Home  ›  Forums  ›

Rumor Mill

all discussions

show all 43 replies

Radio Shack dropping Sprint and bringing back VZW!

yesVZW

Sep 27, 2008, 12:37 PM
I've heard they are considering it.
mist668

Sep 27, 2008, 3:32 PM
when i worked there that was the only time we sold wireless was when we had verizon. but then again all verizon sucks as far as service and price, people are always lined up in the store complaining about something. sprint just sucks period, especially in rural and urban areas. I guess its good in one aspect but bad in another. I like it when it was nice and peaceful in the store making absolutely nothing.
altryan

Sep 27, 2008, 3:35 PM
Than you should get a different job.
Nadesico81

Sep 29, 2008, 6:21 AM
Well I belive the shack signed a five year contact with AT&T. However it all depends on what kind of deal VZW would give RS if they swich back.

VZW is very much like big brother when it come to Auth Retailers. They want to control every thing from phone priceing to POP. They also have been trying to bring all there sales for the last few years under there own roof. Thats why you see less and less small wireless places sell VZW. Circut City dumped all the other wireless providors in exchange for VZW kiosk in there stores. Last time I was back in the USA most of the small VZW indapendents closed shop or are selling US Cell/Sprint instead of VZW.

I like haveing RS sell AT&T it gives them acess to GSM. However they might go back to VZW s...
(continues)
stinkercole

Sep 30, 2008, 10:29 AM
When I worked in RS VZW was in the store, and I rarely saw people coming in to get new phones, to be honest they only had like 4 phones in stock and they were all discontinued and highly over priced. As to where ATT came into the store the inventory was mostly att phones. Traffic was unbelieveable!!! and correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that ATT gives out more spiffs then VZW ever did!!
ElTriste

Sep 30, 2008, 4:27 PM
oh....they do. Especially when we had triple spiffs...ahh...those were the days 😎
X_MOSES_X

Oct 8, 2008, 2:51 PM
Radio Shack is good for one thing when it comes to selling cellular services. Causing the carriers headaches because they don't know WTF they are talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Maybe you should go work for the actual carrier and see for yourself what damage you cause.
ElTriste

Nov 8, 2008, 8:16 PM
I've worked with rs for a while, and the core stores are the ones who messed everything up. Check your facts. there are some dumb-ass associates, but dont assume all are clueless
Fandim

Dec 25, 2008, 5:10 PM
LoL... I've had quite a few callers and heard a lot of horror stories about RS reps.. but not nearly as many as like small kiosks etc.

And store reps dont generally mess things up, they just add every possible feature they can. ;)

Easy enough to fix that one, lol.
mist668

Sep 30, 2008, 10:52 AM
The best thing for rs to do would be get the heck out of cell phones all together and go back into the radio buisness. We had att and never had any phones in stock. If we did they were outdated. We had sprint phones out the wazoo but they sucked in this area/ all over.
taoareyou

Sep 30, 2008, 3:22 PM
Aren't cell phones techically radios?
Skiffy

Sep 28, 2008, 1:32 PM
They have no business selling wireless service in the first place. I've never heard horror stories like the ones I hear from customers of Radioshack.
Hombre07

Sep 28, 2008, 11:19 PM
Any retailer like such really, consider Wal-Mart, Costco, Sam's Club, some grocery stores, Car Toys; I mean really, I'm sure the wireless industry has some good revenue but stick to what you know.
Nadesico81

Sep 29, 2008, 6:25 AM
It all depends I have seen good and bad service from just about every one Best Buy, Circut City, Corp stores etc etc etc.

At the end of the day it all boils down to the people selling the phone and how good they are. Its really hit or miss depending on the area.
ac4321

Sep 28, 2008, 10:13 PM
The prospects of this make me do a little happy dance inside my mind.

To all VZW corporate store reps, you have my condolences.
🤣
Hombre07

Sep 28, 2008, 11:18 PM
I also heard of them picking Verizon back up but I didn't think they'd drop Sprint of all carriers.
stinkercole

Sep 30, 2008, 11:42 AM
FYI: Sam's Club Kiosk is owned by a subsidary of Radioshack called R-Solutions. So they are basically the shack with just cell phone services.
mist668

Sep 30, 2008, 12:49 PM
Yep, and they both get paid the same crappy way
TWTheta-Ci

Sep 30, 2008, 1:09 PM
Wow I think it will be a great move for RS to get VZ back..

