Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 86 replies

What doesn't activation cover?

captainplooky

Feb 20, 2006, 5:12 PM
I took a moment to hash through the other thread and have found there is not one aspect of the Wireless Industry that the Activation charge fails to cover.

Are you all taught to name of as many things as you can regarding the charge until you pacify a customer?

I never would have imagined that the activation charge was for rent, power, water, training, service, computer fees, monitoring and tracking, number charges, phone charges, packaging charges, and what other else it is you want to claim at the moment.

AND YOU PEOPLE ACTUALLY WONDER WHY CONSUMERS MISTRUST THE WIRELESS INDUSTRY
Laughable.

Nikoletta
I answer every single one of his countless questions about the phone, I clarified what the rate plans are,
(continues)
KrazyJoe

Feb 20, 2006, 5:30 PM
The bottom line of it is this. The fee is there. We may not know for sure what EXACTLY it covers, but we know it exists. And more and more the cellular companies are cracking down the the waiving of this fee.

In the past I've been able to wait activation fee's without a second thought. I can't do it today even if I really wanted to.

Not to quote myself, but I feel this bears repeating.

KrazyJoe said:
Think about it like this. VZW has over 30 million customers. If they didn't charge those customers an activation fee that'd be 1 billion dollars in money they'd never see.

I don't care how big a company is, a BILLION dollars is a lot of money to lose out on to convenience a customer.
captainplooky

Feb 20, 2006, 5:34 PM

The fee is there. We may not know for sure what EXACTLY it covers, but we know it exists.

Holy cow man! Put down the Koo-aid.

Thank goodness you weren't alive in colonial days.
KrazyJoe

Feb 20, 2006, 5:37 PM
I'm sorry, I'm don't quite follow what you're getting at here.
alejandro

Feb 20, 2006, 5:38 PM
He is saying you are a corporate whore.
KrazyJoe

Feb 20, 2006, 5:46 PM
Oh, is that what that was?

Hmm...

It's a crying shame that I don't actually give a damn about the company as a whole. The only thing I care about is myself and my store. And the only reason my caring extends to my store is because I run this store, I am the manager.

There was no corporate whoring to what I just said, merely a stating of facts. The fact is that the fee is there. If he doesn't like the fee, well that's just too f*cking back for him. Millions of other people accept it and pay it. It serves a purpose and has been doing so for quite a while.

If I'm a corporate whore because I'm willing to accept a fee that covers costs incurred in the setting up of the luxury services I wish to have, then I guess so. But to comp...
(continues)
captainplooky

Feb 20, 2006, 5:48 PM

The fee is there, it serves a purpose, deal with it.
captainplooky

Feb 20, 2006, 5:49 PM

The fee is there, it serves a purpose, deal with it.

We just explain or justify it, so just pay it to make it easier on yourself.

Enjoy maintaining the status quo.
captainplooky

Feb 20, 2006, 5:50 PM
We just can't explain or justify it, so just pay it to make it easier on yourself.

Ps. Browser wigged out on me there
texaswireless

Feb 21, 2006, 4:25 AM
You wigged out on yourself ages ago.
CptFarlow

Feb 20, 2006, 5:38 PM
There is absolutely nothing we can do in this forum, so why are you making a big deal about it? Nobody gets a phone and says, "Wait, only one fee? Can't you just throw a few more on there...I love to pay fees."

If you yourself don't like the fee, then call and see if you can have it waived. I did it, other people can as well. I tell my returning customers that if they are kind and respectful to a CSR, there is a good chance they can have that pesky upgrade fee waived.

And what is up with Kool-Aid? 😕
captainplooky

Feb 20, 2006, 5:45 PM

If you yourself don't like the fee, then call and see if you can have it waived. I did it, other people can as well.

I did and did.

I simply wanted to illustrate to others here the amount of conflicting and useless information that consumers receive regarding the fee and the attitude of the representatives who gleefully apply it without thinking.
Cigee

Feb 20, 2006, 5:47 PM
You sir are a tool.
captainplooky

Feb 20, 2006, 5:55 PM
Why is that Carrie?

