Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 219 replies

My love for the Spanish language grows stronger

Hayate

Nov 9, 2006, 3:46 PM
Not really though. I just had someone return a phone and cancel service within the 30 days because they didn't understand what I was saying. They had a Pantech c300 which usually has excellent reception but theirs wasn't working. Instead of letting me exchange it for them and get them a working phone, they accepted a check refund minus a restocking fee, having to still pay their activation fee and over half of their first month's bill rather than just exchanging it and not wasting like $90. Learn English, you bastards!
raycarroll70

Nov 9, 2006, 3:52 PM
Viva siempre Los Hispanos! The United States is a melting pot of many cultures, languages and customers. The last time I checked, we do not have an offical language and before we say go back to your own country if you can't speak English", let's remember various American Indian tribes were here long before the English settlers arrived in Jamestown, VA.
mela774

Nov 9, 2006, 3:58 PM
Yeah, Spanish speaking populations are here to stay and if anything, they are probably only going to grow larger if our current census forecasts have any accuracy at all. In other words, if you think it's "bad" now, wait a few more years.

In more and more locales, the words "Fluent in Spanish" on a resume is going to be a major plus for jobseekers in the future.
frankiewawa

Nov 10, 2006, 11:21 AM
doesnt help that they pop out babies faster than jayz puts out cds...
jwinch04

Apr 9, 2008, 12:26 PM
face it, if i dont speak spanish, but the cust doesnt speak much english, it makes it hard to comunicate between the language barriers. same for the cust who calls in and gets the philipenes area, they get mad to, so just try to bear with it, and also thats why they got a spanish dept.
Hayate

Nov 9, 2006, 4:18 PM
I love how everyone seems to think that not having a legal national language means that no one should be able to complain about it and that there's nothing wrong with people not being able to speak English. Laws are not the only way to determine if things are good or bad or right or wrong. There are plenty of things that are illegal that are not morally wrong and don't directly affect other people (drugs, speeding, sex between two teenagers when one is 17 and one is 18, to name a few).

Anyhow, it doesn't make a single bit of difference it we have a legally enforced national language. The fact is this is a country whose citizens have always spoken primarily English. The fact that a bunch of random immigrants moved here doesn't mean the...
(continues)
krickt

Nov 9, 2006, 4:20 PM
I think you are just trying to see how long this thread gets before they cut it again.....
Hayate

Nov 9, 2006, 4:36 PM
That wasn't actually my goal here. I actually just had a customer that irritated me and I didn't even think about the fact that the last post was deleted. Either way, the guys that moderate these forums are kinda ridiculous when it comes to deleting posts for stupid crap. So yeah, this will probably get deleted, but whatever. It's fun while it lasts.
krickt

Nov 9, 2006, 4:38 PM
I have noticed a rash of rampant deleting. I didn't even think the last one was offensive, or anything. I was laughing because smorris' commentary to me was deleted in another thread, and I didn't even complain.
biznass

Nov 9, 2006, 4:24 PM
I feel the same way. I don't like people coming in here and expecting me top speak Spanish to them. I don't live in Spain or Mexico. If I did, I would speak Spanish. When I lived in Sweden, I spoke Swedish. It was crappy but I spoke it and Swedish people really appreciated it.
Hayate

Nov 9, 2006, 4:34 PM
Exactly. It's not just an English thing. It's a simple issue of common courtesy. If you move to a new country, you need to be able to communicate with people there in their native language. You can't expect the people there to start putting all of their signs in your language and start learning your language so you don't have to learn theirs.
southtexrep

Nov 9, 2006, 8:02 PM
Ustedes necesitan entender que si estan aqui en los Estados Unidos, aqui se habla mayormente Ingles. En su casa hablen espanol si quieren. En la calle se habla ingles. Entienden? 🤤
raycarroll70

Nov 9, 2006, 9:01 PM
En Florida y la parte que vivo en Georgia, la mayoridad es Espanol. LOL! En mi tienda, hablo ingles y Espanol depende en la persona que hablando.
southtexrep

Nov 9, 2006, 9:08 PM
Funny, yeah I know...some parts of TX out here are the same
biznass

Nov 9, 2006, 9:11 PM
I speak English in my house and always have but my friend's family was Spanish and they spoke Spanish at home. It was like going to Mexico visiting their house. I mean, I imagine that's what Mexico's like.

My friend works for the State of Kansas and has to visit low-income families for her job and she said 2/3rd's of her families don't speak English.
dominipino

Nov 10, 2006, 5:17 AM
long late night, just got home, and rembered seeing a thread posted by a douch bag by the name ov Hayate .... man this is a free country and you can say whatever you want but sooner or later your gonna be typing that racist crap on here and someone who gives a damn will walk by and either have you fired or better yeT beat the hell out of that Souless, disrepectful, UNAMERICAN S.O.B . Your the little jackass that got beat up all the time in school i bet or your daddy shoved shiny things up your rear and said "talk smack about things YOU can't do or don't understand."

Yes i agree they SHOULD learn english....however have you taken into consideration that maybe no ones tried to teach them english cause they're all judgemental bastards like ...
(continues)
wearyrep

Nov 10, 2006, 6:07 AM
I like your stlye...hayate is a jerk
Foamy

Nov 10, 2006, 10:27 AM
In order to apply for citizenship the government offers a class to learn english.

Most people won't bother because they're too stubborn or don't feel like they should have to do so.
PhoneyName

Nov 10, 2006, 12:40 PM
If I were to move to China, I wouldn't expect the Chinese people as a whole to offer to teach me the language. I would, as would most reasonable people, expect to have to seek out classes for myself.
Hayate

Nov 11, 2006, 12:05 PM
Yes, I'm SO unamerican because I think people should speak English. That makes no sense. It's a free country but that doesn't mean that no one should be expected to speak English when they are in an English-speaking country. And yeah, you're such a good American because if you don't agree with someone you want to beat the sh*t out of them. Good old violent American. Congratulations, you're an idiot.

And actually, there are classes to teach people English, and there are plenty of books out there for people to learn English from. These people don't make any sort of effort to make use of either option. It isn't some random person's responsibility to just start teaching them English. That's completely absurd.

And it isn't racist, y...
(continues)
ralph_on_me

Nov 11, 2006, 12:30 PM
Hayate said:
Seriously, how is it racist to say that people that live in a country should speak the language of that country?

