Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 11 replies

Verizon to buy Metro PCS

Wireless Consultant

Jan 18, 2007, 4:21 PM
I heard a rummor that Verizon will buy Metro PCS somtime in March of this year. I have no way of conferming this rumor but if anyone else has any details please share the info.
dave73

Jan 23, 2007, 2:32 AM
Wireless Consultant said:
I heard a rummor that Verizon will buy Metro PCS somtime in March of this year. I have no way of conferming this rumor but if anyone else has any details please share the info.

If that were to happen, they wouldn't get many customers out of the deal, and the spectrum Metro PCS has only covers just the immediate metropolitan area. I don't know if some of their PCS licenses cover nearby rural areas, but with Metro PCS having just PCS licenses, Why wouldn't Verizon try to acquire them? For the Detroit market, that would add
additional capacity for their network, including EVDO service. For Florida, providing Verizon isn't at their limit, that too would additional capacity to the...
(continues)
Jon_Doh

Jan 24, 2007, 10:22 AM
Verizon buying Sprint or Altel makes more sense.
dca

Jan 24, 2007, 11:13 AM
The DOJ/FCC wouldn't go for that...
Protege

Jan 24, 2007, 11:44 AM
Actually, some insiders are speculating that Verizon and Sprint are looking into buying Alltel... and I've also heard Verizon might be buying US CELL....
krickt

Jan 24, 2007, 1:45 PM
The USCC rumor has been going around for almost a decade. As has the Alltel one, but at least the Alltel one has Wall Street Journal articles to back it up.
Protege

Jan 24, 2007, 3:20 PM
Actually the USC rumor might've come from the horses's mouth... ๐Ÿ˜›
krickt

Jan 24, 2007, 3:23 PM
Well, they either need to hustle up and do it or put a muzzle on the horse. It's been coming from everyone and their dog for the last 8 years that I know of, and nothing has ever been done. Plus, me reading from you about a horses mouth doesn't mean anything. You could be anybody spouting pure crap for fun for all I know.
Protege

Jan 24, 2007, 4:11 PM
๐Ÿคจ

I have no vested interest in such a rumor being true... I'm simply sharing what I've heard and read...
MetroTet

Jan 25, 2007, 10:25 AM
that would suck, i mean in all honesty, Metro is a good provider, at least for my area, i would hate to have to deal with another faceless monster of a cellular company.... again... it would force me to go to t-mobile...
Yean

Jan 24, 2007, 2:26 PM
VZW buying out Sprint or Alltel wouldn't make that much sense. If so it wouldn't be more spectrum, it would strictly be buying their customer base. It would be cheaper for VZW to put towers in the areas they lack. Leap may be the company that may buy Alltel.
dave73

Jan 26, 2007, 10:19 PM
Yean said:
VZW buying out Sprint or Alltel wouldn't make that much sense. If so it wouldn't be more spectrum, it would strictly be buying their customer base. It would be cheaper for VZW to put towers in the areas they lack. Leap may be the company that may buy Alltel.

Leap Wireless only wants to serve major cities and the communities near that major city. They're not interested in serving rural America. But for licenses they acquired in the AWS auction, if they keep any of the licenses that serve rural markets (including a few regional licenses, they'll have affiliates run those areas rather than serving those areas themselves.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.