I could make some smart comment about the state you are from or your Myspace "angle" shots or some other offhand comments, but I am truly curious how you came to the conclusion you did.

Of course, this quote from your blog is priceless and is too good to resist.

Carrie
So tonight I was desperate for some internet action

Mua hah ah ha ha ha ha ha 🤣 🤣 🤣
CptFarlow

Feb 20, 2006, 6:15 PM
Plooky, you are the one that likes to beat yourself into a froth while getting off by arguing about another random, pointless subject that you so convienently pull out of your ass everytime we think it is going to be quiet for a while.

As far as pulling her myspace profile into this, that was low. Who cares about her pictures or her blog? Stick to the topic...oh and...you are a tool. 🤣
captainplooky

Feb 20, 2006, 6:23 PM
No worries, I stopped basing my esteem on the appraisals of others long ago. I find they rarely meet my standards anyway.
texaswireless

Feb 21, 2006, 4:28 AM
I simply wanted to illustrate to others here the amount of conflicting and useless information that consumers receive regarding the fee and the attitude of the representatives who gleefully apply it without thinking.
And your ignorance continues.

I know you have been told this yet you ignore it because it doesn't serve your purpose. Selective memory it could be called.

The fee isn't selected. It is added automatically by the system. Again, you've been told that many times.

Find that hooker yet? The envelope is ready to go.
CptFarlow

Feb 20, 2006, 5:33 PM
I work for Sprint, and I know for a fact that it costs between $700-$800 to sign up a new customer. I don't know the full dynamics of where each dollar goes, but I know it includes my commission, the dealer's commission, setup fees, phone costs, etc. $36 is not that bad when you consider Sprint doesn't turn a profit until a customer is about to end their first two years, hence the contract.

Activation fees piss me off, but I deal with it. Now when it comes to an ESN swap or upgrading my phone, that really irks me. I hate to have to explain to a customer that in order to get a new phone they have to pay a fee...when they are signing on for another two years. Even simply switching my phone to one that my buddy gave me would result in a fee....
(continues)
alejandro

Feb 20, 2006, 5:36 PM
I do not know who gave you that number ammount, but it is wholy misleading and probably factors in stuff like unpaid bills.
CptFarlow

Feb 20, 2006, 5:40 PM
Truthfully, came from our store's Sprint representative. That is what I was taught in training...is that wrong?
alejandro

Feb 20, 2006, 5:56 PM
wrong...? no, misleading...? yes. Factoring in stuff that has as an end result has nothing to do with an account, factoring in "losses" when a customer does not pay its bill, and even then those are all written off. In actuality, the activation fees, like ESN change fees, are just another way to recoup costs (but more importantly make money), for whatever reason, their level of justification are all questionable but plooky is still wrong because he is plooky.
captainplooky

Feb 20, 2006, 6:04 PM

but plooky is still wrong because he is plooky.

🤣

There we have it! Mi amigo por siempre esta correcto.
CptFarlow

Feb 20, 2006, 6:06 PM
I see. Thank you. I learned something today. 🙂

And yes, he is wrong. 🤣
alejandro

Feb 20, 2006, 6:16 PM
although cell phone companies pay out large ammounts of commission and residsuals to agents that is actually lest costly when compared to their own costs by comparison.
CptFarlow

Feb 20, 2006, 6:22 PM
I know that my company makes about $150-$200 for the new activation. Then a measly $5-$10 to me. 🙄
alejandro

some companies also pay out monthly residuals as well.
screenamesuck

Feb 20, 2006, 6:06 PM
Why are you so worried about a few extra dollars for the activation fee? There are so many other things that you can be arguing about. I personally think that the activation fee is stupid, but i'm not going to go on and on about it. People get paid an hourly/salary wage to fix problems and the companies that pay them make plenty of money off of their customers without the activation fee to pay for these services.
captainplooky

Feb 20, 2006, 6:08 PM

Why are you so worried about a few extra dollars for the activation fee?

