Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

Which Cell Phone Provider's Data Service is the fastest?

pgtogo2004

Jan 23, 2006, 12:52 AM
The answer to this may vary due to region, but I was wondering for those that have been with multiple cell phone providers over the years, which company's data service do you think is the fastest or even the best? I'm currently with Cingular and I already know how much faster EDGE is compared to GPRS, but I read in some places (can't remember where) that T-Mobile is saying that their GPRS is a high speed network? I also read that Verizon uses their high speed network similar to DSL?

I'm thinking of leaving Cingular in a year or so (stuck in 2 year contract and their data services are expensive) and would like to know what networks might be as fast or faster. There's no real way to know unless you've been with multiple carriers, ya kn...
(continues)
Wireless Consultant

Jan 23, 2006, 3:07 PM
I live in Miami, Florida. I have used GPRS, EDGE, 1XRT and EVDO as a customer with various carriers.

At this time Verizon is the fastest and has more cities covered with EVDO.

You said in a year or two you might switch, in a year or two everything will be different.

All the major carriers are all deploying faster data speeds with different technologies.

Wait until the last two months of your contract and ask the question again which is the fastest.
pgtogo2004

Jan 23, 2006, 5:03 PM
Thanks for the advice. You make an excellent point. I'll wait towards the end of my contract and post something similar again.

It would be nice to think that data service speeds through all cell phone companies will become faster. I just hope prices drop by $5-$10 for these plans, like with Cingular. That would make a big difference for alot of people on the bubble.
VZW_SMS

Jan 26, 2006, 4:16 PM
The speeds should not change much between now and then, though Wireless Consultant makes a good point about waiting for your contract to end.

Depending on if you're in the coverage area I would suggest Verizon's EVDO network for high-speed data (broadband access). By the time your contract is up you should also ask the tech-savy people here how much difference EVDO Revision 2 is going to be in comparison to the other networks out there when you're ready to upgrade.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.