Please stop using this as an argument. It is false that English is our national language.

It would certainly be easier for them to communicate with others if they spoke English, but there is no requirement for them to do so.
Hayate

Nov 11, 2006, 1:06 PM
Stop acting like a law saying it's our legal national language is the ONLY way to determine whether the country is an English-speaking country. I'm not saying it's illegal to not speak English, I'm saying it's the responsibility of any person moving from one country to the other to learn the language of that country. You can't argue the fact that this country is an English-speaking country, regardless of the law.
ralph_on_me

Nov 11, 2006, 1:19 PM
I can argue that this is not an English-speaking country, because you've already experienced that it's not. You run into non-English speakers every day. Knowing that, how can you say it is? When it's required for federal notifications to be printing bilingually, how can you still say that?

You attitude is extremely arrogant in this issue.
Hayate

Nov 11, 2006, 1:33 PM
I actually don't run into non-English speakers every day here. When I lived in Phoenix, in certain areas I did run into that. But that's one part of the country. When I lived in Massachussetts and New Hampshire for 15 years I didn't come across a single person who didn't speak English.

Just because you come across some people who don't speak English, it doesn't mean that the country can't be considered English-speaking. If you go to Japan, there are quite a few people there who speak English and can't speak Japanese but you wouldn't say that Japan isn't a Japanese-speaking country.

The fact is, this country was founded by English-speaking people and the vast majority through history have been English-speaking. Sure, we've had time...
(continues)
ralph_on_me

Nov 11, 2006, 1:47 PM
Hayate said:
If you go to Japan, there are quite a few people there who speak English and can't speak Japanese but you wouldn't say that Japan isn't a Japanese-speaking country.

You also couldn't call Japan an English-speaking country. I'm not versed in the laws of Japan, but they may very well have a national language.

This country was founded by religious refuges who spoke a different dialect of English. If you spoke to someone who founded this country, you wouldn't be able to understand them. Not because they use different words, but because vowels were pronounced differently. You'd probably blame them for that as well, when it's your fault because you're the one who's speaking a modified version...
(continues)
Hayate

Nov 11, 2006, 2:24 PM
I like how you just assume that I would blame them for having a different dialect. It's pretty cool. I have no problem with dialects or accents. There are plenty of accents and dialects for English and I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with people moving to an Egnlish-speaking country and not learning English, just like I would have a problem with a native English speaker moving to a country that speaks any other language and not learning that language.

I understand there are immigrants from other areas and not every single one learns English. However, I've yet to come across ANYONE aside from Spanish-speaking people that will actually get angry at you for not knowing their language. I don't see businesses posting t...
(continues)
ralph_on_me

Nov 11, 2006, 2:35 PM
So the problem here is that you believe that Spanish speaking people expect for you to know Spanish.

I have run into that situation only once, and I live in Texas. I said no I don't speak Spanish, and they asked why? That's not really a question you ask why to. Every other Spanish speaking person I've had in my store tries to communicate in English, even when it's hard, just like I try to communicate in Spanish even though it's hard. I also give them their documentation to read in Spanish and go over it with them.

Do you assume Hispanics want you to know Spanish because of the you've talked to or because of your attitude towards Hispanics?

Please, stop calling this country English-speaking. You know better but you're clinging t...
(continues)
Hayate

Nov 11, 2006, 3:17 PM
I don't have any particular attitude towards Hispanics as a whole. I don't assume Hispanics want me to learn their language, it's been made quite clear by the number of them that have been extremely upset and angry with myself or co-workers because we couldn't converse with them in Spanish.

And I will continue to call this an English-speaking country because it IS an English-speaking country.
tick

Apr 9, 2008, 11:54 AM
I wanted to revive this thread. I just got a call from a Spanish speaking customer. He kept repeating "You speak a-Spanish?" "Espanol" and I kept telling him "I don't speak Spanish, you need to call Customer Care" before he finally hung up. Why do people expect you to learn their language?! Wtf? 👿

When you go to another country, you're a foreigner, you are stepping into a world that operates differently. Learn those ways and adapt... don't expect the population to adapt to your language and customs.

These big companies need to re-think what they're doing. They should stick to offering services in English only or be fair and offer service in every language. I don't call T-Mobile expecting their reps to speak in Ukrainian to me ...
(continues)
mela774

Nov 11, 2006, 2:45 PM
Your comparison of Spanish-speaking groups to Korean and German and Japanese speaking populations brings up an interesting point, I think.

Koreans come from Korea, right? Germans come from Germany. Japanese come from Japan. So where do the Spanish-speaking people come from?

Most of them come from Mexico, which is our next-door neighbor. That alone will guarantee that there will be more Spanish-speaking people than, say, people who converse in a single Asian or European language.

These Spanish-speaking people also come from practically an entire continent, and not just Mexico. There are the Dominicans, the Hondurans. Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Argentina, Peru, Panama, Guatemala; the list goes on and on.

My point is, I really thi...
(continues)
lilfroggy

Apr 9, 2008, 2:05 PM
My boyfriend works for the state. They used to get to put truckers in jail for not speaking english, now they just fine them. This was a federal law. Makes you wonder.....
cheerios

Nov 11, 2006, 12:20 PM
Actually they just built a school here in my area that is teaching the spanish kids english and visa versa. I think it's a good idea to start that in elementary school and now that they are going to start trying to inforce the immigration laws, eventually most of the spanish generation will know english.
krickt

Nov 11, 2006, 12:26 PM
They were saying that in the 80s and we have more people now that don't do English than we did then. Until States and Feds make a law defining our national language, they are going to feel like we owe it to them to try to undersand them. I'm a little ticked that we aren't having this discussion about any other language.... I mean, we have had Germans (in some places more German speaking Americans than English speakers at one time), Italians (there are more Italians in USA than in Italy), Saudi Arabians, even Native Americans don't expect anyone to learn their language, and they were here before we were! I think what we are more upset with the mindset of those who expect us to conform with them, than we are at any one nationality or "race"...
(continues)
Hayate

Nov 11, 2006, 1:09 PM
Exactly. It has nothing whatsoever to do with race. It has to do with anyone that expects citizens of a country to accomodate THEM be learning THEIR language because they chose to move there. It goes for anyone moving from any country to any other country. It just so happens that we DON'T have that problem with Germans, Italians, Saudi Arabians, Native Americans, Chinese, Japanese, or anyone else other than the Spanish-speaking population.
alejandro

Nov 11, 2006, 8:12 PM
I completely agree, hayate is a douchebag, i stopped reading after that point though. i will read the rest of it later : )
Hayate

Nov 11, 2006, 8:14 PM
Of course you would agree @_@
alejandro

Nov 11, 2006, 8:15 PM
nihongo o hanashite kure yo
ralph_on_me

Nov 10, 2006, 10:51 AM
Or, if you want to keep the sale, learn Spanish. It sounds like you couldn't explain things fully to them, and since you're in sales that's your failing.
Hayate

Nov 11, 2006, 12:09 PM
That doesn't even make sense. If some person comes up to you and starts speaking Chinese, French, Japanese, German, etc, and you can't speak whatever language it is, does that mean you're a failure in sales? Are sales people required to know every language out there to be successful?

