Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 11 replies

Customer Longevity...

MistaBlue1914

Jan 11, 2007, 12:19 AM
Ok here is the question that I have, why do cell phone customers feel like since they have paid their bills on time that it warrants a deal on a new phone, when they are not eligible for an upgrade or just broke their phone and don't want to pay for a new one.

Does the electric company give out free light bulbs, or free months of service for long time customers, no.

Does the cable company give discounts on TVs or let you get the new HD digital converter for half off, no.

Does the car manufacturer give you a major deal on your next car because you have driven their brand for the last 10 years, no.

I work in customer service and have done so for the last 5 years, and that is one thing that I cant seem to understand. can anyone s...
(continues)
jrtool

Jan 11, 2007, 1:35 AM
Give me and Free are the most common words that i hear ALL day long. 👿
MrAbstracto

Jan 11, 2007, 3:37 PM
You're lucky if you hear 'Give me'
I hear 'Gimmie'.
sweetsoprano

Jan 11, 2007, 10:36 AM
Yeah I can shed some light...people don't want to pay for anything. They want everything free. It's the microwave society we live in. 🙄 They seem to think we owe them something. And for long-term customers who pay ON TIME and don't give us a whole lot of trouble, I agree. But just because you got mad at somebody and threw your phone against the wall and it broke, or you dropped it in the toilet and didn't purchase the insurance when it was offered to you, or you've had it a whole three months and now want the next new hot thing, does NOT obligate the company to cater to your ever-changing whims. And, just to make the customer realize how stupid they're being, I frequently use some variation on the analogies you've listed.
krickt

Jan 11, 2007, 11:39 AM
Actually, Ford sends me discounts (on top of my X plan) about a year before my last car is paid off.
But I feel your pain. The problem with Cell Service, is that we sell the service, and the phones at the same time, so the customer feels that we should be able to deal with everything that has to do with both by waving our magic wands and chanting secret spells.
PhoneHero

Jan 11, 2007, 11:42 AM
i tell customers:

C: I've been with cingular for 4 years! i deserve a free phone!

Me: I know! i've shopped at Publix for 9 years and they still won't give me free bread!

C: *glare*
krickt

Jan 11, 2007, 1:57 PM
I so wish I could say that out loud! I did say to a customer, "I bought 4 cars from Ford in the last 17 years, and never missed a payment, or anything, I wonder what kind of deal they'll make me on a new car...hmmm." Customer burst out laughing, he was a sales man from the dealership down the road. He renewed 3 lines, and added two more, laughing the whole time.
pimpdaddy008

Jan 11, 2007, 11:45 AM
i think it has to do with the past of this industry and people are used to free free free and its going to take time before people realize this, that these companies dont work the way they used to any more. There is no reson for them to give out free things or make excemtions for people when they are locked into a plan. It used to be easy to get things for free or done earlier then they are supposed to. Times are a changing in this industry.
monkeyracer

Jan 11, 2007, 2:36 PM
check out this thread:

http://www2.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff= ... »

i think this all stems from the banking industry.

I used to work for a credit union, and the longer the customer has had the account, and the less they've had fees reversed means the more the supervisors are willing to reverse fees.

Customers assume that they are paying more than just their bill when they pay, and when they want something free, they think we owe it to them out of some kind of escrow that they have been paying.

I've actually used the analogies in the thread link above, my favorite is the:

But I've been with the company for xx years!
[[How long have you been shopping at (insert grocery store or gas station) for? I'm sur...
(continues)
Hayate

Jan 11, 2007, 2:55 PM
I think the lesson here is that customers are idiots and have no ability to use rational thinking or logic to form their opinions. People always think that they're special for spending more money or going to a particular store frequently.
monkeyracer

Jan 11, 2007, 3:38 PM
I totally agree, but if there are so many of us complaining about our bad customers, then how are there so many bad customers?
This is what is sad, most of the people who come into our store would not like to be treated the way they treat us. I would love to go to some of our customers' businesses and totally freak out for something I did wrong.

Apparantly the golden rule doesn't apply to cell phone companies.
craptacularwireless

Jan 11, 2007, 3:39 PM
Of course not. We're evil and only exist to rip them off.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.