Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 27 replies

Sprint/Nextel Merger

scoopster

Feb 24, 2005, 3:45 PM
Hey, I have been doing some research on this rumor I heard about Sprint and Verizon merger. My friend heard it on the radio but i told her that Sprint and Nextel merged. Can anyone clear this up for me. Is Verizon going to buy Sprint or are they going to merged with Sprint before things are final with Nextel?

I read this article on Sprint and Nextel but it was awhile ago.

https://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=1035 »

Sorry if this has been asked before but I am new.
ccanady

Feb 24, 2005, 3:58 PM
where in that whole article does it mention anything about verizon? Verizon will not merge with sprint. Sprint and Nextel's merger is supposed to make them a power house, why merge with Verizon?
scoopster

Feb 24, 2005, 5:54 PM
It does mentioned it . . . that is my point . . . I havent read anything on it but didnt know if anyone has heard of the merger . . . after talking to a few people supposedly Verizon and Sprint are talking.
armyofun

Feb 25, 2005, 12:17 AM
i don't see it happening
TommyBoy

Feb 26, 2005, 1:18 AM
I know that vodafone gave verizon the go ahead to place a bid on sprint but verizon declined. I know it would be semi compatible for the two to merge but nextel and sprint decided to go the extra step. I'm just thinking vzw should just buy altell and get it over with.. It would put them back in the lead with mob to mob calling at least..
bdizzle

Feb 26, 2005, 2:28 AM
i have heard that verizon landline service may make an offer on sprints landline service to counter the sbc at&t deal
upstatesprintguy

Feb 26, 2005, 2:52 PM
where does everyone hear this stuff???? the sprint/verizon thing was a little while back when sprint was in the process of acquiring nextel. that is correct, vodaphone did give them the go ahead, and i believe verizon actually made a silent bid, (which we wont know of) but nothing has come of it. honestly, i would hate to merge with America's most arrogant cell phone company. Sprint's paperwork was actually filed for the nextel merger last week i believe, so we will take it from there for the future. my interest lies in how they are going to combine the two way features. i know that they chose cdma as their service base, so what it seems like is either they are going to have to start doing nextel cdma phones, because the RL is internet ...
(continues)
SprintKnowItAll

Feb 26, 2005, 5:45 PM
the nextel 2way works on an 700 mghz and sprints is on a 750mghz so the change will be very easy and error free 😳
verizonmatt

Mar 17, 2005, 9:39 PM
NO THATS NOT ACTUALLY THE CASE AT ALL SPRINT OPERATES ON A 1900MHZ FREQUENCT ADN NEXTEL IS IN THE 800MHZ FREQUENCY! TO BE QUITE HONEST THERE A GONNA BE ALOT OF P***** OFF NEXTEL CUSTOMERS!!!THE 800 MHZ IS STRONGER THAN THE 1900MHZ! WHICH MEANS NEXTEL WILL GIVE A BETTER IN BUILDING SIGNAL! CAN'T WAIT!!!
nextel18

Feb 27, 2005, 6:37 PM
"Sprint's paperwork was actually filed for the nextel merger last week i believe"

yea, it was filed with the antitrust bodies and the fcc.

"vodaphone did give them the go ahead"

actually, it was said that vodaphone DID NOT give verizon the permission.

---

they are going to make dual mode phones. but in 2007-2008 they are going to use qchat over their rev a system. what interests me is what are they going to do with their mmds spectrum. i am thinking wimax and that could destroy the competition.

this company together will be one of the best wireless players in the industry and we will have to see what happens next.....

my thinking was that nextel/sprint merge then verizon buys out vodaphoens stake, then vodaphone buy...
(continues)
Big Poppa

Mar 1, 2005, 9:20 PM
Thats funny.. After that "Information" was released, another Story was release the next day with a responce from Vodaphone saying they did not give the go ahead on anything.
nextel18

Mar 4, 2005, 6:24 PM
exactly!
bigdaddyjay

Mar 4, 2005, 6:55 PM
I still think that Vodaphone is a pawn is some bigger game. I have a theory that they bid on ATT to drive the price up so that Cingular would pay way to much and they knew that Cingular would be a dead fish without more spectrum. Ponder it a little and remember that Verizon wireless is very profitable for Voda.
nextel18

Mar 4, 2005, 7:01 PM
yea, i was thinking the same. vodaphone didnt want att wireless over verizon wireless i mean come on.

cingular, att wireless and tmobile are all done soon becuase sprint/nextel and verizon are so much better and more advanced them all of those providers i mentioned.

vodaphone, i belive, will sell its 45 percent ownership for about 20-25 billion dollars then go after nextel/sprint. thats my take and i have thought that for a while...
bigdaddyjay

