Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

help; clarification needed

kvanledtje

Jun 24, 2006, 10:11 AM
I'm getting ready for the "next level" of phone purchase. Decision is b/t Samsung I830 and Treo 700P. Here's what I can't seem to get a clear answer to.

What i want is to be able to plug my phone into my notebook computer (whick already has WiFi capability), and be able to do email, web browse, etc. from the computer, not the phone (as if i was accessing a wifi network somewhere. I have Verizon wireless.

If i'm reading correctly, i THINK i can do this with both these phones - the only difference seems to be whether i need global capabilities or not. can someone please confirm this (ideally if someone's already doing it, i'd love to hear from him/her).

Also, do i need any additional cards, software, or anything to have this capab...
(continues)
alternals

Jun 25, 2006, 9:09 AM
The phone will come with the cable, drivers, etc. to hook it up to your laptop.
If you dont plan on using any of the pda features on the phone itself, you may want to consider just using a regular phone (would recomend an evdo phone) this can be hooked up to your laptop and used to connect to the internet as well. I use the 8100 and every now and then I need to connect it for a quick email or web browse, I dont subscribe to a data plan so every time I use it Im just using airtime. All you need is the cable and the drivers for the phone. I just use good old windows dialer and usually connect to 1x between 70 and 120kbps or evdo between 300 and 700kbps.
kvanledtje

Jun 25, 2006, 9:33 AM
That's very good information! Thanks for that clarification. I've just referred to my existing phone manual to figure out what model i have (Moto E815), and i believe it has EVDO, so i think that's what i'm going to go with.

Thanks so much alternals! You just saved me SEVERAL hundred $$$!
Data_King

Jul 25, 2006, 12:25 AM
The I830 does NOT tether for modem use. The I730 however DOES tether with the Windows Mobile 5 upgrade.

The 700P DOES tether.

They both work well. You can also do this with the Blackberry 7250, 7130e.

It is only an extra $15 a month on top of the voice and unlimitd PDA. VZW also has a 1 month free trial right now.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.