Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 42 replies

CDMA vs GSM

iski2fast

Mar 22, 2006, 2:53 PM
Whats better? A unanswerable question. GSM works better no CDMA works better. Simplest way to answer this question....Live in rural area(which most of this country is) get CDMA better Reception. Live in Metro area get GSM Clearer calls....The US wont go all GSM because its too expensive to build towers in the rural areas cause not enough money would be generated by the few people that live there. CDMA covers the rural areas better because of better signal stregnth....Which is better? depends on where you live.... Both GSM and CDMA has its up and downs....Which company has the largest digital network in the country? ALLTEL Which company is the only national wireless carrier that is debt free? ALLTEL Which company is the only company to of...
(continues)
Vox Dei

Mar 22, 2006, 3:13 PM
Those Cingular customers that are still on the AT&T wireless side get automatic dropped call credits.
craptacularwireless

Mar 22, 2006, 3:27 PM
Um, Alltel isn't a national carrier. They are a regional carrier. There aren't any Alltel stores here in Cali.
iski2fast

Mar 22, 2006, 3:51 PM
Alltel purchased western wireless (cell one) which has 18 western states....added to the 9 other states alltel has now.....Its a national carrier. So you will see alltel in Cali all in due time.
JestaMcMerv

Apr 20, 2006, 10:09 AM
because there are only 33 states in the united states... thus making it a national carrier
kmcfarlin

Apr 20, 2006, 2:06 PM
Alltel is a regional carrier. I live in MO, and there is no alltel here. Sorry.
automatic

May 22, 2006, 4:18 AM
JestaMcMerv said:
because there are only 33 states in the united states... thus making it a national carrier

burn!
switchy85

Jun 20, 2006, 10:10 PM
There are no "national" carriers in Alaska (which is a state, whether you're an idiot who doesn't know it or not), so therefore, since AK is part of the 50 states, no carrier is a "national carrier".
jjgreene

Mar 14, 2007, 7:33 PM
ummmmm...cingular has coverage in all 50 states....yes even Alaska
travi6047

Mar 16, 2007, 3:50 PM
Look at their prepaid map. That shows their network without most of the roaming aggrements. And go to GSMworld.com and look at the coverage map for alltel (Alltel phones are only compatible on CDMA but after Alltel bought Western Wireless they got a GSM network to) That is a roaming aggrement between Alltel and cingular and that is a big porton of their network. And a rep at one of the stores told me that their network in Alaska is from private carriers that they work with.
s0lrac

Mar 22, 2006, 4:46 PM
Alltel does cover more of the country than any other carrier... that part IS TRUE ... i can send you the link to the article where it said so 3 weeks ago...
kmcfarlin

Apr 20, 2006, 2:08 PM
I don't care who told you that it covers more of the country. It's isn't a national carrier. I find it humorous you people are arguing this. Even here on phonescoop it lists Alltel as regional.
s0lrac

Apr 20, 2006, 5:18 PM
It is regional... and "nobody" told me this... this was actually reported on PHONESCOOP... and also can be found on Alltel's website... even though Alltel IS a regional carrier .. it still covers more of the country... so I really dont know what you're arguing... go back to your hole now!!!
s0lrac

Mar 22, 2006, 4:45 PM
Actually Sprint also credits for DROPPED calls...
Rich Brome

Mar 24, 2006, 11:51 AM
...but is it automatic, or do you have to call and ask each time?
SprintBGN

Mar 24, 2006, 4:17 PM
press *2
AshDizzle

Apr 16, 2006, 10:30 PM
Well that's not very automatic then.
uscingulair

Apr 17, 2006, 7:05 PM
well you could just get with the carrier with the least dropped calls
kmcfarlin

Apr 20, 2006, 2:54 PM
Well you could, but that would require finding out which one ACTUALLY has the least dropped calls. Since the stupid ads don't know what they are talking about.
sooperdooper

Apr 20, 2006, 11:52 PM
Are you are talking about cingular's new ad about having the fewest dropped calls? I read a thread on here about how Cingular is actually affiliated with the company that produced these results. I don't remember if it was a partner company, or owned by them.... either way I find it hard to believe those were unbiased "results".
Anxiovert

Jun 25, 2006, 3:43 PM
sooperdooper said:
Are you are talking about cingular's new ad about having the fewest dropped calls? I read a thread on here about how Cingular is actually affiliated with the company that produced these results. I don't remember if it was a partner company, or owned by them.... either way I find it hard to believe those were unbiased "results".

