Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 20 replies

Price Gouging forget Oil, its the Phones!

Crapbag

Jan 23, 2007, 9:06 PM
So does any one else think its rediculous what cell phone manufacturers are charging for phones? I was thinking about other electronic devices like my nintendo ds ($129.99) which toutes Wifi, multiple screens, a touchscreen, and bluetooth for a fration of the cost of a cell phone. Yet moto can build a phone that just calls for $40. That would make my Ds with phone capabilities $169.99 at manufacturer cost. Instead we see pdas and mp3 players at rediculous costs.
lavrnius maximus

Jan 23, 2007, 9:58 PM
hell yeah thats the scam overcharge full retail-make you sign two year contract-finance overcharged phone-unhappy with service? screw off pay the etf cuz you can't afford a phone at full retail. F in bitches
spidermon

Jan 24, 2007, 2:39 PM
Needs you to buy the DS for very cheap because they make there money off games you retards. 😎
GTO_chick

Jan 24, 2007, 3:11 PM
🤣 🤣 👀 🤣 🤣
Crapbag

Jan 24, 2007, 6:38 PM
Good point for a bad analogy. I don't see how that constitues me being retarded.
spidermon

Jan 24, 2007, 8:30 PM
Thats because you are retarded, a retard never knows he is retarded. He simply guesses he may be, judging by the collar, leash, and helmet he always has to wear. 😎
Sp3c1al Ed

Jan 25, 2007, 5:51 PM
Yey! I got mail! Yey!
sweetsoprano

Jan 24, 2007, 8:28 AM
You can't call anyone on your DS, or text, or take pictures, or download or play MP3s. Those features cost money. People always want the newest and latest and most advanced, but don't want to PAY for those features. And considering that the phones are DEEPLY discounted with service, I don't think the manufacturers are out of line at all.
captainplooky

Jan 24, 2007, 2:57 PM
Calling something a "feature" is just trying to mystify it.

It's a bit of cheap hardware and simple code. Nothing more.
krickt

Jan 24, 2007, 2:59 PM
Okay, then you go buy the hardware, and enter the code. If it's so easy and cheap.
captainplooky

Jan 24, 2007, 3:01 PM
I don't think you understand.

To me, a millions dollars is a lot of money.

To the government, a million dollars is a lot of money.

Do you understand how that applies to my statements?

Using my above example as a guide, the components and software in these devices are simple hardware and code, that has been around for years thanks to computers.

Especially the "features".
captainplooky

Jan 24, 2007, 3:02 PM
bah, for the government, it's not* a lot of money
krickt

Jan 24, 2007, 3:07 PM
So basically, it's not a lot of money, unless it comes out of your pocket. So you understand that we are at the mercy of those who will spend the money to sell us what we need for what ever we will pay for it? That's the point. If people stop buying the "featurefull" phones because of price, the price will come down. Until then, we are just moaning and groaning. Doesn't do anything but make noise.
captainplooky

Jan 24, 2007, 3:45 PM
What a wonderful grasp of analogies and the manufacturing process you have. 🤣
Crapbag

Jan 24, 2007, 6:44 PM
sweetsoprano said:
And considering that the phones are DEEPLY discounted with service, I don't think the manufacturers are out of line at all.

Keep in mind i sell phones i'm only a consumer when i'm off the clock. These deep discounts come out of my paycheck.

sweetsoprano said:
You can't call anyone on your DS, or text, or take pictures, or download or play MP3s

A near megapixel camera with software and batteries at target runs less than $20 bucks. I'm sure half of this cost is the rechargeable batteries. Mp3 players are cheap as well, not to mention phones have very little on board memory ,meaning you have to buy expansions, making its ability to play as simple...
(continues)
CptWireless

Jan 24, 2007, 8:56 PM
To put it in a nicer way... Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft loose a lot of money on their systems. I believe I read early last fall that Sony isn't going to see any profit from the PS3s until 2009. Game companies make their money off of video game sales.
sparxx92562

Jan 24, 2007, 9:04 PM
interesting
lefteyeiu2006

Jan 24, 2007, 10:44 PM
Price gouging is fun. It makes people want to buy more products for more money. It also makes people fart. Farting is bad for the environment. It burns holes through the ozone layer. The ozone layer protects the earth from terrorist attacks. Terrorist attacks can be prevented if we fall down and worship the demon named George Bush. Bushes and shrubs help create oxygen. Oxygen helps us breathe. Don't breathe too hard, because someone who bought price-gouged phones probably farted near you.
sparxx92562

Jan 24, 2007, 10:47 PM
are u like 10 yrs old
lefteyeiu2006

Jan 24, 2007, 10:54 PM
sparxx92562 said:
are u like 10 yrs old

10 years old. wow, that's how old AT&T Wireless was when it got bought by Cingular Wireless. Did you know that Cingular Wireless is a cell phone carrier? I used to carry water on my head. That was before I moved to the boonies, where I dine with the looneys. Airplanes scare me, but not as much as Donald Trump's hair. Would you like a peanut?
MetroTet

Jan 26, 2007, 8:53 AM
Because i got in a nice little conversation with my dept manager when i was working for moto, i was a QA auditor at there facility in ft worth texas, long story short, moto employees pay cost for the phones, i;e what it cost to make the phone... with for the razr, in 05 when it was so hawt, was alittle over 40 bucks.... yet when you go buy it from a service provider you still pay 300+... it's sad...

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.