That is just the kind of attitude that makes it so easy for these people to live in this country and have no need to actually learn our language. It's not THEIR fault that they moved to a foreign country and can't speak their language. They moved to the US, so it's OUR responsibility to learn whatever language they speak so they don't have to do anything. Because yeah, if you moved to China, I'm sure all the Chinese people would suddenly learn English an...
(continues)
cheerios

Nov 11, 2006, 12:25 PM
How often do you see a chinese, french, japanese, or german speaking person? And how often do you see a spanish speaking person? I think learning spanish would be a good idea even if they spanish person knows english. Imagine how many sales you would get because you can speak to them in their primary language.
krickt

Nov 11, 2006, 12:29 PM
I refuse to learn Spanish. If I can't keep my business open with just English, then I guess I don't need to be open. I know ASL, but I didn't learn it to do business with deaf people, I learned it because it's a beautiful language. I know Latin, but mostly because I would never be embarrassed by my nasty accent or pronunciation with a native speaker.
cheerios

Nov 11, 2006, 12:35 PM
I'm sure your business will be just fine with just English. I'm just saying for myself I think it's a good idea. Not to push it and say that everybody should learn spanish because that's just unrealistic and yes it bothers me too when spanish people come in and I'm trying to help them but can't because I don't know their language. It pisses me off even more if they start out speaking english and then suddenly carry on a conversation in spanish. I just wish I knew spanish so I could reply to them and shock the hell out of them that I understood whatever they didn't want me to hear 🤣
krickt

Nov 11, 2006, 12:41 PM
From my latin class, I can get a gist of what they are saying, I have friends that are of Hispanic persuasion, and I have asked if it's rude of me to point out how rude it is to talk about someone right in front of you in a language you think they don't understand. They agree with me, it's not rude, and most of their friends would either stop the behaviour or leave my presence. I agreed that either one would work for me. BTW, one of my buddy's is a wonderful friend who barks at other hispanics when they are doing things like that.
Hayate

Nov 11, 2006, 1:22 PM
It's irritating, but I don't find it worth my time to learn Spanish to accomodate these few people I deal with. If you want to start a business on the border between the US and Mexico and know you'll have a lot of people travelling to the US from Mexico and visiting your store, by all means learn Spanish. But that's not to accomodate the lazy people that LIVE in the US, it's because you know you're in a tourist area that will accomodate a lot of travellers. It's the same reason many hotels in Tokyo have English-speaking employees - they know they will have a lot of Americans travelling through for business.
sangyup81

Nov 11, 2006, 2:00 PM
I have a Korean friend who is from South America and can speak English, Korean, and Spanish. I love how he can talk back in Spanish when someone is calling him a chink in Spanish. You should see the look of shock and embarassment on their faces.
Hayate

Nov 11, 2006, 1:20 PM
Actually, where I work I've seen more of all of the above than I have Spanish-speakers. Here's the difference:
Chinese: "I don't speak much English, so please speak slowly." They then proceed to try their hardest to converse with us in English.

French: "I don't speak much English, so please speak slowly." They then proceed to try their hardest to converse with us in English.

Japanese: "I don't speak much English, so please speak slowly." They then proceed to try their hardest to converse with us in English. I know a little Japanese so I can try to help out a bit but really not enough to discuss phones in a serious fashion.

German: "I don't speak much English, so please speak slowly." They then proceed to try their hardest to ...
(continues)
ralph_on_me

Nov 11, 2006, 12:37 PM
Sure it makes sense. If you want to sell something you have to be able to communicate. It's your job to do so. If you can't speak the language of the person you're trying to sell to, it means you can't do your job. If you know people are in your area who don't speak English, wouldn't it serve you to learn their language so you can make more? You certainly don't have to learn Spanish, but you're losing money by not doing so.

I believe it was your state that just passed a state law making English the official language? The reason they had to do this is because the US has no national language. Take a moment to think about this. Absorb it. Ask yourself, if we had a national language, why would a state need a redundant law? The ans...
(continues)
Hayate

Nov 11, 2006, 1:15 PM
Not once have I said it's the legal national language. Quite the opposite, I've said over and over that the legality of the situation has nothing to do with the argument. Laws are NOT the only way, or even a reasonable or accurate way, to assess what is right or wrong, appropriate or inappropriate. There are laws against all kinds of things that are harmless and there aren't laws against plenty of things that are. You telling me that there isn't a law stating that the national language is English is completely and utterly irrelevant to this conversation.

My job is to sell in an English-speaking country, and now a LEGALLY English-speaking state. To suggest that it is somehow may failing because I can't speak the language of every fore...
(continues)
ralph_on_me

Nov 11, 2006, 1:23 PM
The arguement is about if people should learn English. Me saying that there is no law requiring them to know English is extremely relevant.

You should be annoyed with yourself that you can't understand them moreso than with them, because you're just as guilty and equally as egocentric.
Hayate

Nov 11, 2006, 1:27 PM
Not really. The fact is they moved to an English-speaking country (people here speak English, it doesn't matter whether there's a law telling them to or not) and chose to not try to learn English. Instead, they expect everyone here to learn Spanish and conduct all business in Spanish to accomodate them.

I haven't done anything wrong, impolite, or inappropriate by not learning Spanish while living in an English-speaking country. They have, however, done something inappropriate by moving to another country without learning that country's language.
ralph_on_me

Nov 11, 2006, 1:33 PM
Once more, you're extremely egocentric.

