Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 43 replies

nextel or verizon????

flipx2

Jul 1, 2005, 1:25 PM
my contract is almost up for verizon n i was wonderin if nextel is any better or jus stick wit verizon?
everman

Jul 1, 2005, 4:16 PM
if you decide to switch carriers, dont consider sprint or nextel, at least until their merger is all the way complete.
stevelvl

Jul 1, 2005, 7:40 PM
everman said:
if you decide to switch carriers, dont consider sprint or nextel, at least until their merger is all the way complete.

why?

something tells me everman works for vzw

flipx2. your question was very veage what do you mean by better? what are you looking for? if you are looking for ptt they yes nextel is undoubtubly the best. with nextel the network its self is probubly just as good as any one elses. the iden that nextel uses however is a tdma derivative just like gsm so as a result you do not get as smooth of haldoffs of as clear of a voice call. if you want the best voice call quallity you can possably get go with cdma. (verizon, altell, us wireless ect)

also if you want high speed dat...
(continues)
everman

Jul 4, 2005, 10:24 AM
The only reason you enjoy using sprint is because you are on the highway.
I would enjoy using sprint too if I could get reception.

Seriously though, stay away from companies that are merging, because i WORK FOR CINGULAR and there are a ton of issues with migrations with att and cingular, not to mention the customer care issues.
If you have att you cannot use your phone with cingular(unless it is unlocked) you cannot add a line to your plan, and you cannot upgrade your phone. And now, you cant even migrate for free unless your contract is up with att.

long story not so long

if you have to choose between nextel and verizon, dont choose nextel. Next year at this time, youll have problems.
Also sprint and nextel have v...
(continues)
stevelvl

Jul 4, 2005, 12:43 PM
everman said:
The only reason you enjoy using sprint is because you are on the highway.
I would enjoy using sprint too if I could get reception.

Seriously though, stay away from companies that are merging, because i WORK FOR CINGULAR and there are a ton of issues with migrations with att and cingular, not to mention the customer care issues.
If you have att you cannot use your phone with cingular(unless it is unlocked) you cannot add a line to your plan, and you cannot upgrade your phone. And now, you cant even migrate for free unless your contract is up with att.

long story not so long

if you have to choose between nextel and verizon, dont choose nextel. Next year at this time, youll have problem
(continues)
everman

Jul 5, 2005, 11:04 AM
Riiiiight.

I will believe that when I see it.

I am sure that cingular and att thought and do still think that their merger would be relatively hassle free.

Besides, you still wont be able to use your phone, so who care if your merger is slow and meticulous.
nextel18

Jul 5, 2005, 11:33 AM
actually there is a big difference between cingular/att wireless and sprint/nextel merger.

the main differnce is that nextel/sprint has the best managment in the industry and has THE BEST cto in the land. (in barry west)

barry, will not make the same mistakes that cingular/att wireless are going through with their integration. i mean come on.. they both are on tdma and gsm and STILL having problems going to gsm. its pathetic!!!

nextel will have their network running until ATLEASTTTTT 2010 so it doesnt matter. sprint/nextel will bennfit from the combined 80mhz of spectrum, which is the leading in the industry with spectrum and with 45k towers and growing, which will also be a leader.

thus; this merger will be a lot different t...
(continues)
dancingmelissa

Aug 8, 2005, 6:12 PM
I'm not sure if what state you live in matters. But I had Pac Bell baught by cingular and at that time cingular REALLY sucked. Then I switched to ATT again baught by cingular. I was a little annoyed. So all my friends were on verizon so I switched. I thought I wasn't happy with cingular following me. So Now how's verizon? It's horrible. I live in the san diego area and half the time I don't get a signal and half the time my calls are dropped. The verizon customer service suggested that I get a triband phone 2 months after I signed up so no deals on that. Anyway, my point is that I would switch back to cingular if I could afford the fee. Never had a dropped call, always had great reception and the phones were cheaper too!
phonedoc2

