, I want to bang my head on my desk until the concussions knock me out. ๐Ÿ˜ก
Whizzzel

Feb 3, 2007, 2:40 PM
Yeah me too..... My cubicle mate had some guy want to cancel cause he wasn't able to walkie talkie a nextel phone with his sprint readylink ๐Ÿ˜›
zombiedance

Feb 8, 2007, 2:56 PM
And I also work for Sprint. And a PRL Update fixes nothing... Why would you think it does? ๐Ÿคจ
txsolitaire

Feb 9, 2007, 12:39 AM
Strange. I work for Sprint CS, and I RARELY get coverage complaints. 99.99% is people who can't figure out their bill.
heyhick

Feb 3, 2007, 1:01 PM
Anyone who thinks that the coverage between carriers is exactly the same in my opinion is just plain ignorant. Yes, carriers have roaming agreements if on the same type of technology but not everywhere. But, hey if you want to pretend that, it does not matter to me. Say hello to your co-workers at Sprint.
bjorn

Feb 5, 2007, 11:55 AM
Are you serious, Minneapolis. You might have problems if you are in the middle of a basement with very thick concrete walls and no windows. Take it from someone who has lived in Minnesota his whole life.
heyhick

Feb 5, 2007, 6:57 PM
Yup, I am saying Minneapolis. Glad you had a better experience then most though.
rickyhansen5

Feb 13, 2007, 1:37 PM
I work at an indirect store which is the number one seller of Verizon Wireless in the western United States. At the end of the year we went through all of our activations and realized that 50% of our new customers that are switching over are switching from Sprint. That right there tells you who dominates the CDMA network. Happiness is in the numbers. Also, Verizon just set an industry record for the lowest churn rate in wireless history during the 4th quarter. That speaks for itself.

My point...maybe it does not matter who has the "largest coverage". It all comes down to who is the happiest with what they have. Verizon wins hands down.
Crapbag

Feb 2, 2007, 11:02 PM
SPCSVZWJeff said:
This would include AMPS on Cingular where it still exists.

So are you suggesting with Cingular shutting down this portion of their network that Sprint's offered service area is getting Smaller with time?
kjd2007

Feb 2, 2007, 2:06 PM
cdma already has a larger footprint than gsm does(in the US, ask verizon ๐Ÿ˜‰ ). no need to roam on gsm if cdma is there in the first place.

the only arguemant was that verizon claims to have the largest network, but they dont when sprint users can roam on their towers for free, plus have sprint coverage where verizon may not.
Crapbag

Feb 2, 2007, 11:01 PM
I think ralph was trying to point out that you claimed Sprint roamed of Cingular when in fact Cingular is GSM thus Sprint could not roam off Cingular. If you are telling people Sprint roams off of Cingular/at&t towers then you are LYING to people.
Technologic

Feb 3, 2007, 2:08 PM
Crapbag said:
If you are telling people Sprint roams off of Cingular/at&t towers then you are LYING to people.

... You say that as if you've never done anything like that before.
Crapbag

Feb 8, 2007, 1:07 PM
๐Ÿ˜ I'm reformed. ๐Ÿ˜‰
raycarroll70

Feb 2, 2007, 8:29 PM
Especially on the 1xEV-DO Rev A side. ๐Ÿ˜‰
T-MoTucson

Feb 2, 2007, 9:03 PM
Even if Sprint could roam on Verizon towers, they don't let them roam on everyone of them so it's not like you get theirs plus Sprint's. The coverage areas are pretty much the same--everybody has it's out-of-coverage areas, they may just not be the same ones.

How do we know Sprint sucks? THE CUSTOMERS TELL US! They are leaving Sprint, as illustrated by the layoffs.

Give it 10 years. The major players will be (in no particular order):
1. Verizon
2. T-Mobile
3. Cingular/AT&T (only because AT&T took it back over)

I don't care what all you suckas say...I'm right!
deliriumfrenzy

Feb 2, 2007, 9:22 PM
Yeah, probably is.
Crapbag

Feb 2, 2007, 10:59 PM
T-MoTucson said:
(only because AT&T took it back over)
blockquote>
๐Ÿ™„ You should look into this statement a little further.
Technologic

Feb 3, 2007, 2:14 PM
Agreed. Before you start spewing drivl, make sure you have all the facts.

I know for a fact that over one hundred people a day renew their contract with Sprint/Nextel because they enjoy the perks of the price plans as well as the coverage and durability of the phones.

I also know that a quarter of those people have had their number ported over to sprint.

... Oh cheezums! X.=.x!! I'm defending sprint! *Dies*
dca

Feb 5, 2007, 10:49 AM
Not entirely true. The three you mentioned and the one supposedly doomed. Sprint Nextel accidetanlly spun-off the landline service as Embarq and purchased Nexel... Okay, big problems or mistakes, however they have secured a JV w/ all the major cable carriers in the US... That's the good news. The bad news, not that I'm a T-Mo basher (actually couldn't care less) but they are the one that are not controlled by a carrier w/ ties to the US... In other words ATT is now THE conglomerate. Once again, history repeating itself. Aligned as one - wireless, land-line, internet, etc, etc. VZW is joint-owned by Voda (Europe) and Verizon (US), again major ties and backing by US firm. Now on to T-Mo which is wholly owned by DT (Duetsche Telecom, ...
(continues)
txsolitaire

Feb 9, 2007, 12:51 AM
1/10

1 point for effort

-9 for not knowing wtf you are talking about.
travi6047

Feb 20, 2007, 8:32 PM
They don't,

I have researched this and the reason that they say that is because Sprint has cheep roaming agreements with all the Major Wireless company's. So the reason that the roaming is free is because they can make enough money from their revinues that they can afford to let all sprint customers roam other networks for free. So yes Sprint customers can talk on any major cell phone company's towers. BUT THEY DON'Y OWN ALL OF THAT AREA SO THEY DON'T HAVE THE LARGEST NETWORK. Some carriers, like Alltel Wireless have it so you can do the same thing, you just have to pay a little extra. So you can ALSO talk on any major and even minor cell phone company's tower's!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.