Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 34 replies

I just need a simple phone.... Do you have any of those Blueberries?

Menno

May 5, 2009, 12:19 PM
🙄

So this BoGo on Blackberries has brought a lot of people to my store, but a good chunk of the customers are coming in with their Razr/8300. They go on and on about how they just need a phone to make and receive calls, they don't need "no internet or that texting stuff." But they are deadset on getting a blackberry, at least until you inform them that the data plan isn't optional.

It's an internet machine... barring that it has a full qwerty keyboard on an advanced touch screen.. you don't even know how to program speed dials on your RAZR..

Customers are funny.
wizardofCroz

May 5, 2009, 12:24 PM
mmhhhmm, what you mean i gotta sign two contracts to get buy one get one free??

What you mean the term "free" means free after rebate? Can't I just walk into a store and pay fiddy dollas for the phone and you hand me another phone free? Yalls must be crazyyy
SkinnyPuppy

May 5, 2009, 1:31 PM
Yall wants how much? 400$ bones?! shiat!!! We'z getin cricKet come on shantal **** deez
Burger Time

May 6, 2009, 12:18 PM
SkinnyPuppy said:
Yall wants how much? 400$ bones?! shiat!!! We'z getin cricKet come on shantal **** deez

Um, um, kan i gitz me a fone wit no contract and um, um, no deposit. Yeah, mah credit be sheeit, but um, i will pay mah, beels, i promise. i want me one of dem blackberries, yeah, but no internets cuz i kaint afford no extra fees on mah beel.
CAS8586

May 6, 2009, 9:09 PM
gosh dam rednecks...they stank
SkinnyPuppy

May 5, 2009, 1:13 PM
Two things: First of all the data plan is only required on VZW. Other carriers offer it as a promotion for a few months to get a discounted rates on the phone, but the point is: it's only required on VZW.

Secondly, the touch screen BB you are referring to is utter garbage. Anyone who actually uses it for anything other than accepting a phone call... and even that is cumbersome, will have to deal with incredible lag.
WHITE_BOB76

May 5, 2009, 1:25 PM
BRAH!YA F34R THOSE BLUEBERRIRIES BRAH HAHA WHAT GARBAGE BRAH
Menno

May 5, 2009, 1:52 PM
1: I am a verizon wireless agent. It says Verizon wireless really big in front of my store. I don't give two shakes of a dog's leg what other companies do with their blackberries. if they want a blackberry from my store, they need a data package. I'm aware that ATT Tmobile, etc don't require it on their blackberries.

but I am not an ATT or a Tmobile store. There is no Tmobile retailer for 50 miles from here, and they are not running the same BoGo deal we are. More importantly they don't have the STORM. Honestly, I'm a verizon store selling ONLY verizon phone. Data is required on Verizon blackberries (complain as much as you want, that is company policy) So if a customer does not want a data package, but they want to be on the...
(continues)
Burger Time

May 6, 2009, 12:21 PM
Menno said:
1: I am a verizon wireless agent. It says Verizon wireless really big in front of my store. I don't give two shakes of a dog's leg what other companies do with their blackberries. if they want a blackberry from my store, they need a data package. I'm aware that ATT Tmobile, etc don't require it on their blackberries.

but I am not an ATT or a Tmobile store. There is no Tmobile retailer for 50 miles from here, and they are not running the same BoGo deal we are. More importantly they don't have the STORM. Honestly, I'm a verizon store selling ONLY verizon phone. Data is required on Verizon blackberries (complain as much as you want, that is company policy) So if a customer does not want a data pac
(continues)
wizardofCroz

May 7, 2009, 11:50 AM
The only phone that ATT requires a data plan on is the iPhone. You can use a blackberry without a data plan, you just can't access the internet or send picture messages.
SkinnyPuppy

May 7, 2009, 3:54 PM
wizardofCroz said:
The only phone that ATT requires a data plan on is the iPhone. You can use a blackberry without a data plan, you just can't access the internet or send picture messages.

Yes you can. Pay per use.
DaCoach

May 8, 2009, 6:58 AM
Croz is right. Unless something has changed, there is no PPU for bberry...
CAS8586

May 6, 2009, 9:11 PM
that was the worse sales speal i ever heard...just look at them and tell them no!
Menno

May 6, 2009, 9:50 PM
it wasn't a sales speal?
SkinnyPuppy

May 7, 2009, 3:54 PM
epic fail
WHITE_BOB76

May 7, 2009, 4:20 PM
BRAH EPIC WIN
computerking

May 5, 2009, 2:20 PM
the point is: it's only required on VZW.

US Cellular also requires a data package on all premium internet devices or smartphones.
SkinnyPuppy

May 5, 2009, 2:31 PM
Good to know thanx.
Burger Time

May 6, 2009, 12:14 PM
SkinnyPuppy said:
Two things: First of all the data plan is only required on VZW. Other carriers offer it as a promotion for a few months to get a discounted rates on the phone, but the point is: it's only required on VZW.

Secondly, the touch screen BB you are referring to is utter garbage. Anyone who actually uses it for anything other than accepting a phone call... and even that is cumbersome, will have to deal with incredible lag.