Mar 4, 2005, 7:06 PM
I think Vodaphone will stay where they are, My brother told me they are working on EV DO/UMTS cards for Verizon/Voda customers and getting ready to launch the MOTO CDMA/GSM phone soon. Voda would have to pay a fortune for Sprint/Nextel and they already have a business plan with Verizon with the above mentioned products. If Voda really wanted to Play they would buy Cingular if they really needed a GSM based network.
nextel18

Mar 4, 2005, 7:10 PM
fortune? i dont think a fortune. would you rather own 45 percent of a company or 100 percent of a company? they can always use shares or call it a merger of equals or some shares and cash and things of that nature. voda needs a cdma carrier and they would either buy out the 55 percent of verizon wireless which they could do but verizon wont let them or sell their 45 percent stake and buy nextel/sprint.

owning 100 percent is the best way to go. they will get more on an return on equity then on a 45 percent ownership. i belive they dont even have a say on the board.
bigdaddyjay

Mar 4, 2005, 7:15 PM
SBC must have had a great year, my buddy just called and he's buying tonight!!!! He just got a 24,000 bonus!!! I don't think Cingular will be for sale anythime soon, haha. he does carry a Verizon Wireless phone for personal use though even though he is in sales at SBC and gets a free Cingy phone.
nextel18

Mar 4, 2005, 7:19 PM
sbc and bell south wont sell cingular unless sbc or bell south has a fun bidding war. no one wins in a bidding war, everyone ends up loosing just like verizon, mcip, and quest and cingular,att wireless and vodaphone.

however, i dont think that cingular/att wireless nor tmobile will survive in 5-10 years from now after sprint/nextel has merged officially with their networks coming together.
bigdaddyjay

Mar 4, 2005, 7:22 PM
The market will allow three to four carriers, I see T-Bag Mobile having the hardest time making it.
nextel18

Mar 4, 2005, 7:24 PM
i agree. with only 16-18 million customers it wont make it. the problem is can they merge? of course not, so what happens? no idea.
bigdaddyjay

Mar 4, 2005, 7:32 PM
They will likely stay around and be the cheap service with mega minutes that they already are.
nextel18

Mar 4, 2005, 7:33 PM
maybe, however, i dont think so. consumers want more and more and more. if your company doesnt have great high speed data or whatever, you wont do well.
bigdaddyjay

Mar 4, 2005, 7:39 PM
Don't forget, there will always be K-Mart shoppers out there. A lot of people in the Mortgage and Real Estate industry use T=Bag because of the huge bucket of minutes and their network quality is the best of the GSM carriers so the cost is good. nextel also ranks up there since they have free incomming plans (the wife has a nextel, VZW phone and VZW EV DO card). it's happy hour and SBC is paying my tab tonight, hahahaha.
nextel18

Mar 4, 2005, 7:44 PM
not if kmart goes chapter 11 like it almost did. i dont think sears and the kmart marriage will do well.

gsm network is actually terrible and thats why they are going to wcdma or umts/hspda.

yea, mortage people and real estate are starting to pick up with nextel, actually according to my channel checks.

have fun with SBC's money!!!

fyi, gsm will be gone soon.
nextel18

Feb 26, 2005, 9:28 AM
verizon/sprint merger wont pass regulatory approval.
nextel18

Feb 26, 2005, 9:27 AM
verizon wont buy either sprint nor nextel. there is no point of doing it. in my opinion, they will buy out the 45 percent of vodaphone's ownership and get 100 percent ownership in verizon wireless. vzw's growth is better then nextel and sprints. however, vodaphone can go after nextel/sprint.
SprintKnowItAll

Feb 27, 2005, 11:37 AM
why wouldn't verizon wanna buy sprint?? i guess they were just playing with that silent offer they put on the table eh? of course verizon would wanna buy sprint and why not sprint phones are better motorolas 🤣 get a real phone and then talk to me 😈 , i could see verizon only buying out sprint if the offer is ridiculously high.
nextel18

Feb 27, 2005, 6:29 PM
why wouldnt verizon want sprint? lets think about that shall we.

1. they are probably going to win the bid for mci at around 7-8 billion dollars
2. antitrust problems with sprint/verizon
3. wireless is the key and verizon wireless does not need sprint.
4. verizon needs 100 percent ownership of verizon wireless in about of 20 billion dollars
5. they would spend 40 billion dollars on sprint, 1 billion for the break up fee, and 7-8 billion dollars for mci. thats a lot of money
6. 28 billion vs 48-49 billion hmm i wonder which one is better.

so yea. verizon wont buy sprint. plus they would have to get the OK from vodaphone which is unlikely. there ya go.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.