I managed a RadioShack for 4 years and our Best commision was always with Verizon and Sprint. ATT and Tmobile to give you anyhting for spiff compared to the 2. We used to get 15 bucks just to ad vcast. As far as them dropping sprint I doubt it. RadioShack has been selling Cellular One/Sprint since its start before any Sprint stores existed so I see that As a far off notion. Sprint is about to have a huge reserge with their 4g network and realignment of their corporation as a whole since the crappy nextel takeover.
mist668

Sep 30, 2008, 4:01 PM
crappy nextel, nextel works better in rural areas then sprint will, call quality is the same, and prices are close to being the same aswell.

who needs a 4g network if your network only covers major cities, what about urban cities that have absolutely nothing close to that

Let me tell you bud, I worked in store #01-2077, you look that up and you'll see that there is crap for sprint in that area, and see that they sell absolutely no sprint gear.
jrfdsf

Sep 30, 2008, 5:46 PM
mist668 said:
crappy nextel, nextel works better in rural areas then sprint will, call quality is the same, and prices are close to being the same aswell.

Nextel is either on or off in rural areas. No roaming. At least with Sprint, you can roam off of other networks and make or receive calls.

I had Nextel for 4 years before switching to a Powersource phone, now QChat, and I can tell you for a fact I have WAY better coverage. I never see "no service" like I did with Nextel iDEN.

Sprint will work where Verizon, Alltel or any other CDMA based network will. You might roam more, but at the end of the day, who cares since the majority of the time you use a cellphone where you work and live.
Maarek

Nov 4, 2008, 10:46 PM
Radio Shack would sell themselves overseas before dropping Sprint.

Radio Shack is the reason Why sprint is still around. Sprint would beg not to be let go.

Oh and RS is NOT picking up Verizon. Verizon has a rule. They will not be in the same store with 2 competitors, they only allow 1.

The reason why Radio Shack Booted Verizon is that they wanted to bring in AT&T, Verizon said they had a rule, so RS booted them as soon as the contract was up.
Stupid Customer

Nov 12, 2008, 3:11 PM
Then why does my local Best Buy carry VZW, Sprint and at&t? 🤨 Sure they wont sell with tw competitors? 🤨
JLYNNE

Nov 13, 2008, 8:30 PM
Because Verizon allows retailers to have two competitors, not one.
mellowlen62

Nov 14, 2008, 6:37 AM
RS did not boot VZW. VZ left the Shack. Get your facts straight.
DiamondPro

Nov 8, 2008, 7:34 PM
Radio Shack is not the reason why Sprint is still in business. Thats just pure BS Sprint has some of the best store fronts and locations. I see no reason to go into Radio Shack when I can go into Sprint and have a way better phone selection and reps that know what there talking about.
cellboothmgr

Nov 12, 2008, 11:09 AM
sprint and RS signed a 10 or 11 year deal roughly 2 years ago. with that in mind they wouldnt be getting rid of sprint any time soon. they signed a similar deal with Att at the same time. again, vz has a "rule" that they can only be sold next to 1 other competitor so i doubt this will be very likely in the near future. radio shack sucks and no one buys phones there.
JLYNNE

Nov 13, 2008, 8:31 PM
It's TWO competitors.
ajlineman

Nov 13, 2008, 9:37 PM
Radio shack surpassed every sprint core store in week by week sales for over 3 months now? They might not be knowledgable, but consumers are often under the impression they don't make commission and still have alot of knowledge... and might provide a less biased oppinion... You might not like RadioShack... but you can't cut them down, its a big corperation and they make ALOT of money/sales.
Saint.Patrick

Nov 14, 2008, 12:16 AM
I hate to say this, but if it was a Sunday and all the corporate Sprint retail stores were closed and I needed either to get new Sprint wireless service and/or upgrade a phone on my account, I would go to the closest Best Buy since their employees are non commissioned. I feel Rat Shack employees are going to push the wireless carrier for the most part who is giving them the largest rip for that particular month. Back in the day before Verizon Wireless opened corporate retail kiosks in a Circuit City, their red coat employees were just like Rat Shack ones.
yesVZW

Nov 23, 2008, 3:11 PM
Saint.Patrick said:
I hate to say this, but if it was a Sunday and all the corporate Sprint retail stores were closed and I needed either to get new Sprint wireless service and/or upgrade a phone on my account, I would go to the closest Best Buy since their employees are non commissioned. I feel Rat Shack employees are going to push the wireless carrier for the most part who is giving them the largest rip for that particular month. Back in the day before Verizon Wireless opened corporate retail kiosks in a Circuit City, their red coat employees were just like Rat Shack ones.

