Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 25 replies

How to avoid VZW termination fee HELP!!!

donnybrasco201

Jan 4, 2009, 10:43 PM
I have 15 months left on my VZW contract. I have the BB Curve and desperately want to switch to AT&T. I've heard the service isn't as good but I think the overall functionality of the IPhone is worth the downgrade in reception.

I've read that people got out of their contracts in 2007 when VZW changed their charge for texting from $0.10 to $0.15. But, they have changed anything in the contract lately so that won't work for me.

Another way was to find someone to take over my contract.

So, would anyone like to take over my VZW contract or know of any other ways to not pay the excessively ridiculous termination fee?

Thanks in advance!!!! 😁
llama

Jan 4, 2009, 10:53 PM
So you're actually coming to a cell phone web site looking for help on how to break a contract you just signed?

Man up and pay the ETF or STFU!
donnybrasco201

Jan 4, 2009, 11:53 PM
Dude, what's your problem??? Why would I not come to this site?? Why does getting out my VZW contract offend you so much??

I came here for help. If you can't help that keep your mouth shut!

I came here looking for ideas or better yet someone that it looking for a VZW contract.
Hombre07

Jan 5, 2009, 1:33 AM
I'm not offended because it's common for people to want to break a legally binding contract.

However, this is no rumor, so gtfo.
IamTheGodfather

Jan 6, 2009, 8:13 AM
first and foremost READ WHERE U POST AT...this is not relevant to the forum your in.

secondly, your not getting out of our contracts without pay the etf.

third....ridiculous ETF fee....guess what...the company your interested in ( AppleTT) is higher and once you realize how much you just gave up , your going to be facing the same issue.

anyone who switches for the i phone is a zombie and mindless, especially when they are using a curve , since it is the most practical ad efficient business and personal device on the market.
JonHalpin

Jan 7, 2009, 9:36 AM
Firstly, At&t and Verizon have the same early termination fees. $175 that declines by $5 for every full month of service.

Secondly, I would swith from Verizon to At&t for the Iphone too. The only phone Verizon carries thats remotely "cool" is the storm and we all know how thats turned out so far.
I do agree that the iphone is over rated, but its still a nice phone when it comes down to it.
lxav06

Jan 8, 2009, 3:07 AM
to think the iphone is a great phone.
you not wanting to pay etf is like a hooker not wanting to catch aids or any type of VD.
or someone wanting to drine fast in car and not get hurt in a car accident.
FknTwizted

Jan 10, 2009, 2:03 PM
lol, yeah before you jump ship on your current provider you better read up on the iphone. you would be suprised how under featured the phone is such as cant do mms messages, has a internal battery so that means you have to send the phone to apple if the battery is bad or gets old amongst other things. on top of that the service is quite slow but i did hear it kinda got better with the 3g one. good hunting.
Menno

Jan 7, 2009, 7:09 PM
Because the reason the ETF is there is because you got an EXTREMELY discounted rate on your BB Curve.

You signed a contract to do so. Verizon has NOT altered that contract, meaning that it is still binding. If you want to leave, pay the ETF.

If you don't want ETFs, pay full retail for your phone and you get a month to month contract.

llama and others are angry because it is customers trying to weasel around the system that cause many headaches for reps and make actual exceptions (such as someone moving out of country) harder to verify and credit.

It's essentially shoplifting in that it harms everyone in the end because people dont want to play by the rules they agreed to.
kapwww

Jan 5, 2009, 7:23 PM
Pay full price for your phone so you can go month to month. Oh...wait...you already signed a CONTRACT for 24 months so you could be cheap and not pay so much for your phone. Yeah...with the variable ETF...man up. Its still cheaper than full retail. And yes...phones really do cost that much. Educate yourself before you try to come back and tell me how we rip people off at retail.
kapwww

Jan 5, 2009, 7:24 PM
...you are probably posting in the wrong forum. What does trying to screw your carrier have to do with rumors?
Burger Time

Jan 6, 2009, 11:48 AM
donnybrasco201 said:
I have 15 months left on my VZW contract. I have the BB Curve and desperately want to switch to AT&T. I've heard the service isn't as good but I think the overall functionality of the IPhone is worth the downgrade in reception.

I've read that people got out of their contracts in 2007 when VZW changed their charge for texting from $0.10 to $0.15. But, they have changed anything in the contract lately so that won't work for me.

Another way was to find someone to take over my contract.

So, would anyone like to take over my VZW contract or know of any other ways to not pay the excessively ridiculous termination fee?

Thanks in advance!!!! 😁

There is no way to get out of payi...
(continues)
dualitycomplex

Jan 6, 2009, 2:12 PM
cause he's the typical customer.....cheap, doesn't read contracts, never thinks ahead, thinks we in the world of wireless owe him something for the service he pays to use under the agreement he signed.....hell i dont know why people in verizon are complaining this guy might be leaving one less mouth breather to darken my door.
xIsamuTM

Jan 6, 2009, 4:13 PM
be nice to the bob's.
Burger Time

Jan 6, 2009, 4:41 PM
dualitycomplex said:
cause he's the typical customer.....cheap, doesn't read contracts, never thinks ahead, thinks we in the world of wireless owe him something for the service he pays to use under the agreement he signed.....hell i dont know why people in verizon are complaining this guy might be leaving one less mouth breather to darken my door.

