Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 27 replies

lying for sales

chainsaw

Jan 15, 2007, 7:54 PM
Do you fellow reps ever listen to someone at your store blatantly lie to a customer to get a sale like saying..."Mam I understand you want to buy online, but did you know the phones from our website have no warranty on them?" I know it is petty but it seems like these are the types of things we have to say to put food on our families plates!
Tampa_VZW_Jim

Jan 15, 2007, 7:57 PM
Why do you have to lie? If someone mentions buying from a website to me, I'll tell them something like "well you could go and buy from "website x" but when you have a problem where are you going to go? Who's going to answer your question? If you buy from me, I'll still be here after the sale to help you learn your new phone." I might even waive an activation fee if that's what it takes...
chainsaw

Jan 15, 2007, 8:02 PM
Well, thats assuming that everyone can waive activation fees. We use the schpeil too that we are great at customer service but people can't justify spending $100 more in the store most of the time.
Tampa_VZW_Jim

Jan 15, 2007, 8:08 PM
I'll only pull out the waived act fee thing if I need to. Usually the idea of going it alone when purchasing online is enough to convince them to purchase with me. Especially when you give the impression of they won't be able to get help after the sale. Which, of course isn't the case, because I'll help anyone.

I've helped people with other services before! Just because I know eventually they'll be out of contract and eventually they'll look for me again...
Whats my name

Jan 15, 2007, 8:02 PM
๐Ÿ˜ณ I hate when fellow reps listen to my sales pitch makes me feel nervous and self concious....
Tampa_VZW_Jim

Jan 15, 2007, 8:04 PM
I wouldn't interrupt another salesperson (didn't mean to give that impression) I would correct them after the sale however...
Whats my name

Jan 15, 2007, 8:05 PM
no no just the fact of having an audience makes me nervous lol
Tampa_VZW_Jim

Jan 15, 2007, 8:08 PM
Me too! I hate, and I mean HATE role playing for that reason!!
WTF

Jan 15, 2007, 8:28 PM
role playin is what i did when i went to camp in the fourth grade to get to know everyone...i never take them serious...some vzw corp big wigs was havin alot of trouble with me doin them for them on their power visit (we are indirect so they are in no way my boss so i ALWAYS give them hell, like in the roleplay i pushed sprint and discredited verizon jus for the hell of it) i hate it when they try to bring it to an adult world
Tampa_VZW_Jim

Jan 15, 2007, 8:29 PM
Role playing has no point because there is no sales rep who uses their real pitch during the role play.
Whats my name

Jan 15, 2007, 8:31 PM
Mine is diffrent with every customer.... its never the same but they work to my surprise
if customer is miserable be pleasently miserable

if customer is excited be mildly excited....
Tampa_VZW_Jim

Jan 15, 2007, 8:33 PM
Right, you have to adapt to the customer.
craptacularwireless

Jan 15, 2007, 7:59 PM
I would tell the customer that the employee is full of it.
ralph_on_me

Jan 15, 2007, 8:01 PM
I don't allow that in my store.

What I do allow them to say is that if they buy it online and don't like it they'll have to return it online as well. They can also say that the website offers phones which are discontinued in the store, and that if anything goes wrong with the set-up as far as plans or features they're liable for the charges because they're setting it up on their own instead of letting us do it properly.
Tampa_VZW_Jim

Jan 15, 2007, 8:03 PM
ralph_on_me said:
They can also say that the website offers phones which are discontinued in the store, and that if anything goes wrong with the set-up as far as plans or features they're liable for the charges because they're setting it up on their own instead of letting us do it properly.

That's a good one!
ralph_on_me

Jan 15, 2007, 8:04 PM
and completely true. I've seen people do rate plan changes online and end up losing all the features they had on the account, and about 80% of the online "free" phones are models which are discontinued.
chainsaw

Jan 15, 2007, 8:05 PM
I usually say that, every now and then we run into customers who buy all their phones online and have been going to stores and receiving customer service, so when I tell them they have no one to go to if they buy it online they just laugh.
sparxx92562

Jan 15, 2007, 8:06 PM
I tell em you cant get a bundle package online and you'l have to wait for the phone. Seem's to work for me.
ralph_on_me

Jan 15, 2007, 8:07 PM
They can take it to whomever they want to, but they can't take it to my store.
dreamerr1123

Jan 15, 2007, 9:35 PM
๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿคจ
I just charge them for all services that they request if they didn't get the phone here. I am not going to chase away profit because i am annoyed that the customer decided to buy elsewhere. No matter where they bought the phone, (ie: online, Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart, Radio Shack) on average, the cost of the use of the phone during the contract is going to be the same. If they think they are of superior intelligence for saving $30 - $50 elsewhere, fine! Pay me $150 during those 2 years to service the phone... ๐Ÿ˜‰
chainsaw

Jan 15, 2007, 8:13 PM
You know what I can't stand. I have had customers coming in telling me that consumer reports tells people to come into the stores to get all the information on plans and phones and to purchase everything online! I was really pissed when the customer said that.
craptacularwireless

Jan 15, 2007, 8:19 PM
The publishers of CR should be shot.
Tampa_VZW_Jim

Jan 15, 2007, 8:19 PM
That irks me too, but I let them know that Consumer Reports doesn't know who I am and how much I do for my customers. Then I'll go into a lecture about how the internet is killing the consumer experience and we're all becoming antisocial because we don't need to leave the house for anything anymore, except to get questions answered about cell phone service...
sweetsoprano

Jan 16, 2007, 9:30 AM
I work in telesales, and I'm upfront about everything. It isn't worth my conscience to lie to get (insert whatever mgmt feels like passing off as a commission). If they insist on going into a store, online, or with another carrier, I just lay out the reasons why we're better and leave it up to the customer to decide. Usually works well for me.
kapwww

Jan 16, 2007, 9:43 AM
When you lie, it will come back on you. Unfortunately, it tends to work out that other people lie and it comes back on ME. I'd rather spend an extra few minutes overcoming objections to make the sale honestly than to spend the time later getting screamed at by a pissed off customer.
phatbasstard

Jan 16, 2007, 10:34 AM
if i hear an employee lie to a customer or giveing the wrong info i jump right in because 9 times out of 10 i am the 1 who has to deal with the fire after when the customer comes back pissed off
biznass

Jan 16, 2007, 12:28 PM
Yeah there is a rep here who always gets **** wrong. Like 'wait 15 days before doing the referral program'. I'm like 'actually, you have to do it within 15 days or it won't work...'

She's just dumb though, not shady.
kapwww

Jan 16, 2007, 1:01 PM
I've got a dumb one here too. I once heard her tell a customer that a basic non-camera VZW phone was EVDO and VCAST music and video capable. I was on my way out the door, so I just left. The next time I worked with her, I asked her about it and she responded with "I thought every VZW phone was EVDO VCAST, just like they used to be digital or trimode." ๐Ÿ˜ณ

I'm not a manager, but our store doesn't have one on site. We just have a regional manager who travels. I tried, as politely as I could, to explain to her what those terms meant. She still didn't get it. We even have all of the features listed on display cards with the phones (including tri-mode, all digital, VCAST, etc).

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.