Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

Wi-Fi

lovetoflyfish

Jan 13, 2006, 6:40 AM
I am looking to (upgrade?) to a "Smartphone" and would like to know, given that the phone has a web browser and a Wi-Fi card, if it would have to be on the carrier's system or would the phone work like a laptop/PDA when connecting to the internet, please?
The a-la-cart services seem to be insanely expensive!
Thank you for any help/suggestions.
Vox Dei

Jan 13, 2006, 9:22 AM
The answer to that quest is...Yes. If the smartphone has Wi-Fi then you will have the option to switch between Wi-Fi and the Carriers network. Keep in mind the Carriers network works anywere you go where Wi-Fi you have to be in a hotspot.
lovetoflyfish

Jan 13, 2006, 3:36 PM
G-d works in mysterious ways, doesn't he?!

Thank you for your kind and timely reply.

By the way, would you have any tips on getting the most use from your "Smartphone" without getting ripped by the carrier?
I figured on using Wi-Fi to retrieve email on occasion - it's not worth $50 extra a month for this or light web browsing.

Best Regards
Polargoat

Feb 5, 2006, 1:30 AM
i ended up getting a hitachi g1000 pocketpc (cdma/gprs) from ebay for 157 bucks new. It has a sd slot that can be patched to sdio. there are sdio wi-fi and sdio bluetooth cards out so that might be an option for you.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.