Home  ›  Forums  ›

Wireless Data

all discussions

show all 17 replies

using tmob internet access...

thejason

Feb 18, 2005, 9:18 PM
If I add unlimited internet onto my plan with TM and run a data cable to my computer from my phone, can I access the net on my computer?
YOOP33

Mar 19, 2005, 10:07 PM
I would probably guess not. That is the assumption that most people make. Most of the time carriers have seperate data plans that can handel all the information a regular computer sends and recieves and there for charge you more for it. In most cases the unlimited plan for true internet access from a computer will run you $79.99 a month. The internet you are probebly considering if for phones only.
terryjohnson16

Mar 19, 2005, 10:50 PM
Yes. Its called using your phone as a modem. T-mobile only charges $19.99 for Unlimited Data Usuage, as long as you have a voice plan with them. What phone do you have?
thejason

Mar 20, 2005, 3:15 PM
sam e715
terryjohnson16

Mar 20, 2005, 10:52 PM
Me, too. I used that phone before as a Modem. I had the $19.99 Unlimited Data Plan.
thejason

Mar 21, 2005, 7:26 PM
and it worked pretty well eh? $20 a month is a nice deal, I'm down with that, I just didn't want to shell out for the data cable if i didn't have to
terryjohnson16

Mar 21, 2005, 8:19 PM
You will have to buy the data cable. Buy it from a T-Mobile Direct store. If you had a Bluetooth-enabled phone and a bluetooth computer, you could use the bluetooth instead of the data cable. If your computer doesn't have bluetooth, you can get a USB Bluetooth Dongle from Ebay for cheap instead of buying from Best Buy or Circuit City unless you don't mind paying like $30 or more.
Here is an Ebay link for the Bluetooth Dongle:
http://search.ebay.com/bluetooth-Dongle_W0QQfcclZ1QQ ... »

Make sure the person that you decide to buy from has Good Feedback.

If you don't want to buy the Bluetooth dongle for the computer then you have to buy the $70 Samsung E715 Data Cable from T-Mobile. D...
(continues)
thejason

Mar 21, 2005, 8:36 PM
but damn, $70?!?

this better be one sexy data cable.
terryjohnson16

Mar 21, 2005, 8:59 PM
Here is what T-Mobile.com charges:

http://www.t-mobile.com/products/accessories/list.as ... »

You might get it cheaper from a T-Mobile Direct store.

Here is what Samsungusa.com charges:
http://www.samsungtelecom.com/wheretobuy/v205_dataki ... »
danielson

Mar 23, 2005, 8:17 PM
do you know what speed this internet operates at??
terryjohnson16

Mar 23, 2005, 8:33 PM
Depending on the phone, it can go UP to 56K. But it is mostly like around 40K. Hopefully when they launch EDGE which is faster, it will be like 2 to 3 times as fast as GPRS.
danielson

Mar 24, 2005, 1:23 PM
terryjohnson16 said:
Depending on the phone, it can go UP to 56K. But it is mostly like around 40K. Hopefully when they launch EDGE which is faster, it will be like 2 to 3 times as fast as GPRS.

thats pretty good! any phones you know of for tmobile that would work better than others for this?
terryjohnson16

Mar 24, 2005, 4:54 PM
It all depends on the phone. So for example, if you would look on phonescoop.com and look for the phone Nokia 6230, then look down the page for High Speed Data, that will show you the speed of the phone's modem feature.

Nokia 6230:
https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=408 »

Technology: EGPRS (EDGE)
class 10 (4+1 or 3+2) GPRS and EGPRS / speeds up to 236.8 Kbit/s with EDGE

Class 10 is usually pretty fast.

Try to look on this website for phones that u want info on and then it will give you info on it.
danielson

Mar 24, 2005, 5:18 PM
sweet thanks!
nasdaq_guy

Apr 7, 2005, 4:57 PM
I use it continuously, 200MB of data per month. I am using an ericsson T68i, via bluetooth to my laptop. I use it domestically (US) and I have also used it in Germany and Poland. I have no data plan and have never been charged for data. The advantage to the unlimited plan is that more of your data will go through the t-mobile firewalls. It seems that they block all but the most basic of ports on the free service. Creative utilization of VPN software on the laptop allows me to do almost everything. I have one complaint, it seems that Google is blocked some how by t-mobile. I have to remember to use YAHOO, or some other search engine. This "free" data usage is the only reason that I am on t-mobile.
S0oSeductive69

Apr 8, 2005, 4:00 PM
ALL I WNT 2 KNO IS CAN ANYONE TELL ME IS FIRST OF ALL IS THE MOTOROLA V180 PHONE N E GOOD AT ALL? MY SECOND QUESTION IS DOES N E 1 IN HERE HAS HAD THE CELLULAR ONE EVO PREPAID PLAN IF SO I JUST WANT 2 KNO IS THE PLAN N E GOOD? 😉
bizkitsngravy

Apr 13, 2005, 6:33 PM
S0oSeductive69 said:
ALL I WNT 2 KNO IS CAN ANYONE TELL ME IS FIRST OF ALL IS THE MOTOROLA V180 PHONE N E GOOD AT ALL? MY SECOND QUESTION IS DOES N E 1 IN HERE HAS HAD THE CELLULAR ONE EVO PREPAID PLAN IF SO I JUST WANT 2 KNO IS THE PLAN N E GOOD? 😉

The V180 is a piece of garbage, and has actually been discontinued. The v188 shuold be released within a month (for T-Mobile)...I don't know what cingular is doing with their V-180, or any other gsm provider that offers it. What service do you use, what are you looking for in a phone?
saddie44509

Feb 13, 2006, 7:53 PM
i think its the best prepayed phone plan i have ever been on everyone is helpfull and ready to ansewer ur questions.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.