In most markets the only Sprint service available to you at a Best Buy is their aircard. Best Buy did not renew their contract with ...
(continues)
liquidfire

Nov 23, 2008, 4:59 PM
that they dont want or dont need everyone under the sun selling them....

whats the point of having 6 different re-sellers? when you have a big issue with something, they typically just send you to the corp store anyway. so just have corp stores and a few retailers and it makes things less complicated
filerx

Dec 28, 2008, 4:48 PM
I completely agree with you on that one.
mellowlen62

Nov 14, 2008, 6:40 AM
I had no problem with the shack, bought all my phones from them simply because they were closer to my house and it was convenient. I always had knowledgeable salespeople. Then Verizon left and so did I. And I was told by Verizon AND Radio Shack that Verizon terminated the relationship. Of course I wasn't given specifics but a lot of you are just arguing for the sake of arguing.
sckoisks17

Dec 1, 2008, 6:06 PM
Nearly all RadioShack stores that sell Alltel services will begin selling Verizon services once the merger is complete. I'm not sure if any RadioShack stand-alone stores carry Alltel, but about 30% of R-Solutions (Sam's Club kiosks) do.
ajlineman

Dec 1, 2008, 9:31 PM
What radioshacks sell Alltel? I've only seen sprint and previously VZW. I possibly need to get out more.
dave73

Dec 20, 2008, 1:19 AM
I know in most of Michigan, I saw Alltel sold at some Walmart stores where Verizon either had no network at all, or barely had a network. One Walmart store I was at in South Haven Michigan, sold Alltel, Sprint (iPCS), AT&T, & T-Mobile. With Verizon acquiring Alltel in that part of Michigan, I believe Verizon will be taking Alltel's spot in Walmart. I don't know if that's still the case today, but this was in 2006, when I last visited that store in Michigan.
ajlineman

Dec 9, 2008, 8:32 PM
So I got a dumb question for yall.
Does radioshack exclusivly deal for Sprint or do they deal other carriers as well?
I've had agents refer customers to Radio Shack for AT&T services.
IrishCarBomb

Dec 9, 2008, 8:46 PM
They deal with multiple companies... I want to say Sprint and AT&T for sure, maybe T-Mobile, but not sure on that since my area doesn't have T-Mo it has an affiliate instead.
ajlineman

Dec 9, 2008, 9:55 PM
I see. So this is a really long thread about the possibility of Radio Shack selling VZW rather then sprint... whats the big deal if they already deal other phone carriers? I can see it being big if they were dealing exclusivly but I mean common... Even Walmart deals phones for multiple carriers.
IrishCarBomb

Dec 11, 2008, 5:55 PM
Yeah, I think the big deal is that Verizon has an exclusivity clause in their indirect dealership contract that says you can only sell Verizon...
dave73

Dec 20, 2008, 1:31 AM
IrishCarBomb said:
Yeah, I think the big deal is that Verizon has an exclusivity clause in their indirect dealership contract that says you can only sell Verizon...

Those who go the premium retailer route can only sell Verizon service, and have to make their stores look like a Verizon store. Other agents don't have that restriction. As for Verizon returning to Radio Shack is possible, but only if they & Verizon can work on some kind of agreement. That was what didn't get worked out that Radio Shack dropped Verizon in 2006, and went with AT&T (then Cingular). Regardless of Radio Shack location, I've only seen 2 carriers sold in their stores, and regardless of corporate or franchise stores. Radio Shack ...
(continues)
yaamakoh

Dec 25, 2008, 2:17 PM
To clear things up a bit with folks here, yes there are Verizon Wireless Phone sku's built into our POS system. For instance, the Voyager, Env2, chocolate, etc. Radioshack pos systems are shared as well by the kiosks, which sell verizon. It's just s shared system, we don't carry the kiosks phones, and they don't carry some of our phones.
Radioshack won't be even able to sign an agreement with Verizon as well, due to the breakup from before.

That's what my district manager says, but here's something I heard from a third party source.

If we do decide to carry Verizon, we will NOT drop Sprint, instead we will carry all three Major carriers. We can not drop Sprint, since the next quarterly lineup of phones have arrived in our system. ...
(continues)
-chels-

Jan 21, 2009, 6:44 PM
I have heard nothing about this. But that would Rock!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.