Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 10 replies

Which Cingular phones can be used as laptop modems?

sweetsoprano

Dec 5, 2006, 2:02 PM
Just got a laptop (dell, used) and want to use my phone as a modem for it for purposes of internet svc...I have Cingular and this will be a deciding factor in the phone I'm about to purchase. Advice, plz...thanx... 🙂
wu10304

Dec 5, 2006, 2:17 PM
don't suggest using phone as modem because it will be very slow and its very irritating. i suggest a wireless card but as far as that goes i would suggest sprint or verizon. check out this website when making decision.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/11/wirele ... »
Crapbag

Dec 5, 2006, 2:34 PM
One caution on getting a data card for your dell is that dell has a specific pcmcia card developed for their devices. You can get an adapter that would allow you to use a supplied cingular or vzw card however it would sit externally. If you were shopping services for a data card keep in mind cingulars unlimited data would be 59.99 because you have service with us. Unless you were to switch your entire account other services would run you 79.99. My mother uses VZWs data connect card and doesn't have issues with the service. Her complaint was having to get a phone service before they would allow her to get a data card service.
CptWireless

Dec 5, 2006, 2:45 PM
Sprint, as well, is $59.99/month with a two year subscription. It's $79.99 with one year.

No phone service required.
Crapbag

Dec 5, 2006, 3:24 PM
Not Bad!
wu10304

Dec 5, 2006, 2:48 PM
my dell has the correct slot but he's right some of them don't but both verizon and sprint are developing one that plugs into to usb port so you wouldn't need the adapter. i'm not sure if cingular is making one.
Crapbag

Dec 5, 2006, 3:26 PM
I have no idea about cingular as well, but dell offers a variety on their site that will work with either gsm or cdma service depending which you purchase. They are a little pricey as they don't have rebates or service discounts.
sweetsoprano

Dec 5, 2006, 2:52 PM
Thanks all...I think I'll look into getting a wi-fi card
Crapbag

Dec 5, 2006, 2:31 PM
A UMTS/HSDPA phone would be your best bet. If you looking for a lower cost alternative to a data card or pocketpc look to the CU500.
ralph_on_me

Dec 6, 2006, 12:45 AM
i agree. I wouldn't do it with anything other than a UMTS/HSDPA phone.

You'll need a data connect plan for it too.
EnterTheWu78

Dec 6, 2006, 12:37 AM
I really hate dealing with this question from customers. Get a wireless card. 🙄

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.