AT&T also requires a data plan on all smartphones, especially Blackberries, because they have a contract with Blackberry to sell the Blackberry Personal Data Plans.
Sigma1570

May 6, 2009, 6:27 PM
wrong. the only phone required to have a data plan on at&t is the iphone.
Burger Time

May 6, 2009, 8:02 PM
Sigma1570 said:
wrong. the only phone required to have a data plan on at&t is the iphone.

Actually YOU are wrong. Customers must purchase the Blackberry personal date plan with their Blackberry Phone. The cheapest one is 30 bucks for just unlimited web and email, no texting.
DaCoach

May 8, 2009, 7:01 AM
Customers only have to subscribe to the BBerry personal plan if they want to receive the rebate associated with the phone upon upgrade or activation. No berry plan, no rebate...

In other words, Sigma wins.
Sigma1570

May 6, 2009, 6:28 PM
I agree. I was watching someone with a storm at the bar last night. It was as if their life was in slow motion. The delay of the phone and how careful they had to click and swipe. Touchscreens can suck my #$%@
cellphoneslinger

May 6, 2009, 7:48 AM
So you say VZW is the only carrier that requires data on a black berry, but I was at Alltel a couple days ago the rep told me I had to have a data plan with any smartphone. Does anybody have any info to dispute this. My wife and I want the phones but do not need the data.

TIA
wizardofCroz

May 6, 2009, 8:45 AM
1. Verizon bought Alltel. It's funny because the Alltel commercials used to show a parody of the VZW "can you hear me now" guy, after they bought them out, you don't see him anymore.

2. You don't need a PDA if you aren't going to use the internet. The main reason why carriers can sell these high-end phones is because a data plan is required to cover the cost of the phone.

3. This forum is mainly for people who work in the cell phone industry. It doesn't bother me, but you'll likely get a bunch of smart@$$ comments coming your way. Just a heads up. Might wanna try the Verizon or Alltel forums, but watch out for the dumbfounded customers who demand everything for free.
cellphoneslinger

May 6, 2009, 9:15 AM
To statement 1. this has been a policy since before the merger according to the sales rep.

2. I need the pda functions I do not need internet. I have access to internet all day. I need the detailed contact info and to be able to have access to excel and word documents without carrying a laptop.

3. the comments wont bother me
Menno

May 6, 2009, 9:35 AM
They very well could have that policy. Skinnypuppy likes spouting off about things before 1) reading the thread and 2) Understanding the relevant company policies, so it is best to not take his rantings as truth. I've never been in a market where alltel has been, so I am not as familiar with their data policies. I'll leave that up to others to verify.

But if the guy in the store won't let you activate a blackberry without a data plan, chances are good you wont be able to. If it is a retailer, his company might have a seperate policy even if alltel doesn't require the package.

How will you get the documents on your phone without the data plan? are you going to hook your computer up to your phone every time you want to update a f...
(continues)
cellphoneslinger

May 6, 2009, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the info without the sarcasm. The documents are phone lists, medical info, and perscrip drug info form my daughter and a couple of other things that do not change often.
Dr. Gonzo

May 6, 2009, 9:15 AM
Try working for Nazis like T-Mobile 🙄
Burger Time

May 6, 2009, 12:20 PM
cellphoneslinger said:
So you say VZW is the only carrier that requires data on a black berry, but I was at Alltel a couple days ago the rep told me I had to have a data plan with any smartphone. Does anybody have any info to dispute this. My wife and I want the phones but do not need the data.

TIA

All carriers require you to have a data plan if you purchase a smartphone.

It's just business, nothing personal. Think about it. What's the point of getting a high end phone that can you can surf the web and email from, yet not get a data package? That's like shopping for a car and asking them to disable the engine so you don't have to pay extra in gas and maintenance.
cellphoneslinger

May 6, 2009, 1:22 PM
That's the conflicting info that keeps coming up about required data plans.
The point of getting a smart phone with out the data plan is I can surf the web on most any phone but it does not have the functionality that i want.
The engine comment is not the same thing, you buy a car to drive. I have a pda that I can put files on or take my laptop with me. I would like to have my phone and pda in one device.
Menno

May 6, 2009, 1:47 PM
you cannot surf the net without a data plan without incurring significant charges. This is why it is required on Smartphones for verizon and the like.

So if you want to surf the net, you want a data plan.
Cellinovation

May 7, 2009, 7:17 PM
not to mention the functionality to surf the web on a normal phone, is nothing compared to a smart device of any kind!
PhonemanJ

May 7, 2009, 3:09 PM
I work for an indirect agent of ATT and this is the policy that we have. If a person does not want the data package, that is fine (it doesn't make us happy, because we make zilch on the phone, but we will sell it to you). However, when you take the data package out, we discount the phone $20 right up front and you forfeit the
PhonemanJ

May 7, 2009, 3:12 PM
Sorry, hit wrong button, was looking for spell check. But ATT will also not give you the $100 rebate for the equipment. The rebate form specifically states that the phone requires a $30 or higher PDA or Blackberry service to qualify for it. Thus the customer is leaving a total of $120 on the table if no data is signed up. The same goes for all of ATT's smartphones.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.