Why should I be concerned if I lose a few pennies everyday to any company?

Simply because of math. A few dollars multiplied by the number of times it happens turns out to be a whole lot more then a few extra dollars.
CptFarlow

Feb 20, 2006, 6:18 PM
But you aren't losing a few pennies a day. You pay the one-time activation fee, then your monthly charge. Granted this does add up when it is millions of customers, but to the single consumer, they know what they are paying and sign for it, therefore agreeing to it.
captainplooky

Granted this does add up when it is millions of customers

Which is exactly why it is done. It has become a source of revenue generation, not a method of cutting costs.
alejandro

Feb 20, 2006, 6:26 PM
do you get your $3 in fees waived per month?
brentgodwin

Feb 20, 2006, 6:39 PM
Do the math...

$50 per month (average rate)
50 million customers...
12 months a year...what is that total...

then take out the 4 billion in network maintenance fees (VZW is just an example here)...what is left...

Let me know...
alejandro

Feb 20, 2006, 7:01 PM
2.5 billion?
alejandro

Feb 20, 2006, 7:03 PM
oh, yearly... their 4th quarter earnings state 6.5 billion in revenue... I don't know where to go from there.
alejandro

Feb 20, 2006, 7:06 PM
7.3, my bad, 6.5 was last year
alejandro

Feb 20, 2006, 7:08 PM
actually, i have no idea, i'm getting bad info from the internet, it a freaking ton of money though.
brentgodwin

Feb 20, 2006, 7:09 PM
That 7.3 after the network maintenance or before?
alejandro

Feb 20, 2006, 7:10 PM
they say revenue, so its before, but still 3.3 billion in one quarter is a ton of money if 4 billion is the cost per quarter.
brentgodwin

Feb 20, 2006, 7:17 PM
3.3 billion without the labor, inventory, leases for all their building and cell site property, taxes (federal, state, local)..take that into the equation..

165 million would be 5% profit..which is not a lot of money to a very large corp like VZW. That would barely cover one months payroll in my estimation...

The fees are there for a reason..Yea they can waive a few of them for some people but not all of them...They wouldn't be in business very long...
alejandro

Feb 20, 2006, 7:21 PM
http://investor.verizon.com/financial/quarterly/VZ/4 ... »

60.3 billion per year, after 15 billion in operating costs.
alejandro

Feb 20, 2006, 7:23 PM
damnit, thats all of verizon, hold on.
alejandro

Feb 20, 2006, 7:27 PM
I cant find it, but money is being made hand over fist, cell phone employees really do need to stop acting like it's not.
brentgodwin

Feb 20, 2006, 7:41 PM
I agree with you...Would be nice if we got to see more of it though..LOL...

You would have to see exactly what the P&L looks like for each company to determine where the money goes...There obviously is going to be a lot of money (in our terms) left to do whatever with. 1 billion to a company like VZW is a drop in the bucket...they can spend that in a month on network upgrades (wish they would here)...
alejandro

Feb 20, 2006, 8:12 PM
like their customers if their investors knew how much their net profit was they would demand more.
texaswireless

Feb 21, 2006, 4:50 AM
It's on the first page of your link. 7.4 Billion in profits for ALL of Verizon for 2005.

Based on the risk, the expenditures, the investments for the future, that is nothing. Yes they make money, but not much per customer.

51.3 million wireless
5.1 million broadband
48.8 million landline customers
18.3 million long distance customers
5.5 million wholesale landline connections

So, per point of contact with customer they are making $57 per year. Or look at it this way, for roughly every $100 they charge you, they are making only $10.

Yeah, they are just raking people over the coals.
brentgodwin

Feb 20, 2006, 6:59 PM
Bottom line is this..

There are fees attached to almost everything that is purchased these days.

There has to be something within these companies P%L's that caused them the need to charge those fees.

