Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 30 replies

Am I wrong for it?

destruit

Dec 13, 2006, 3:47 PM
Ok, I just want to get some opinions on this. Yesterday I had one of the crazier customers I have ever experienced.

M= ME C= psycho customer

m= Hello, welcome to (insert provider here), what brought you in today?

c= I need a charger for my phone.

m= ๐Ÿ™‚ Ok, great, I can help you with that.

We get the chargers, sit down, ring everything out.

m= That will be $54.67 Will that be cash, check, or credit?

C= I don't have any money.

m= ๐Ÿคจ Ok....um, is there anything else I can help you with then?

c= I need you to give me a charger, because my phone is dead, and I don't have any money, and I need to take this phone call so I can get to the Western Union and get some money because I don't have any. (She started crying,...
(continues)
cilvzwagent

Dec 13, 2006, 3:51 PM
If it was THAT bad? I prolly would have dug up a old used charger from my loaner equipment bin just to get her out the door.

And $54.67????????? That's ONE expensive charger! ๐Ÿ˜ณ
destruit

Dec 13, 2006, 3:53 PM
Well it was actually two chargers. We are pretty pricy, but I don't think it's enough to kill yourself over. As for used chargers, we aren't allowed to keep them, so I really had no options and couldn't help her. I tried to be as nice as I could, but she just lost it, and when people start crying, it really irritates me.
cilvzwagent

Dec 13, 2006, 3:55 PM
Yeah........The other thing would have been to offer for her to use your store phone to make the quick phone call she needed to make.....but it probably wouldn't have helped considering the phone number was disconnected ๐Ÿ™„
T-MoTucson

Dec 13, 2006, 4:01 PM
wrong for it. Where do these people come from anyway. Outside of the store I work in, I have only been in a cell phone store twice. Both times to activate service.

If any of you customers are reading this and you live in Tucson, please do not come to my store unless you are buying something!!! You can pay your bill online, over the phone, or through the mail. If you have a question about your bill, call customer service. Last time I checked, my title is Retail Sales Representative not customer service, not general question answerer, or anything else!

P.S.--if you do buy something, don't bother me with the details of your life. I don't care why you want it, only that you buy it!
destruit

Dec 13, 2006, 4:29 PM
amen!
Ima_Elf

Dec 13, 2006, 5:50 PM
That was the best thing I have ever read on here... besides Rich and Eric's reviews. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Paintballislife

Dec 13, 2006, 6:00 PM
DUDE! literally 1/4 of my sales are people coming in, just for a question/bill pay/ customer service etc. Granted i dont wanna hear about their life story, but if it gets me money? then its worth it, and the bitching later.

Often when you show that you do care, and you lsiten, you can make moeny, because they bleiev in you and feel that you arn't another one of "those cell phone guys"

If you are representing said company, then you need to buck up and realise it is part of the job. I enjoy making peoples lives easier and knowing that there is one more person with a positive outlook on my company. Knowing that they might come back to give me more money.
T-MoTucson

Dec 13, 2006, 6:05 PM
Please get a life. Have you read the posts on this website? If we wanted cheery-a$$ people like you to respond, we wouldn't be posting on this site.

Can I get an AMEN?

P.S.--Post on here again when you have worked for your company longer than 1 month.
Paintballislife

Dec 13, 2006, 6:22 PM
going on 6 months, ask smorris, im right behind him in sales. Wasnt trying to be a cheery @$$, simply putting every person that come sin your store wiht a tech issue or bill pay dont throw them out or give them some BS. Trust me I've had my days where i want the mo-fer to get a life and get the h3ll out of my store. But from reading these forums for a while, everyone wants money right?

Granted the customer the first poster's customer was a handful and i probally would have done the same thing. But in general, you dont want to throw money away when 5 mins of your time....
captainplooky

Dec 13, 2006, 6:24 PM
๐Ÿคฃ

and I thought I sounded like an ass sometimes.
captainplooky

Dec 13, 2006, 6:17 PM

If any of you customers are reading this and you live in Tucson, please do not come to my store unless you are buying something!!!

๐Ÿคฃ

Do you realize that human resources would most likely consider that a statement of sentiment that their department tries to screen out from employees?

I've heard this example countless times as an example of the type of employee you do not want to hire.

Regardless, I look forward to the days, when and if ever, you need a mortgage.
T-MoTucson

Dec 13, 2006, 6:24 PM
I'm not quite sure what you mean by need a mortgage. Do you mean when I have a mortgage payment? Are you saying that I can miss a rent paymet but not a mortgage payment?