Exactly, you're quoting and passing along senseless information that someone else barely put together.
You can't even quote the person who actually said this properly. Hence you should keep your mouth closed.
WirelessVet

Mar 12, 2007, 2:51 PM
I find these ads funny seeing that GSM inheritly will have more dropped calls due to hard handoffs on thier network.
Jennyboo

May 18, 2006, 5:47 PM
Wow you have to call *2 and say "credit for dropped call" and then it gets put on....almost too hard for me. lol
WirelessVet

Mar 12, 2007, 2:49 PM
...and wait 45 min to be transfered 3 times.
crxtreme89

Mar 25, 2006, 1:08 PM
iski2fast said:
Whats better? A unanswerable question. GSM works better no CDMA works better. Simplest way to answer this question....Live in rural area(which most of this country is) get CDMA better Reception. Live in Metro area get GSM Clearer calls....The US wont go all GSM because its too expensive to build towers in the rural areas cause not enough money would be generated by the few people that live there. CDMA covers the rural areas better because of better signal stregnth....Which is better? depends on where you live.... Both GSM and CDMA has its up and downs....Which company has the largest digital network in the country? ALLTEL Which company is the only national wireless carrier that is debt free? ALLTEL Whi
(continues)
TheBard

Apr 16, 2006, 1:05 PM
crxtreme89 said:
I won't disagree with you that Alltel is a decent company. However, you are comparing Apples to Oranges here. Here's your Alltel coverage map:

http://www.alltel.com/corporate/media/downloads/usma ... »

Interesting. That map is significantly different from this one, even if the roaming area is ignored:
http://www.alltel.com/personal/wireless/images/u_pre ... »
AshDizzle

Apr 16, 2006, 10:31 PM
Look at Kansas. You can't tell me that entire state is covered. Take that map with a grain of salt.
crxtreme89

Apr 19, 2006, 3:28 PM
The whole state of Kansas is not covered. Trust me, I do take these maps with a grain of salt.
sooperdooper

Apr 20, 2006, 11:55 PM
Isn't most of there Kansas market going to U.S. Cellular in a trade for U.S. Cellular's Idaho markets anyway? Unsure, could be wrong.
rickyhansen5

May 23, 2006, 3:40 PM
I just have to say that it really does not matter what the coverage map reads if there really is not coverage there in the first place. I am from Northern Michigan which is all blue if you look at the map, but in reality the coverage sucks. Yeah, you can complete a few calls here and there, but you better be prepared to have quite a few dropped calls along the way. I cannot even get reception in the Alltel store here which is right on main street of the biggest city in Northern Michigan. That is sad. Verizon works great, T-mobile sucks, and Cellular One is actually okay. I have tried them all and the only one that seems to be consistent with the coverage map is Verizon. I am sure that their are gliches with their coverage map as well,...
(continues)
Truth_Hurts

Apr 24, 2006, 1:47 PM
You are wrong about Alltell being the only carrier that is not in debt. U.S Cellular is not in debt. From what i have heard U.S. Cellular is actually the only company not in the red. Also Alltell sold the mogority of thier kansas and nebraska markets to U.S. Cellular Aproximately 7 months ago but U.S. Cellular is working to test and improve the market before it is launched. Alltell is not advancing as much as u think.
nextel18

Apr 27, 2006, 9:22 PM
they dont have debt? lol are you sure?

go here http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/iro l/74/74159/4Q05_results/4q05highlights.pdf

alltel has Current maturities of long-term debt $ 205,117 (in thousands) and Long-term debt 5,782,890 (in thousands).