Yea maybe you can get them waived or you can't. The company obviously is not going to miss your $35 dollars, plooky. But if every new one calls in and begs to get it waived then somewhere, somehow, the customer is going to end up paying it somehow. Whether it be in an upgrade fee, ESN change fee (which, IMO, is stupid), adminisitrative fees, etc..They will get it...

Close this damn thing...We have beaten it to death...
texaswireless

Feb 21, 2006, 4:33 AM
That made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Please explain to us, using your vast knowledge, where those two factors in the case of activation fees are ANY different? You made them different, now explain yourself.
cingcing

Feb 20, 2006, 8:08 PM
Cell phone company's are NOT no-profit organizations. This is a capitalist country.

What is the old adage?
"Why does the phone company charge so much?"
"Because they can."

Every time a customer calls in to customer care and talks to a rep it costs the company up wards of $60. Activation fees do not even begin to cover that. Not to mention how much money we lose giving phones away. Then they have to pay me, the rent, light bill. That doesn't sound like much, but when you multiply that buy thousands of employee's and hundreds of stores it adds up.
Merchandising, advertising and signage is not cheap either. Churn and phantom churn also cost the company alot of money.
Then there is network development. Worthless HR departments,(so...
(continues)
alejandro

Feb 20, 2006, 8:16 PM
there is no such thing as a necessary evil in any aspect of life.... I myself do not agree with activation fees, but not as much as say ESN change fees, or the entire taxes and fees section of the bill, I don't even know why i have a cell phone myself, its a worthless piece of technology, but still cheaper than a home phone. I'm not renewing my contract and when something cheaper comes out to make it obsolete (like pagers) i will check out my options then, but i would definately have no problem getting rid of it, and unlike the unwashed masses i have to deal with every-day, i will not be checking out "the competition" because they're all the same.
alejandro

Feb 20, 2006, 8:20 PM
Too many of us take what a "rep" says the cost is but that is just half-truths told to you to get you to sell better with a clean conscience, I wonder what the actual cost is, agent and corporate, because they are totally different costs. There should be a thread devoted to things reps tell us but then we find out they're full of sh*t
captainplooky

Feb 20, 2006, 8:35 PM

Every time a customer calls in to customer care and talks to a rep it costs the company up wards of $60.

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Man, that makes me laugh almost as hard as scientology.
alejandro

Feb 20, 2006, 8:39 PM
our rep was trying to tell us that a long time ago, she did not like that we were putting the customer service number at the bottom of the contracts, which is odd because it appears on their bill every month.
Whitehorse

Feb 21, 2006, 12:28 AM
Tom Cruise & John Travolta will be after you for that... 😛
coffeecoffeecoffee

Feb 20, 2006, 8:48 PM
I think you find some type of sick enjoyment in posting this crap! This argument can go on and on and no one is going to be right and it will never be fixed.
If you oppose activation fees as much as you say you do, why don't you write to your local congressman or protest to the bigwigs who make these rules?
Why do you have to complain to those of us who are out here trying to do our jobs honestly and efficiently? We don't make the rules, we just enforce them.
You ,sir, are an arrogant a@$hole and are probably the jerk who activate three lines with us a few months back and whined about having to pay your activation fees and lied to all four of us reps who work in this store about what Cell One told you.
If you don't like the cellula...
(continues)
alejandro

Feb 20, 2006, 8:49 PM
because if voting changed anything it would be illegal. But plooky cannot stop because he thirsts on negative emotions... like that slime from ghostbusters 2.
captainplooky

Feb 20, 2006, 8:52 PM

like that slime from ghostbusters 2.

Yes but you have the wrong slime, I thirst for positive emotions and Aretha Franklin songs.
alejandro

Feb 20, 2006, 8:57 PM
Your assertions are counter to your actions.
Whitehorse

Feb 21, 2006, 12:30 AM
You actually watched Ghostbusters 2??? 😲 😉
captainplooky

Feb 20, 2006, 8:53 PM

Why do you have to complain to those of us who are out here trying to do our jobs honestly and efficiently? We don't make the rules, we just enforce them.