Aug 8, 2005, 8:25 PM
dancingmelissa said:
I'm not sure if what state you live in matters. But I had Pac Bell baught by cingular and at that time cingular REALLY sucked. Then I switched to ATT again baught by cingular. I was a little annoyed. So all my friends were on verizon so I switched. I thought I wasn't happy with cingular following me. So Now how's verizon? It's horrible. I live in the san diego area and half the time I don't get a signal and half the time my calls are dropped. The verizon customer service suggested that I get a triband phone 2 months after I signed up so no deals on that. Anyway, my point is that I would switch back to cingular if I could afford the fee. Never had a dropped call, always had great reception and the phon
(continues)
dancingmelissa

Aug 8, 2005, 10:07 PM
I'm in carlsbad. I do get a signal most places but it wavers. I'll be sitting in my house and I can watch my bars go from 4 to no signal when i'm just sitting there! So when I'm talking on the phone, boom the call is dropped. I wish I knew some one with cingular so that I could compare down here. Also I love nokia phones. I think they are the best made and get the best signals and Verizon doesn't have any current nokia's. I have to make do with crappy samsungs and lgs.
boricorazon

Sep 25, 2005, 5:39 PM
I don't mean to but in hear, but "Excellent management" isn't that an oxymoron? I don't care about how great there management is or how they'll do a better job then att/cingular (though I will give you this, I don't know what cingular was thinking buying out att, there two smaller horrible companies making a larger horrible company). What I care about is how good my service will be and that my contract isn't breached because two companies decided to "conceive" another one that I never signed a contract with.
stevelvl

Jul 5, 2005, 11:57 PM
everman said:
Riiiiight.

I will believe that when I see it.

I am sure that cingular and att thought and do still think that their merger would be relatively hassle free.

Besides, you still wont be able to use your phone, so who care if your merger is slow and meticulous.

when at&t sold out to cingular all they sold was there customers and there network. at&t as a brand did not get sold. if fact for a long while at&t was looking to relaunch a wirless company.but that is not the point the point is when cingular aquired at&t they just ubsorbed the at&t company into cingular they tried to get everyone to switch over but they could not force them too. cing gave them a window and al...
(continues)
mark0000

Jul 9, 2005, 4:42 PM
*sigh* Aside from the factual errors, which I don't really care about because I really don't like Sprint or Nextel, one problem with most of the posts above:

Use the spell check. It is there for a reason. Spelling the same word wrong multiple times really kills your argument.
evilklown

Jul 27, 2005, 9:32 PM
excellent argument
bludrac

Aug 7, 2005, 12:28 PM
🙂 it'll be tough going to combinde tdma and cdma technology but i think sprint nextel will bring the industry to its knees and set a higher standard for service.
BlueHFX

Aug 7, 2005, 4:42 PM
bludrac said:
🙂 it'll be tough going to combinde tdma and cdma technology but i think sprint nextel will bring the industry to its knees and set a higher standard for service.

How do you figure this?
southwestcomm

Aug 7, 2005, 10:12 PM
Sigh....I wish people would read more.

There are no plans to merge the iDEN and CDMA networks. iDEN will stay iDEN for the PTT centric customers - construction, service, public safety, etc and CDMA will stay CDMA.
Eventually, once EVDO Rev A is released, qChat will allow interoperable PTT between the 2 networks. DOn't expect much more before then.
stevelvl

Aug 7, 2005, 11:21 PM
southwestcomm said:
Sigh....I wish people would read more.

There are no plans to merge the iDEN and CDMA networks. iDEN will stay iDEN for the PTT centric customers - construction, service, public safety, etc and CDMA will stay CDMA.
Eventually, once EVDO Rev A is released, qChat will allow interoperable PTT between the 2 networks. DOn't expect much more before then.

there is plans for sw bridges that will allow for iden to ptt with cdma moto is working on one as well as qualicom
southwestcomm

Aug 8, 2005, 12:36 AM
Yes, but it will not be released for the CDMA 1X.
stevelvl

Aug 8, 2005, 5:28 PM
southwestcomm said:
Yes, but it will not be released for the CDMA 1X.

it is a sw bridge it will work on the 1x 2 bsically what it does it it takes the signal and transslates into the other. it will work with what ever they prgram it for. will it be slower? of course but it will work with 1x ev-do as well as iden and kodiac if they wish as well
nikg

