Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

Sprint Nextel Push to talk

Firefighterep911

Aug 28, 2004, 12:28 AM
So far I have heard about the same answer for both sides of the story, that Sprint was planning on buying something from Nextel, I believe it was a freq. number. Does anybody know if this is true or not? If so, its the smartest and best investment sprint will ever do
MarkF

Aug 28, 2004, 5:15 AM
Firefighterep911 said:
So far I have heard about the same answer for both sides of the story, that Sprint was planning on buying something from Nextel, I believe it was a freq. number. Does anybody know if this is true or not? If so, its the smartest and best investment sprint will ever do

NEXTEL is on 800 MHz and Sprint is on 1.9 GHz. They can't swap frequencies without designing their phones. I doubt this is the case

Now NEXTEL was awarded 1.9 GHz spectrum last month by the FCC but it will be a very long time until they will be able to utilize it, but Sprint had nothing to do with this nor will reap any benefits.
nextel18

Sep 6, 2004, 4:29 AM
it wont be along time to utlize the 1.9ghz if nextel agrees with the fcc order becuase nextel can start to reband and retune in the 1.9ghz RIGHT AWAY.. and then after they retune and etc.. in the 1.9ghz they can use it right after.
Rich Brome

Sep 7, 2004, 4:27 PM
Firefighterep911 said:
So far I have heard about the same answer for both sides of the story, that Sprint was planning on buying something from Nextel, I believe it was a freq. number.

If you're talking about a frequency number, you're talking about spectrum. The only spectrum Nextel has that Sprint might be interested in is certain MMDS spectrum.

Nextel and Sprint both own a lot of spectrum in the 2.1 - 2.7 GHz bands. It's spectrum either or both companies could use for some kind of 3G or 4G network.

I don't think either company has a national footprint with it yet, though, and I don't expect it to remain unused for too many more years. So yes, some kind of spectrum swap or sale seems inevitable.

(continues)
nextel18

Sep 10, 2004, 12:56 PM
they can use their 800 and 1.9ghz spectrum (if the fcc issue is oked and withstanding of any legal situations) as a backbone..

yes you are correct that they have plenty of mmds spectrum and itfs spectrum.. nextel has approx 2/3 of the united states of the spectrum while sprint has the other 1/3 of the united states.

also fcc is letting leasing of mmds and itfs spectrum from educational institutions which would help nextel further their expansion for flarion, but nextel does have a very nice mmds portfolio that covers high dense areas.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.