Do you read what people write here?
alejandro

Feb 20, 2006, 8:58 PM
Don't break out the ctrl + V. I can't take another plooky re-paste job.
coffeecoffeecoffee

Feb 20, 2006, 9:07 PM
Yes I read what is written here.

You talk like us sales reps are out to take advantage of every single customer we come into contact with by charging them an activation fee. For you I would charge a double activation fee!!

Bitch!
captainplooky

Feb 20, 2006, 9:10 PM

You talk like us sales reps are out to take advantage of every single customer we come into contact with by charging them an activation fee. For you I would charge a double activation fee!!

Bitch!

Thank you for illustrating my point exactly.

Just imagine what you are willing to do to your actual customers.
cingcing

Feb 21, 2006, 1:08 PM
captainplooky said:
Do you read what people write here?

Yes, that's why we are here. Only an idiot would even think to ask such a question.
lefteyeiu2006

Feb 20, 2006, 9:07 PM
I think it is so funny how people react to postings like this. It is just an opinion, not like he set his words in stone and put them on the front lawn of a courthouse...sheesh!

T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular, and Sprint both rock and suck. End of argument.

Now where's my blueberry muffin?
Whitehorse

Feb 21, 2006, 12:32 AM
Pretty good points, however I prefer banana nut muffins.
silentscream

Feb 21, 2006, 12:36 AM
I agree. This has gone on way to long. Bottom line isn't going to change, and the fine print won't get any bigger. I don't remember who said it, but if you look a few posts up, it was mentioned that they wished they could give free activation. Me too. But what can we do? Discounts on equipment. And you know how well that works? Amazingly well. I have had a guy activate 10 individual accounts for a business, all of which I gave him free phones for. He understands activation, but he didn't bitch me out for it. After the first 5 yesterday, he called my on my personal cell phone to tell me he needed 5 more. Why? Because I gave him damn good service. I do my job. That's all we can do. Don't bitch about the things that we have no control over. And...
(continues)
Cunning_Linguist

Feb 23, 2006, 8:02 PM
My last note on the point of activation is: I could care less. I could care less if we have it or not. I don't care how it affects my customer, I care if it affects my commission. And since it doesn't affect it i could just not care less.

Sorry, I'm a salesman, I make money by people giving it to me, for what they want. Im going to try and get as much of it as I can and take it home to my family, because in the end, to hell with everyone else so long as me and mine eat well and have nice things.
alejandro

Feb 23, 2006, 8:11 PM
damnit, dont bring up old conversations like this!
captainplooky

Feb 23, 2006, 8:18 PM

I don't care how it affects my customer...

Sorry, I'm a salesman, I make money by people giving it to me, for what they want. Im going to try and get as much of it as I can and take it home to my family, because in the end, to hell with everyone else so long as me and mine eat well and have nice things.

Which is precisely why I advocate avoiding salesman and doing your own research.
cingcing

Feb 23, 2006, 8:30 PM
captainplooky said:

I don't care how it affects my customer...

Which is precisely why I advocate avoiding salesman and doing your own research.

Trust me, salespeople don't want to talk to you either. Someone who comes in to my store and tries to talk over me about phones and service makes me want to help them less and less. Everytime a customer comes in thinking they know what they are talking about, it take...
(continues)
captainplooky

Feb 23, 2006, 8:49 PM
So you complain about uninformed customers and also about informed customers, that makes alot of sense.

People can be misinformed, but after reading this site, it can't be worse then most representatives themselves already.
cingcing

Feb 23, 2006, 9:15 PM
captainplooky said:
People can be misinformed, but after reading this site, it can't be worse then most representatives themselves already.

😕 Are you saying that I am mis-informed? Or un-informed?

From an employee point of view, I have never felt more like a mushroom. They try to keep me as un-informed about everything as they can. This makes sense because that forces sales reps to sell what they have.

P.S. Why do you like "reading this site"?
lefteyeiu2006

Feb 25, 2006, 7:44 PM
I want a banana nut muffin, with a big tall glass of milk!!!!

