Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 8 replies

Why do Customers......?

TIERRA226

Dec 22, 2006, 10:50 AM
Always want discounts on their phones but don't want to renew their contracts? But are the same people that has been with Company A for 1000 years? If you've been a loyal customer, why is signing the contract a bg thing?

Sidebar: Yesterday a woman came in wanting to upgrade. Because we are 3pty we can't do the new every two, 100 credit towards a new phone. So I gave her the location of a corporate store. For upgrades we give a $50 mail in. She wanted to know if she would be getting the $100 credit and the $50 mail in. I told her no. The phone is wanted was an V325i which is $99.99. Why would they give her the phone for free AND $50? She couldn't understand why not. Finally I told her it would be overkill. She left shaking her head. Got t...
(continues)
kapwww

Dec 22, 2006, 11:50 AM
It's all about the syntax. Corporate folks tend to say "you have a $100 credit on your account toward a phone" when the truth is, you get a phone valued up to $100 free or free after mail-in rebate on the primary line OR you can take $100 off the price of a higher end phone.

The problem I see too often is people think they just simply have $100 to play with because of the way the corporate rep worded it. They want to use it to take down their account balance, buy accessories, or use it toward multiple phones.

I'm an agent and don't have NE2 either. On something like a 325i, I can sell it for $50 with a rebate for $50 and not lose any money. I don't make as much, but I don't lose any and I don't lose the sale. It's still "free ...
(continues)
TIERRA226

Dec 22, 2006, 12:00 PM
All our phones include free accessories so people will say I'm going to the Verizon store and come back the next day. 🤣
kapwww

Dec 22, 2006, 2:56 PM
Screw that. If you're throwing everything in, they should suck it up and take the deal. I charge for everything. People pay...for the most part. I try to make them feel like they're getting a deal. I enjoy making money. Why not? We're a business, right? On top of that, we don't charge any more than what corporate charges and we can save customers a 45 min. drive. The two things they can dangle over my head are NE2 and authorized service.
craptacularwireless

Dec 22, 2006, 4:56 PM
To be fair, the accessories that are given away are really cheap ones. I used to work for the same company as she does, and I hated the accessories we'd give them. They'd always come back telling us that something was wrong with them. We'd replace them for free, but it was a hassle for them and us.
socallocal

Dec 22, 2006, 7:32 PM
By chance was that a job that "advocated wireless?" Just curious.
craptacularwireless

Dec 22, 2006, 7:34 PM
Wireless Advocates, yes.
Pr0phet

Dec 22, 2006, 12:23 PM
Everyone wants everything for free. The sense of entitlement people have just because they've paid their bill on time (like they were supposed to) is unbelievable. I don't move on anything, unless I still make a good amount of money on a sale.

I've actually done a free phone with a 50 dollar mail-in rebate on it, and let the customer make money. But, that's usually on a high plan with multiple lines where we still make a large profit.

I had a customer call in and cancel her upgrade because of the 18 dollar fee the carrier imposes. I gave her a free phone, car charger, case, no shipping cost. People are greedy and most of the time, dumb. Which is why I keep lobotomy tools under my desk...
SuperSerge76

Dec 22, 2006, 12:42 PM
My experience shows that the customer tries to be smarter than the consultant. Free to them means Gimme Gimme. Free to me means "Well, first you gotta sign here renewing the contract than we activate your free phone, and just pay the taxes."

We do offer free phones, but I only use them as a way for the customer to close themselves. Because they want the Lg VX8500, they expect it to be the free phone, so I show them our free discontinued model with no camera ( 😈 ), and they automatically close themselves on that higher ended phone. Besides, when they hear that magical word "rebate", they just can't stop eating out of my hand.

So see? not all customers NEED the free phone because they paid their bills on time. They want the free...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.