i dont know one carrier that doesnt have debt.
MAX13

Apr 27, 2006, 9:14 PM
I TRAVEL EXTENSIVELY BETWEEN PALM BEACH FLORIDA AND CAPE COD MASS AND CITIES IN BETWEEN. I HAVE CINGULAR NOW AND IT STINKS! CAN CDMA BE A BETTER MOUSETRAP? THE USUAL CONSISTENT INCONSISTENTCY OF GSM IS DRIVING ME NUTS! EVERY SYSTEM CARRIER HAS ITS PROBLEMS BUT THIS GOES BEYOND THE TOLERANT LEVEL. ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE GREATLY DEPRECIATED..... IS IT EQUIPMENT AND/OR SYSTEM OR??????WHEN YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE SITTING THERE WITH NO SERVICE AND EVERYONE ELSE IS TALKING ON THEIR PHONES IS DISGUSTING!
MAX
crxtreme89

May 22, 2006, 1:25 PM
That's what you get for getting the LG C1300. 🙄
sowhatsowhat10

May 22, 2006, 7:17 PM
this entire thread from flim to flam is stupid. i cant believe the elementary know it all but know nothing arguments.

and alltel isnt the only carrier to issue dropped call credits.
TeoMan77

Jun 2, 2006, 2:11 PM
I would just like to say that despite Alltel stating that they have the largest network coverage blah blah blah... They do use the same network towers that Sprint and VZW use. And I do know that first hand hearing a Sprint Rep stating that they have move coverage than VZW because they use VZW towers in conjunction with thiers. 😲
Data_King

Jun 21, 2006, 11:27 PM
I always find it amusing that companies claim that they have good coverage because they use the Verizon network. Think about what they are telling you. They do not have the largest network, Verizon does. They also forget to tell you that they can only use the Verizon network when you can not connect to a Sprint/Alltel tower. So that means that where they have towers you are stuck using the tier 2 provider network. There is also network priority where Verizon customers have priority on their own network so during peak times you are less likely to connect on another carriers network.

I am amazed that the other companies actually say that they are a good choice because they use Verizon to be good. They can not stand on their own netwo...
(continues)
travi6047

Feb 20, 2007, 8:21 PM
CDMA in the United States for ONE reason. CDMA is offered by much more carriers than GSM. The only major network in the United States is Cingular (the new at&t). And they don't even come close to the top CDMA company, Alltel Wireless. If you are wanting to get a cell phone and live in the United States, you want CDMA, probabally Alltel. The reason is that Alltel has a HUGE network (mostly because of the merger with Western Wireless). And where ever they don't have coverage you can roam off of ANY OTHER major CDMA provider in the United States. Such as, Sprint Nextel, Verizon Wireless, Cingular's old TDMA network (that is kind of like CDMA), and many more. CDMA is cheeper to build because you need less towers because the CDMA cell phone tower...
(continues)
Tower Tester

Mar 12, 2007, 9:48 PM
What?????? The only major network in the US is Cingular? Where did you get that? Alltel is far from the top CDMA company, although they are good. Alltel had to divest part of that MWW network, so it isn't as huge as you may think. Cingular's old TDMA network is usable for Alltel CDMA customers? What?!?!?!?!? CDMA is NOTHING like TDMA. They are not compatible technologies, and a customer of one can not roam off the other. You should do some research before you post drivel like this.
travi6047

Mar 14, 2007, 3:15 PM
I'm sorry. I looked things up though and the only thing i said wrong was that thing about TDMA being like CDMA. And the ONLY reason you are saying that Cingular is the biggest is because #1 You probabally have Cingular #2 You are probabally looking at their Post paid maps not prepaid (prepaid usually has smaller networks because that is the company's ACTUAL Native Network)

Oh and F.Y.I. I have Verizon Wireless so....
jjgreene

Mar 14, 2007, 7:41 PM
this is true, but at the same time, cingular has more cell sites than anyother carrier......and they said that Cingular is the only major GSM carrier in the U.S.....T-mobile is still pretty small compared to Cingy....

Have you seen cingular's prepaid maps lately?
they're getting pretty da$% big.....

Oh yeah and the whole thing about Alltel being the only company not in debt.....kinda makes you wonder why they are looking to sell

oooo i have this cash cow, but i don't need it anymore.
travi6047

Mar 16, 2007, 3:43 PM
Yes, and cingular actually has the most towers it is just that GSM signals don't travel as far as CDMA so they need more towers to cover the same area. And just out of curosity where did you find that thing about Alltel Wanting to sell?
jjgreene

Mar 17, 2007, 1:59 AM
This was posted March 5th on the phonescoop home page... this is the link to the actual story...

other places

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.