MMMMMMM!!!
Whitehorse

Feb 21, 2006, 12:35 AM
(with grammar corrected)

"The reason for an activation fee is so that the company can recoup some of the cost of acquiring a new customer."

Simply brilliant!!! 😉
colione112

Feb 21, 2006, 10:52 AM
Your making a big deal about an activation fee?? You probably want a free phone too huh?

The activation fee is to offset the cost of activating that customer, and yes, it does cover alot of stuff..

The average cost of activating a customer is 475.00. Yes that includes store cost, equipment cost, training, upkeep of the network, as well as many other things listed.

If your complaining about paying a one time activation fee, maybe you don't need a cell phone. I rarely say that to anyone, but in your case I'll make an exception.
dca

Feb 21, 2006, 11:21 AM
This is speculation and not endorsed by any wireless carrier and should probably be ignored:

This is the way it was explained to me about seven years ago when I got hit with this question (at least 5x a day), I would have to charge the fee (as an indirect) but corp stores can promo it (waive) out. Most of the 'fees' are all dumped into the 'cost recovery' portion of a companies P&L statement. This would include: activation fee, upgrade fee, ETF, & etc. If I was a wireless carrier, I'd say take it where you can get it. The nice thing about fees if any government organization deems it unnec or illegal (FTC, FCC, DO-whatever) they can't go into litigation for getting monies back to certain parties (probably Plooky) who instigated it. ...
(continues)
cingcing

Feb 21, 2006, 1:00 PM
captainplooky said:
I never would have imagined that the activation charge was for rent, power, water, training, service, computer fees, monitoring and tracking, number charges, phone charges, packaging charges, and what other else it is you want to claim at the moment.

No way, you didn't look at it from every angle before you posted this dribble?
captainplooky

Feb 21, 2006, 3:52 PM
🤣

Silly dumbass.
cingcing

Feb 21, 2006, 4:20 PM
captainplooky said:
🤣

Silly dumbass.

Great comeback!
screenamesuck

Feb 21, 2006, 2:05 PM
If people don't agree with the activation fee then don't get the service. It's not like it's a secret fee that they take from you every month that your unaware of. You know this from the very start, so if you don't like it then don't get it.
cingcing

Feb 21, 2006, 2:38 PM
captainplooky said:
I took a moment to hash through the other thread and have found there is not one aspect of the Wireless Industry that the Activation charge fails to cover.

You took a "moment"? Lol you study this forum like there is going to be a test. 😛
captainplooky

Feb 21, 2006, 3:52 PM
🤣

Once again I am flattered.

Let me reiterate again - just because something I have done may take you a tremendous amount of time and resources does not indicate that it took me the same amount of time or resources.

You took a "moment"? Lol you study this forum like there is going to be a test.

Thanks for the compliment on my reading skills.
cingcing

Feb 21, 2006, 4:22 PM
captainplooky said:
:Let me reiterate again - just because something I have done may take you a tremendous amount of time and resources does not indicate that it took me the same amount of time or resources.

Right 🤣
soldmysoul4cellular

Feb 24, 2006, 10:55 AM
THEY WANT TO MAKE MONEY!!!!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ GET OVER YOURSELF
kapwww

Feb 24, 2006, 1:37 PM
Plooky...do you go to websites from every other industry and start the same fights with them? Why not fight the government about taxing us so much? They tax income, your cell phone, gas for your car, anything else you can imagine. Do you fight credit card companies for charging interest? Do you fight with banks over charging interest on loans? How about closing costs when you buy a house? Title fees for buying a car? Fees for getting plates on the same car? Basically, every industry you can imagine has some type of fee. Bend over and lube up because you're gonna have to take it in one form or another...

Go ahead and start spewing your normal garbage. It'll be fun watching your foot being shoved into your mouth, while, at the sam...
(continues)
djdelay

Feb 24, 2006, 1:54 PM
give it a rest y'all........plooky is like a daemon or something.....he feeds off of anger and despair.....if you let it get to ya, then he becomes more powerful.......ignore him and he has no power......

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.