I've already explained how this is not an English speaking country. People all over this country speak different languages.
sangyup81

Nov 11, 2006, 2:05 PM
But they're still expected to learn English. Doesn't matter where you come from, every immigrant family eventually becomes an English-speaking family.
ralph_on_me

Nov 11, 2006, 2:16 PM
I disagree.

They're expected to know enough English to get by, but in any region with high enough of a bilingual population in any language, you'll find both languages being used in signs and advertisements. Where Spanish is concerned, we have Spanish tv stations, radio stations, stores, and advertising. It would be very easy for a Spanish immigrant to move into this country to never learn English. Their offspring will likely learn English in school, but the parents probably will not.

In the town I just moved from it was more common to speak Korean than English, and there's nothing wrong with that either.
sangyup81

Nov 11, 2006, 2:42 PM
I never said the parents have to learn English but yes, eventually the family that was once a non-english speaking family becomes an english-speaking family once the older generations die off.

I'm a 3rd Generation Korean btw who only speaks enough Korean to order food at a Korean Restaurant =)
ralph_on_me

Nov 11, 2006, 3:24 PM
Over generations it's inevitable. I'm a third generation myself and I couldn't talk to my grandmother because she only spoke Spanish where I only spoke English.
Hayate

Nov 11, 2006, 3:45 PM
There's the difference though. If your grandparents came here only speaking Spanish but sent their kids to school and had them learn English. This is not a problem. The problem is when someone comes into this country, has a bunch of kids, and never has any of them learn English. I have no problem with a bit of a grace period, or with people who come here without knowing the language but go through the effort to LEARN the language. Based on that, I would also guess that your grandmother never went into a store and got angry at the sales person for not being able to speak Spanish.
ralph_on_me

Nov 11, 2006, 4:29 PM
If you send your children to public school in this country they're going to (arguably) learn English. I say that because public education is entirely a different topic.

My grandmother never went to a grocery store. She lived on a farm with my grandfather and her eight surviving children on the Laureles Ranch.
Hayate

Nov 11, 2006, 2:05 PM
It has nothing to do with being egocentric, arrogant, or anything of the sort. The fact is this country is a primarily English-speaking country. That is a FACT. You can't argue that. It's not debatable, it's not based on opinion.
ralph_on_me

Nov 11, 2006, 2:09 PM
It is fact that most of the people in this country speak English. It is also fact that no one is required to. That's not debatable, but you continue to ignore it by saying people have to learn the language of this country. It is fact that this country has no national language. You can't argue that. It's not debatable, it's not based on opinion.

It's also fact that you think you're better than these people who don't speak English, when in reality you're no better because you can't speak their language. That is the definition of egocentrism.
Hayate

Nov 11, 2006, 2:30 PM
I have NEVER said they HAVE to learn the language. I've never questioned the legal need to learn the language. I've simply said that people who move to another country SHOULD learn the language of that country. I've also never said I'm better than them. I've never said anything like that. I simply said that anyone, no matter who they are or where they're going, should learn the language of the country they're moving to. But you're doing a great job of ignoring what I'm saying and blatantly misrepresenting my position.
ralph_on_me

Nov 11, 2006, 3:23 PM
What you're saying is that people who come to the US should speak your language. You want them to speak your language because you're in the majority.

You haven't made any other valid points. Our country has no national language. You haven't proved otherwise because it's fact. You've shown that you're unwilling to change your mind or concede to what is true. Instead you cling to your opinion like an evangelist at a big tent revival.
Hayate

Nov 11, 2006, 3:40 PM
It isn't that I want them to speak MY language just because it's what I speak. I want them to speak the language that a vast majority of the people in this country speak. It's not an unreasonable view. I have agreed that there is no legally recognized national language, but that fact is that a majority of the people in this country speak English so it is an English-speaking country (and we're talking a VAST majority, not like 55% or something stupid).

You continue to cling to the fact that there isn't a law that says everyone is required to speak English as if this somehow removes all obligation and responsibility from anyone that doesn't speak English. Laws are NOT the only way to determine what's right or wrong and what should be do...
(continues)
ralph_on_me

Nov 11, 2006, 4:19 PM
If someone can function in society without speaking or knowing English then they certainly have no need to know it. The fact that people do just that means they obviously can function that way.

The reason I keep repeating that there is no law is because you keep demanding that English is the national language. No matter how many times I repeat it, you just don't listen.

Hayate said:
Laws are NOT the only way to determine what's right or wrong and what should be done and what shouldn't be done.

Are you now saying that it's wrong not to speak English as if it's morally objectionable?

My point was made in the first comment I made in this post. If you want to sell something to someone who speaks Sp...
(continues)
mrgoon

Nov 11, 2006, 11:42 AM
I had a lady come in one day spoke english fine said she wanted to activate a new line but with someone who spoke spanish. we werent busy so i said no problem that young lady over there can help you.
well next week when were slammed same lady comes up to me and says the girl who activated my line screwed it up and i need it fixed...very politely i said well unfortunatly i wasnt good enough to sell you something since i couldnt speak spanish so that young lady is also going to have to fix your problem as well if youd like to go wait in line.
i think i did the right thing
cheerios

Nov 11, 2006, 12:27 PM
Yeah I would agree with that.... you did the right thing. I wouldn't help somebody that had been rude to me in the past regardless of what it was they did. I just can't seem to be really nice to rude people. 🙂
mela774

Nov 11, 2006, 1:18 PM
Maybe she could speak English "fine" as you put it, but because she was about to activate a new line and was probably going to go under contract for it, she felt more comfortable speaking in her native tongue to make sure she fully understood the fine print, etc. I doubt it was anything against you personally, I'd wager money she was just trying to go about this in what she felt was the most sensible way to do so.
mrgoon

Nov 11, 2006, 2:13 PM
oh no i totally agree i didnt take it personal but even still then if she didnt want any confusion and prefered her native tongue for a sale/contract signing then it should carry over to resolving an issue as well
sangyup81

Nov 11, 2006, 2:08 PM
I don't get the Spanish speaking people.

I'm Korean and I know Korean people are more trusting of non-Korean speakers because they think the English speakers actually know what they are doing!!!!!
mela774

Nov 11, 2006, 1:45 PM
Pardon me but I'm about to state the obvious: the societal landscape in which we reside is an ever-shifting one.

These lingual changes are just about inevitable. You could pose all the questions and make all the statements you want about whether these changes are fair, or reasonable, or inconvenient, or whatever you can come up with. Will your doing so make a difference? Probably not.