LOL. I hear ya there. I think people should just pay the stinkin' ETFs and move on with life.
Turbo187

Jan 6, 2009, 2:15 PM
You should also keep in mind that a lot of authorized and premium retailers charge an additional ETF fee for you cancelling before the year is up. Especially so if you used a credit card to make your purchase, they'll just automatically withdraw the etf. Ouch.
But if you bought direct there will only be the standard ETF fee. Know your retailers - some are shady.
taoareyou

Jan 6, 2009, 3:57 PM
I know if you cancel your service under six months into a new contract we charge you $150 for the phone which is separate from what the service provider charges. It's clearly stated in large text on the front of the receipt that your credit card will be charged.

It's for a valid reason. We sell the phones anywhere between $200 and $100 below cost and the provider pays us for the contract. If the contract is cancelled, we get charged back and so have taken a couple hundred dollars in losses. We give you the phone below cost on good faith that you will keep the service. If you break that contract, we can recover our losses.
taoareyou

Jan 6, 2009, 4:00 PM
Well more likely, speculation. I think it would be funny if this guy jumps ship, then next year when the iPhone will most likely show up on verizon, he will be posting here trying to figure out how to get out of the AT&T etf. 🤣
Burger Time

Jan 6, 2009, 4:43 PM
taoareyou said:
Well more likely, speculation. I think it would be funny if this guy jumps ship, then next year when the iPhone will most likely show up on verizon, he will be posting here trying to figure out how to get out of the AT&T etf. 🤣

I think he should be forced to sign up with Nextel...
donnybrasco201

Jan 6, 2009, 4:54 PM
WOW!!! I didn't mean to upset everyone. I've received a lot of help from these forums in the past. I apologize!!

It's going to cost me $135 because of the pro-rating. I figured there was no way to get out of the ETF so my main reason for posting was to see if anyone wanted to take over my contract.....which is what the rep told me to do.

I'm sorry for posting under RUMOR MILL. I revised my post and listed under GENERAL.

PS I get corporate discounts for both providers and AT&T will allow me to cancel the contract anytime without paying any ETF (as stated in my corporate contract with AT&T and by a rep). So, if the IPhone ever comes to VZW I'm coming back for free.

Sincerely sorry and am appreciative of all the help.
wlcme2breaktown

Jan 6, 2009, 5:23 PM
- if you come back to vzw within 90 days - they'll refund your etf. just for your info 😲)

Sorry to hear that you want to leave the, by far, greatest carrier!

.. Maybe you should check into the storm before you go iphone crazy though...

If you don't have ins on your curve, vzw will let you purchase at 1 year promo pricing, and you'll get your corporate discount off of that too..

If you do have ins - call and have it removed.. and then call and tell them you're curve has water damage - you'll be offered the 1 year pricing.

- if you hate the storm - return it within 30 days and THEN go get the iphone..
Burger Time

Jan 7, 2009, 11:25 AM
donnybrasco201 said:
WOW!!! I didn't mean to upset everyone. I've received a lot of help from these forums in the past. I apologize!!

It's going to cost me $135 because of the pro-rating. I figured there was no way to get out of the ETF so my main reason for posting was to see if anyone wanted to take over my contract.....which is what the rep told me to do.

I'm sorry for posting under RUMOR MILL. I revised my post and listed under GENERAL.

PS I get corporate discounts for both providers and AT&T will allow me to cancel the contract anytime without paying any ETF (as stated in my corporate contract with AT&T and by a rep). So, if the IPhone ever comes to VZW I'm coming back for free.

Sincerely sorry a
(continues)
wlcme2breaktown

Jan 6, 2009, 5:19 PM
Very true.

Verizon and Apple are talking. If Apple can man up and make a DECENT phone.

Iphone is a good toy.. therefor it should be called iTOY.. for a phone.. it's terrible.
dualitycomplex

Jan 7, 2009, 6:56 PM
"WOW!!! I didn't mean to upset everyone. I've received a lot of help from these forums in the past. I apologize!!

Sincerely sorry and am appreciative of all the help"

can you...
(continues)
Menno

Jan 8, 2009, 10:50 AM
You got a severely discounted phone in exchange for agreeing to pay for service for 24 months. Written in that agreement was the understanding that should you cancel, you would have to pay an early termination fee because you were breaking the contract.

The only way the contract can be broken without the fee (assuming no corporate deals)
-If the terms of your agreement change, such as they increase the cost of your rate plan, increase the cost of features (text messaging, data, etc) and don't grandfather you in. Verizon is VERY good at grandfathering people in.
-Service in your home area drops to a level that it is unusable. Verizon agrees to provide you with service, if they cannot do so, they cannot hold you to a contract. This is...
(continues)
-chels-

Jan 21, 2009, 6:44 PM
Just change your address to a place not covered by Verizon. That's what my old roommate did. It seemed to work fine.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.