FYI--I do have a mortgage payment. Actually I have a car payment and 2 children with a 3rd one on the way and we are doing just fine. Just thought you'd want to know.
Paintballislife

Dec 13, 2006, 6:30 PM
Oh gawd you've already spawned??!!
Sales

Dec 13, 2006, 3:54 PM
Yeah but are chargers are almost as exspensive here...and you're right I would of gave her one out of my loaner phone supply
sweetsoprano

Dec 13, 2006, 4:02 PM
I don't think you're wrong...I mean, what could you do? You're a salesman, not a psychiatrist, which was what this lady evidently needed more than a charger...I mean, who threatens to kill themselves because they can't afford a charger and their phone is dead? Shoulda charged it up the night before like normal people do... ๐Ÿ™„
captainplooky

Dec 13, 2006, 6:11 PM
Helping people doesn't require credentials all the time.

I mean, who threatens to kill themselves because they can't afford a charger and their phone is dead?

It was not solely about charging the phone.
romeowhiskey

Dec 13, 2006, 4:13 PM
Your not wrong at all. you are there to sell products, not to give therapy. If she would have persisted on killing herself, you could have directed her to the nearest fire axe, main roadway, local gunshop ect to help her cause.
captainplooky

Dec 13, 2006, 6:19 PM
Yes, because taking a few minutes out of your day to help someone by simply talking to them is too much to ask.

Where is your empathy?
Cell_Queen

Dec 14, 2006, 4:43 AM
I agree plooky......I always get connected to the guy who no one likes to be connected to because he doesn't make much sense...he talks around in circles...asks the same questions...but i'm never rude to him...I sit and just listen to him and its a good time to catch up on work while he talks...only if we do not have calls in que though....I do joke though like "ohhh god i got him again" but this is because he will call in 4 times a night and i always get connected to him...

I think being in this business you will get a lot of that you should just deal with it...take 5 - 10 mins out of your day to talk to that 1 customer that wants to talk about their life style......its like pay it forward...
destruit

Dec 14, 2006, 9:23 AM
I have no empathy...that was the point. ๐Ÿ‘ฟ
SatansQueen

Dec 13, 2006, 4:58 PM
Yeah, you are wrong, you are SOOOOO goin' to hell ๐Ÿคฃ

Anyway, we get those sob stories from people calling in too. More like, "my phone is off and I need to call *blah blah blah*" and they are crying. Or if their web on their Nokia pm6225 doesn't work RIGHT now, they can't conduct their million dollar business deal ๐Ÿ˜ณ

I even had a guy one time say he worked for NASA and needed his cell phone to work so he could call and check on the status of the space shuttle launch (The day after it had taken off, umm, right ๐Ÿคจ )
romeowhiskey

Dec 13, 2006, 5:25 PM
Gotta hate alzhymer's
biznass

Dec 13, 2006, 5:44 PM
Same thing.
Psyix987

Dec 13, 2006, 5:49 PM
I would have laughed a little.
captainplooky

Dec 13, 2006, 6:10 PM

She was obviously loony, but the point at which she starts threatning suicide, I stopped caring. If your life stinks so bad that you are going to kill yourself over a car charger, you probably don't deserve to be breathing. That might sound hateful, but how is any of that my fault? Moreover, why do you think that I would care?

Surely you do not believe that it is simply because of the car charger. Almost certainly, there are other reasons that this person is factoring into their reasoning.

As for not caring, I'm conflicted.

I for one am concerned with the growing trend of people lacking empathy. Without empathy, our society is going to be in real trouble.

On the other hand, I don't know what I would...
(continues)
longsleeves

Dec 13, 2006, 6:12 PM
I'd just point and laugh, then I'd feel guilty later when I'm watching ABC about the suicide jumper and it was her but then I'd tell all my friends but then they would make me feel bad so I would get drunk.
destruit

Dec 14, 2006, 10:03 AM
I wouldn't feel bad at all. The lady is obviously crazy, and I doubt like hell that me caring would fix her at all. She's obviously a nut job, and the only thing that is going to fix her is some Lithium. You can question my lack of empathy and compassion all you want; therapist isn't listed anywhere in my job description. Someone mentioned that we are here to make money, and I completely agree. I'm not going to make any money off the crazy lady, she already told me she didn't have any, so why should I waste any additional time with her? The mental health clinic is down the street, not at the wireless store!
sweetsoprano

Dec 14, 2006, 11:03 AM
destruit said:
She's obviously a nut job, and the only thing that is going to fix her is some Lithium.

๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ EXACTLY!!
idratherhangmyself

Dec 13, 2006, 6:19 PM
I would have just laughed lol ๐Ÿคฃ
securityman

Dec 18, 2006, 12:00 PM
everything was done correctly but the one thing you missed is that you are supposed to supply the customer with satisfaction. even if that means that you have to call the white jackets to come and pick her up. at least it is showing the customer that you do care about her safety and life. i person who cares makes all the difference. speaking from the other side of the line (security),i have managed to save lives of college kids aswell as adults and also children. remember if you save them they might come back and thank you and get phones through you. i know that a few of my saves have now got phone service through me. it feels good to have someone say thanks for your help through the holidays.the difference between you and other peopl...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.