So you can go right ahead and be pissed off about the fact that there are Spanish-speaking people everywhere and there's more of them everywhere with each progressing year. That is totally within your right. You can demand on the internet that they stop being "lazy" and start learning English; this too is perfectly within your right. Hey, everyone ...
(continues)
craptacularwireless

Nov 11, 2006, 1:53 PM
Very nice.
Hayate

Nov 11, 2006, 2:28 PM
A point well taken as far as the business aspect is concerned. It's true that it's all about money when it comes to deciding such things. That's the first customer I've lost because I didn't speak Spanish though, and honestly it wasn't even my sale to begin with. Me losing $20-25 every 6 months isn't worth me learning Spanish, which is also a business decision.

Still, business aside, the point still remains that it isn't right that the people in this country suddenly has to change and learn a new language just because there are a bunch of lazy immigrants that won't learn our language. I wouldn't think that was right in any country.
Celestial Halo

Nov 11, 2006, 2:48 PM
WOW! 😳 Why the hell should we learn Spanish, if I lived in Seattle or New York I wouldn't learn French just because some Canadians speak French. And if I go to Mexico I don't expect them to speak English, no I either travel with someone who can interpret, or ask politely in Spanish if they know of anyone who can help. If anything it is pure stubbornness and they really shouldn't be here if they don't want to accept our countries social structure and culture. There's nothing wrong with keeping your own culture and having pride in your nationality, but if you want to live and function in a society based in English language and culture, then you need to adjust, not the society. We wouldn't accept or allow someone to eat a dog or a cat here, e...
(continues)
Hayate

Nov 11, 2006, 3:19 PM
You must be racist.
Celestial Halo

Nov 11, 2006, 6:28 PM
Hell Yeah! And a nazi cus I know german too, well you know how it goes, If it aint white it aint..... well you know the rest of it. 🙄

P.S. I translated spanish for you in the lounge! 😲 😳 Good luck with that one, I know you didn't respond cus it's all gualla gualla to you.
Animosity_Reigns

Nov 11, 2006, 7:29 PM
Arizona past a proposition Nov 9th that fines families that don't learn english. I'm on a PDA otherwise I'd throw a link. You can find more info at azrepublic.com or cnn.com lol
Hayate

Nov 11, 2006, 7:49 PM
Yeah, I know about the proposition. I didn't realize they were fining people who didn't learn English, but I don't blame them. The federal government has standards for education, including standardized testing in English. Our state is ranked incredibly low in education because so many of the students in the public schools don't ever learn English. The thing is, the federal government is threatening to take away funding and even fine Arizona as a state if their test scores continue to stay so low. I'd be pissed if my taxes went up because a bunch of people couldn't be bothered to learn English.
Animosity_Reigns

Nov 11, 2006, 7:56 PM
I fully agree with you and post. I'm far from racist, but if I go to Mexico I don't expect them to speak emglish. Why should it be different here?
Hayate

Nov 11, 2006, 8:00 PM
Exactly. It has nothing to do with race. It's good to see another voice of reason on here ^_^

Honestly, I wouldn't care if they didn't speak English if they realized that things were just going to suck for them and they didn't expect people here to learn English. Like when I went to Mexico, Canada, and Japan, I didn't know Spanish and I knew only a VERY small amount of French and a fair amount of Japanese. I went into it knowing that there may be some places that I would have a difficult time with communication. There were a couple times this happened, but I never held it against the people there because I knew it was MY fault because I was in their home and couldn't speak their language.
aavera

Nov 11, 2006, 8:03 PM
It feally does have nothing to do with race. My whole family is from overseas...Italy on my grandpa's side, and they all worked hard to learn english. They knew that they would need to if they wanted to make it over here. Why should it be any different just because some people are too lazy to make an effort??
Hayate

Nov 11, 2006, 8:08 PM
Exactly. My grandfather moved here from Canada to join the military (he was from a TINY and very poor town in Nova Scotia). He did so so he could pay for an education and get a decent job in the States. When he moved to the US he spoke French and didn't know any English. He learned as quickly as possible and made the effort to actually be a part of the country he moved to.

He ended up being stationed in Germany and met my grandmother there. She didn't speak any English at the time either, but when she moved back to the US with my grandfather she learned English as well. They taught both of their kids English as their ONLY language.

My grandfather was involved with missile systems and a lot of high tech stuff that he won't tell me...
(continues)
Be a Randall not a Dante

Nov 12, 2006, 2:56 PM
Exactly! A lot of families in the U.S. (Most) were immigrants if you go far enough back. They almost alway learn English and teach it to their children. Recently there have been larger numbers of Spanish speaking immigrants who refuse to learn English. I have a really diverse family, and all of them regaurdless of where they are originally from learned English. If you don't want to, fine, but don't expect everyone else to learn your language in an attempt to satisfy you.
alejandro

Nov 11, 2006, 8:09 PM
nihongo ga wakarinai yo
Hayate

Nov 11, 2006, 8:15 PM
Actually, I do understand a bit of Japanese. Not enough to consider myself fluent by any means, but enough to know what that means (and to know that it's spelled wrong).
alejandro

Nov 11, 2006, 8:21 PM
not enough to know you cant spell japanese wrong when using roman characters
Hayate

Nov 11, 2006, 8:24 PM
That's actually not true at all. There are minor variances with some sounds, like oo, o-, ou for the same sound, or certain ones with hard consonants. But yeah, if you're trying to write romanize the character for ra as "ri" then you certainly can spell it wrong. By what you just said I could spell "baka" as "adfasdjfhsadfj" if I wanted. That doesn't make any sense @_@
alejandro

Nov 11, 2006, 8:25 PM
dude, you are trying to lecture me on japanese using romanization when i know full well i could outwrite you and outspeak you? and i know you couldnt help but say baka, stop watching so much anime, i bet if you could speak, you would talk like a 4 year old cartoon cat.
Hayate