Jul 17, 2005, 6:53 PM
You cannot possibly know how the Sprint Nextel merger will go, steve lvl. There is also no sign of a cdma/iden handset in the future. Also, if you examine the coverage maps, Sprint's cdma network has less coverage than nextel's in most places, meaning there will be little to no advantage for nextel users to roam cdma. The fact is, the networks are so different that it will be more complicated than the CingularAtt merger. All nextel users will eventually use the Sprint CDMA network and ready link service. And as far as customer service goes, Sprint is dead last among Tier 1 carriers and has been for years, and from my experience in wireless sales Sprint's cutomer care dept. has not been improving. It does, however sound like you work for Spri...
(continues)
stevelvl

Jul 17, 2005, 7:03 PM
nikg said:
You cannot possibly know how the Sprint Nextel merger will go, steve lvl. There is also no sign of a cdma/iden handset in the future. Also, if you examine the coverage maps, Sprint's cdma network has less coverage than nextel's in most places, meaning there will be little to no advantage for nextel users to roam cdma. The fact is, the networks are so different that it will be more complicated than the CingularAtt merger. All nextel users will eventually use the Sprint CDMA network and ready link service. And as far as customer service goes, Sprint is dead last among Tier 1 carriers and has been for years, and from my experience in wireless sales Sprint's cutomer care dept. has not been improving. It does, howev
(continues)
nextel18

Jul 20, 2005, 10:38 AM
"There is also no sign of a cdma/iden handset in the future"

Wrong. Loll they have stated that they will have a dual mode handset. That shows how much you know. Loll

"Sprint's cdma network has less coverage than Nextel’s in most places, meaning there will be little to no advantage for Nextel users to roam cdma."

Wrong. They will improve their covered pops to about 260-290 million people with their 45k+ towers and 80MHz of spectrum holdings. In addition to co-locations.

"The fact is, the networks are so different that it will be more complicated than the CingularAtt merger"

Wrong. They have contig spectrum in the 800 MHz band, which can be easily transformed into cdma. In fact, half of Nextel’s towers and spectrum will be on t...
(continues)
mrdeth

Sep 22, 2005, 10:55 PM
you in no way can speak of rationality 🙄
insidescooppp

Jul 8, 2005, 3:55 PM
Wow... if this isn't bias I don't know what is... Sprint's coverage area is just as large as Verizons and Cingulars, and our roaming agreements are just as good... and with the Nextel merger... there's going to be allowed migration and integration of the 2 companies... People can cancel Nextel to goto Sprint... you can pay your Sprint and Nextel bill with one check, and the money will get sepereated appropriately... Because you're company is ran by a bunch of morons, and can't handle a merger, don't start talking about others...
nikg

Jul 17, 2005, 7:02 PM
True, Sprint's coverage area is as big if not bigger than verizon's. However, Sprint pays rent to many different companies (including verizon) to get that coverage. Verizon owns more network than Sprint, and you will see that if you compare coverage maps. Pay attention to the dark green areas of coverage on the Sprint map, this is what they actually own. And I certainly hope you don't listen to the hype that your company spits at you about how smoothly the merger will go, because they are just trying to soothe your concerns and keep you confident in what you sell/support. The SprintNextel merger is already going through more litigation than CingularATT. Consider the fact that Sprint is trying to screw their affiliates out of market share by ...
(continues)
nextel18

Jul 20, 2005, 10:42 AM
"The SprintNextel merger is already going through more litigation than CingularATT."

Therefore, that is life and that’s business. They are just affiliates suing which means nothing. They will just buy them out and that is it. No harm done.

" is this a smooth merger so far? No, not by a long shot. "

actually, it is.. fcc is expected to either close by the end of July or beg of august and the doj is expected to close in aug. I would say that is smooth.

