Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

laptop bluetooth to z525a to isp ........ help please !!!

fishlvd

Sep 13, 2006, 11:43 AM
I have a sony ericsson z525a through cingular. I also have a roadrunner cable account at home. Roadrunner allows remote access to my account via phone modem while travelling etc.
I would like to use my laptop while travelling, connect to my cell phone using a usb bluetooth, and use the cell phone as my modem, and dial my roadrunner dial up access number......bingo.....internet connection.
But it doesnt work.
Bluetooth between phone and laptop seems fine. Transfers pictures etc fine. just doesnt want to dial out and connect.
Been working on this for days.
Any help greatly appreciated !!!!
ralph_on_me

Sep 13, 2006, 3:19 PM
You'll need the Data Connect plan on your cell phone to put your laptop online. DUN isn't supported.
fishlvd

Sep 14, 2006, 1:17 PM
Why do i have to pay cingular $40 a month more ? i already have an isp. i dont need cingular to be my isp. i just want the phone to work as a modem. i already pay for tons and tons of minutes on the phone to cingular.
mmcnier

Sep 14, 2006, 4:30 PM
The reason is because it isnt used via minutes. It is used via Data GPRS. Dial-up Networking just isnt usefull via mobile. THis is why you have to connect via Bluetooth using MediaNet. The cost is billed via GPRS. I used my z525 as a modem a couple of months ago because i didnt have a phone line to dial into. It worked really good! You will need the data plan for connection. If you dont get a data plan, you will be billed per Kb & that could run you bill up by the thousands, since each Kb costs $.03. One 10 min connection can easily use 500,000 Kb. Paying $40 for unlimited access is a steal compared to that.
ralph_on_me

Sep 14, 2006, 6:54 PM
If you're trying to use your phone for DUN there's also some feature that has to be added to the account. I haven't looked for it in over a year, but it was something to do with fax service. Otherwise your phone simply will not support DUN and there's no other way around it. The reason that fax feature isn't supported is because the speed is so, so slow.

Also, the Unlimited Data Connect plan is $59.99. PDA Connect is $39.99. You need the Data Connect though. If you don't need unlimited, there are smaller packages avaiable.

End of line.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.