Nov 11, 2006, 8:28 PM
Did you or did you not spell wakaranai wrong? You spelled it "wakarinai" which is incorrect. Accept it. You made a mistake. It doesn't matter if you know more or less Japanese than I do, the fact is you misspelled a word and I pointed it out. And believe it or not, Japanese people do use the word baka outside of anime. Like in real life even. But that's fine, you got caught misspelling something and I guess that's as good a way as any to try to get back at me for pointing out your mistake. Or both mistakes, really...
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 12:43 PM
are you freaking kidding me? you are really going to run with that? I dont speak roomaji jackass, i speak japanese.
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 1:15 PM
Are you being serious? It's not that difficult. If you were writing in kana you wouldn't just randomly replace ra with ri. It wouldn't make sense. It's not that hard to figure out which letters to use for vowels when romanizing a Japanese word. Unless you don't know how to spell it or misunderstand which vowel is used in the word itself. And you can misspell it because that one letter can make a huge difference. Going from kawaii to kowaii changes the meaning from cute to scary. And I don't think anyone speaks roomaji because roomaji isn't a spoken language to begin with. If you speak Japanese though, you should know what letters should be used in romanization.
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 1:17 PM
kawaii? you really only have an anime vocabulary dont you?
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 1:25 PM
Is that the best insult you can come up with? Japanese people, believe it or not, actually use that word. And pretty much every word in the Japanese language is used in anime. So you're really not creating a convincing argument. Anyhow, you have yet to explain how you came to the conclusion that you can't misspell Japanese words when romanizing them. But yeah, petty insults based on completely irrelevant things are WAY better than actually answering questions directed at you and backing up things you've said.
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 1:30 PM
i know, they are all very common words, but every japanese word you use is one of the most repeated phrase in 4 year old cartoon anime. that is the coincidence i am stating as not so coincidental, and your only retort is "hey, those are real words!" im not saying they are not, im just saying the only words you know are the first words of a japanese infant.
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 1:37 PM
They are real words. There is no problem with using them. I watch a crapload of anime and honestly, the words baka and kawaii don't show up often at all in the ones I watch.
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 1:38 PM
Now you are just completely full of sh*t. I don't use those words mostly because they are for 4 year old cartoon watchers.
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 1:40 PM
i had girls in my japanese classes like you, and i hated their very existance. go talk like a cartoon cat all you like with the 8 japanese words you know for all i care.
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 1:50 PM
I think in this conversation I've shown that I know more than eight words. All you've done is show that you can insult me for random things that aren't even true, say I talk like a cartoon cat or a 4 year old even though there's been nothing to even suggest that. You apparently haven't seen much anime if you think all of it is what you've been describing. Try watching something like Berserk, Speedgrapher, Basilisk, GTO, Now and Then Here and There, or Ergo Proxy. You're showing your ignorance in this matter quite clearly. There is a huge difference between those series and crap like Inu Yasha, Sailor Moon, Ranma 1/2, or any of the series you're talking about.
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 2:03 PM
you haven't used even more than 2 japanese words. you have absolutely no knowledge of the language outside of cartoons! i bet you dont even know the katakana and hiragana, im sure your knowledge stops at the names of those phonetic alphabets
Celestial Halo

Nov 12, 2006, 2:10 PM
My knowledge of english is from cartoons, cartoons rock, but I still miss Pumekel, oh poor Pumekel, Ich leibe dich, Pumekel!
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 2:13 PM
I actually can read hiragana and katakana with no problem. I have used three Japanese words and clearly understood (despite your misspelling) several others that you've written.
Be a Randall not a Dante

Nov 12, 2006, 1:20 PM
Ookami, Okami, and Kami are all very different words. So are cute and scary but a slight spelling mistake and you end up writing the wrong one. It's kinda rediculous to claim you can't spell it wrong. Because you can. Regaurdless of the language putting the wrong sounds together makes completely different words. With Japanese it's even more important then others because of how many words there are with only slight differences in pronounciation.
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 1:25 PM
roomaji isnt even a language, this guy corrects it like it matters. okami and kami may be different words, but they are also 100 different japanese words in their own selves, because roomaji is not japanese. including... dun dun dun... the same freaking word. with an honorific. but thats not the point. if you want to talk brush strokes i can do that, but im not going to debate the nuances of a language with someone who doesnt even know it, and corrects romanization, which i have to do so his dumbass can even try to piece it together.
Celestial Halo

Nov 12, 2006, 1:29 PM
Wow all this just cus you can't spell. Nancy here or was it Susan, you can pick today, gosh even if I forget to do the dishes at home I have to accept they are still there, and going back in the thread I can see the word is still misspelled, so you can continue to fight about it and get beat up more or just take a couple smacks and move on with your life.
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 1:34 PM
what word?
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 1:33 PM
I don't even think this message board would allow you to type in kana and/or kanji, so don't act like you're writing in roomaji for my benefit. I actually can read hiragana and katakana with no problem, though my kanji knowledge is admittedly limited. I've taken two semesters of Japanese and studied a bit on my own, and I've learned a good amount from people who are fluent in Japanese, as well as picked up some from games, anime, and manga (which, despite your apparent beliefs, are in actual Japanese and can be a good learning tool to supplement vocabulary). Actually a couple days ago I spent several hours with two Japanese girls that spoke very little English and got along just fine in Japanese. You have no reason to think that I don't ...
(continues)
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 1:35 PM
its not a legitimate method of writing japanese, any japanese 101 teacher could tell you that.
Hayate

Actually it is. Have you been to Japan? Lots of things are written in roomaji. And even if you want to claim that it is not a legitimate way of writing in Japanese, it still doesn't take much intelligence that the sound for "a" is not accurately represented by an "i". Face it, you spelled it wrong. You could've left it at that, accepted it, and moved on without looking like a complete douche. Instead you've thrown a little fit on here and said about 10 more things to make yourself look like a complete jackass. We can keep going if you'd like because you're in rare form. I don't think I've ever had such an easy time making you look like an idiot (mostly because you're doing a majority of it for me).
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 1:43 PM
hahaha, you dont even know japanese and you are trying to lecture people on romanized rules! isnt there an episode of sailor moon you are missing.
Celestial Halo

Nov 12, 2006, 1:44 PM
😁 😁 😁 😁
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 1:52 PM
How do you know I don't know Japanese? You have nothing to base that on. I am not fluent but I obviously know a lot more than you are giving me credit for. The funny thing is I am right about the romanization rules and you have yet to actually address that. You have yet to actually prove me wrong in that regard. This is great because you look like a complete and utter ass.
Celestial Halo