"Sprint is acquiring more debt than they anticipated because they are being forced into buying out their affiliates, this debt will most definitely be passed on to the consumer."

wrong. they won’t be getting more debt as a result to the buying of affiliates. why? well because th...
(continues)
patchx

Sep 1, 2005, 9:41 AM
Merger? what merger? sprint purchased nextel, theres no merger of equals here. point one: the company name is sprint nextel. point two: the ceo of sprint is now the ceo of sprint nextel. point three: when you call a nextel customer, instead of the "please wait while the nextel subscriber you are trying to reach is located" you get "please wait while the sprint subscriber you are trying to reach is located" and there are others but i have work to do.
nextel18

Sep 1, 2005, 9:47 AM
it is a merger of equals, but on paper to do a proper tax-free spinoff of the local division it is 51 to 49 percent ownership.

the cto, cfo, and ceo are the cto, cfo, and chariman of the new company. (i dont see your point)

again, its a merger of equals.
patchx

Sep 22, 2005, 10:20 AM
I know this reply is late but, i just saw a comercial a couple of days ago for Sprint, of course it was about nextel phones but the name nextel never came up in the comercial, which, by the way ended: Sprint, now offering direct connect. WTH i really dont think this is a merger of equals, but either way i wont lose sleep over it.
mrdeth

Sep 22, 2005, 10:57 PM
dont bother patchx, you could tell him boiling water was hot and he would argue
SexyRSgirl

Sep 22, 2005, 10:07 PM
Right now Verizon upsets me to no end but when u break it down they are the best and i wouldnt trade my verizon for anyothers 🙂
nextel18

Jul 5, 2005, 11:29 AM
hey buddy.. i would chose nextel over verizon. a few reason why.

1. push to talk
2. free incoming.

it also depends what area you are located in. some times nextel is better and sometimes verizon is better. it just depends on the location sometimes.
mrdeth

Sep 22, 2005, 10:58 PM
you would choose nextel over the explanation to the meaning of life and a seat just to the right of the Lords throne
toltet

Jul 6, 2005, 10:36 AM
I would Stay were you are at, go from month to month then come to Sprint/Nextel after the Merger. Let them get that out of the way and you will have better luck
nikg

Jul 17, 2005, 7:02 PM
Good idea...
frankiewawa

Jul 7, 2005, 9:34 AM
do yourself a favor and stick with verizon.... unless you use the nextel walkie talkie alot... nextels coverage is friggin terrible.
Day5InJanuary

Jul 9, 2005, 9:22 PM
i agree...unless some of your friends or you work uses the nextel walkie talkie feature i would just stick with verizon. i have been with verizon and i am now with nextel. i have to say both companies are great. my house has really bad cell phone service, so one day i took my buddies verizon phone and my nextel phone, put them in the same area and watched the different signal strengths. the nextel was jumping from 1 bar 2 four bars rapidly...the verizon phone was steady at 3 bars. the funny part is when i used to have my verizon service i would have 2 or three bars and peolple i would sometimes talking would constantly ask me to repeat something and say i was breaking up, this happened with numerouse verizon phones...now with nextel my servi...
(continues)
Wizemaster

Jul 15, 2005, 11:27 PM
When I call a Nextel number this is the message I usually get.

"Please wait while the Nextel subscriber is being located"

Then 40% of the time it never rings and goes to voice mail. I believe they use resold GSM service. Only the iDen is reliable.

I would avoid Nextel unless you just want to use it for the iDen Walkie Talkies.
MarkF

Jul 16, 2005, 5:04 AM
Wizemaster said:
When I call a Nextel number this is the message I usually get.

"Please wait while the Nextel subscriber is being located"

Then 40% of the time it never rings and goes to voice mail. I believe they use resold GSM service. Only the iDen is reliable.

I would avoid Nextel unless you just want to use it for the iDen Walkie Talkies.

NEXTEL phones aren't capable of GSM. All they do is iDEN and nothing else.
As to the message, this is the typical message you get when the person you are calling is using the Direct Connect at the same time that you are calling them.
everman

Jul 16, 2005, 1:50 PM
blah blah blah.

All that you said is code for Nextel sucks
MarkF

Jul 17, 2005, 5:35 AM
everman said:
blah blah blah.

All that you said is code for Nextel sucks

I don't have a clue of what your trying to say. I wasn't defending NEXTEL, just stating the facts.
everman

Aug 9, 2005, 1:50 PM
To be honest with you, I cant tell what I was replying to on this thread anymore since it was awhile back. Chances are, I was replying to Nextel18. I can tell you that from the looks of things, I was not replying to your posts even though I selected it for my reply.
everman

Sep 10, 2005, 4:08 PM
bump

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.