Nov 12, 2006, 1:55 PM
It's okay he just nows Meican and english then he goes to those translation web sites and lets it translate for him, and how can a web site be wrong? Eveything on the internet is right and truthful! 😁
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 2:00 PM
you said you took 2 semesters and you watch cartoons, besides the well known established japanese community in flagstaff arizona (sarcasm) your complete lack of communications in japanese also shows that.
Celestial Halo

Nov 12, 2006, 2:04 PM
NAU is in flagstaff and last time I checked they had quite a large language program? Doesn't the school specialize in restaruant and hotel management courses, oh wait yeah they do, and who cooks our food, who cleans the hotels, I don't know about everywere else, but it is usually those who struggle to communicate in an english based society, so I think forgien languages might be important in that town/ school?
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 2:06 PM
what the hell are you even talking about? your are obviously just here for moral support, i suggest you stick to that instead of talking.
Celestial Halo

Nov 12, 2006, 2:11 PM
Okay, but I'm typing not talking so can I just do that? I love it when you act like a big strong man and tell me what to do. 😁
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 2:15 PM
i know you do betty, you like someone to take charge and use you like the whore you are
Celestial Halo

Nov 12, 2006, 2:27 PM
I perfer B**ch thank you very much! 🤣 🤣 🤣
Hayate

There are more Japanese people up here than any other minority group aside from Native Americans. My wife is majoring in Japanese at NAU. It's not like there's no Japanese influence here.
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 2:05 PM
you are just a fanboy with a hard on for gackt and other ****ty homo-erotic japanese male singers.
Celestial Halo

Nov 12, 2006, 2:07 PM
I wish I new who that was he sounds dreamy! 🤤 Do you have a picture on file I would love to see it.
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 2:16 PM
I like how you completely disregard Gackt's actual music and just go on about a couple of his videos and stage performances that had stuff like that. And again, anyone that says that Gackt has no talent shows that they clearly have absolutely no clue about music.
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 2:17 PM
oh stop with the gay crush already, he f*cking sucks, move on, your never going to get that chance to suck his c*ck!
Celestial Halo

Nov 12, 2006, 2:19 PM
Why do you have no faith, if I go back to modeling for hugo or metro I might have a chance don't you think? I wish I had time to do that though.
Hayate

And again, no actual rebuttal, just petty immature insults that have nothing to do with the conversation.
Celestial Halo

Nov 12, 2006, 2:28 PM
But insults make you a bigger man, ooooooo I can call you names and make fun of you I rule the kindergarden playground, rararar!
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 2:29 PM
no rebuttal needed, you are just talking about gackt over and over, there are 20 other threads where you cant supress you need, this is not a part of the conversation, i was just telling you to stop.
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 2:31 PM
I actually wasn't talking about Gackt over and over. You are the one that brought Gackt up actually and I defended his music once. Maybe you're the one with the gay crush. F*g.
Celestial Halo

Nov 12, 2006, 2:32 PM
oooooooo he got you good f'er! 🤣 🤣 🤣 gotta love the super troopers
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 2:38 PM
the lady doth protest too much me thinks
Celestial Halo

Nov 12, 2006, 2:41 PM
WTF? Are you speaking in star wars talk or something? Please try agian.
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 2:42 PM
its Shakespeare, but mostly because him saying that reminds me of south park, when someone breaks up with mr garrison he calls them a f*ggot.
Celestial Halo

Nov 12, 2006, 3:06 PM
🤣 I like south park, Shake what, remember I'm pretty and come from a wealthy family, I didn't have to learn anything growing up.
Hayate

Actually, there are a lot of Japanese people in Flagstaff, so I'm not sure why that would be sarcastic. I have two close friends that are on their last year of majoring in Japanese and are fluent so I have a couple people that I have learned a lot from. I took two semesters in a classroom setting, but have learned quite a bit outside of the classroom as well. As I said, I am not fluent by any means, but I certainly know more than you're giving me credit for. I see no point in communicating in Japanese here because no one else would understand it.
alejandro

it would prove a point. a point that you cant back up, anytime i have ever said anything in roomaji or japanese even in threads you have been a part of shows that you steer clear of the language all together
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 2:18 PM
You said, in Japanese, that I don't understand Japanese. I replied in English for the benefit of those who don't speak Japanese and wouldn't have a clue what was going on. I've clearly shown that I have understood everything you've said in Japanese, so I don't see the point in replying in Japanese and excluding everyone else from the conversation by doing so.
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 2:39 PM
not just this thread, there have been several others where you just steered completely clear of it.
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 3:05 PM
When? I don't recall that ever happening. I know you've said some random stuff in Japanese before but it was never worth replying to. I don't feel the need to prove to you whether I know Japanese or not. I will admit that my ability to speak Japanese is not nearly as good as my ability to understand Japanese. Still, it doesn't change the fact that you misspelled a Japanese word and don't seem to be willing to admit that.
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 3:18 PM
its not japanese!
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 3:30 PM
It is! You're an idiot! You showed a clear misunderstanding of how that word sounds and should be spelled! There's no getting around it!
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 2:34 PM
And why are you still differentiating roomaji and Japanese as if they're two different languages? Dumbass.
Celestial Halo

I would understand it, or at least sit here, look pretty and try to understand it, cus we're here in japan and all.
Celestial Halo

Nov 12, 2006, 1:38 PM
You two are so cute argueing with each other, you could be married, maybe you could think of a cute pet name for alejandro, cus he made one for me. 🤣

Oh yeah and here's a translation for alejandro:

Guala guala gual guala guala guala guala, guala guala guala guala, guala guala guala gu guala guala guala guala, cus guala guala. 😁
alejandro

whatever betty
Celestial Halo

Nov 12, 2006, 1:45 PM
OOOOOOOoooooo! a new pet name I like that so will you be calling me that later tonight too? 😉
Be a Randall not a Dante

Nov 12, 2006, 1:28 PM
Okay, living in AZ and now having English being declared our official language I want to say this. I do not hate Spanish or Mexican people. My ex-girlfriend (Still a really good friend of mine) is Mexican. That said, I'm sick and tired of permanent residents of the united states who don't speak English. I honestly don't care about illegal immigrants. If you can get into this country and support yourself, then good for you; however, don't expect me to speak your language. Don't expect me to bend over backwards to try and communicate with you. I love travelling, and you know what when I go to France I speak French. When I go to Japan I speak Japanese. When I go to Mexico I speak Spanish. If I go somewhere where I can't speak the language I fin...
(continues)
alejandro

More stuff in southern california in spanish? now that is definately perception. and a skewed perception that worries me. I have no problem with everything else you said though. Although i will say my mom went to europe with a friend and she was so embarassed because her friend was the "stereotypical american" in paris going up to people rudely and demanding stuff in english.
Celestial Halo

Nov 12, 2006, 1:41 PM
Yea in So Cali there are more street signs, and directions in Spanish than English, even fast food menus lately. I don't think I could function if I did know just a little bit of Spanish, or as I like to call it Mexican, cus I can understand most mexicans, but if someone from Spain trys to talk to me it's like a whole different language..... 😳
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 1:44 PM
i would think you would understand the spanish better because they speak with a lisp.
Celestial Halo

Yeah! You tell em'. No one else seems to understand unless they live in a bordering state. 😁
Be a Randall not a Dante

The reason I titled this the way I did is because that was all that was written on the sign 75 feet away from the place where I voted. No English. Just Limit de 75 pies. It's a sign for protesters marking where 75 feet away is so they can stand there and hand out pamplets, etc.... But it wasn't in English at all. It's what actually pissed me off enough to vote for making English our official language. As for Southern California. I seriosuly drove for several hours and all the billboards and signs were in Spanish. Everything from Wellsfargo billboards, posters for movies, etc. Once you get into the bigger city's it's not as bad, but meh. You are right in that it's a matter of perception. It just bugs me so I'm more likely to notice it.
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 1:42 PM
well, if I was a nationalist I would put that sign in spanish only too, thats the best thing i could do to further my cause.
Be a Randall not a Dante

Nov 12, 2006, 1:45 PM
Yeah, except it's like that every year since I started to vote. Arizona caters a lot to Spanish speakers. Nothing really wrong with that, but sometimes it gets extreme and that is what pisses me off. If I pick up a government form and it's in Spanish first, then English it annoys me.
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 1:47 PM
well that sign was for protesters, and i cant really speak to your signs because im from california, not arizona. and i cant really speak to your perception because im multi-cultural and people who speak other languages do not bother me, i have worked with people from the ukraine, mexico, canada, and somehow i was always able to understand them. hell when someone with downsyndrome talks to me i have an easier time understanding them than when someone says "SPEAK ENGLISH OR GET OUT!"
Celestial Halo

Nov 12, 2006, 1:50 PM
I like people with downs, they're always so happy 😁 . Guala guala guala, guala guala happy.
Be a Randall not a Dante

Nov 12, 2006, 1:57 PM
People who speak other languages don't bother me. Getting mad and expecting others to speak your language does. Anyways, communicating with people who don't speak the same language or speak it that well is easy if both partys are willing to try. The problem is when people walk up and expect others to speak their language or they will refuse to even try and communicate.

In highschool while taking Spanish and French classes, I walked into a grocery store and a woman was demanding in Spanish that they find someone who spoke spanish immediately to help her or else. The people didn't even know what she was saying because she was screaming in Spanish. I actually with my limited Spanish knowledge went over and helped her just to bail out the poo...
(continues)
Celestial Halo

Nov 12, 2006, 2:00 PM
😁
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 2:02 PM
dicks come from all over the world, you dont assume that all white people are assholes when one demands you replace their water damaged phone so your annecdotal evidence swaying your view of an entire spanish speaking people is disturbing.
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 2:06 PM
You only think that because you're Mexican.
alejandro

I'm a half mexican who listens to the whitest music on earth, i study japanese but hate the racist japanese mentality, my brother is a half mexican with blond hair and blue eyes and my mother listens to middle eastern music. you are the whitest kid on earth and you watch japanese cartoons and do nothing but stand in your kiosk all day complaining about how stupid your customers are because you are the biggest genius in the world and they are so beneath you because you are so intelligent and they are so horrendously stupid, meanwhile you still stand there all day and complain all day because you sell 5 phones a week and its the worlds fault that your talents are so woefully underutilized.
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 2:27 PM
When did I say that I only sell five phones a week? Our entire mall has been dead for the past three or four weeks and ALL the kiosks have suffered. I made about $100 a day in commission for the past several days though in addition to my hourly. Anyway, I don't recall ever saying anything like that.

And customers are stupid. If you haven't noticed, that's kinda the entire point of the Shop Talk forum and EVERYONE complains about their customers being stupid. I don't see you trying to tell everyone else they're somehow bad people for it though. Much like the Spanish language thread where like 10 people agreed with me and the only person you bothered attacking was me.

And I don't really care about your family's background. I calle...
(continues)
Celestial Halo

oh oh oh I'm a racist and so are you,
it's okay though,
we all are even the jews......
😛
wantacookie

Nov 12, 2006, 2:49 PM
"Throw the jew down the well... So my country can be free!!!"

ahhh Borat.... me likey. That movie was so funny.
Be a Randall not a Dante

Nov 12, 2006, 2:58 PM
yES! It was hillarious! Honestly I'm trying to talk my mom and Grandma into going to see it.
Celestial Halo

Nov 12, 2006, 3:15 PM
🤣
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 2:36 PM
but its pointless and you are the center of that pointless charade! you just keep bitching over and over about the stupidest people in the world, like you are the smartest. but obviously if you were so smart you wouldnt be stuck in the same job over and over and from your pointless whinings, you really are just a horrible employee with no customer service skills at all. I didnt call anyone a racist here. i believe the last person i called racist was deeterman, and thats because he sent me a joke where the punchline was "... and you can starve a n*gger baby for a week"
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 2:47 PM
I'm actually one of the top sales people in our company and I have great customer service skills. I've worked retail for like 10-12 years and have been a manager everywhere except here (though I've been offered my own store when we open a new location in a couple months). I never said I'm a genius, I just said that people are stupid, much like everyone else here says people are stupid.

And you may not have directly called someone a racist, but you always b*tch and moan about how everything is race-related. And you say it's ok for you to say spic but if anyone else said that you'd be angry, kick their ass, or whatever else. You also completely disregarded that Be a Randall Not a Dante said repeatedly that it had nothing to do with race...
(continues)
Celestial Halo

Nov 12, 2006, 3:03 PM
🤣 🤣 🤣 I heard that joke!
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 3:04 PM
thanks for that affirmation... rah rah sis boom bah.
Celestial Halo

Nov 12, 2006, 3:28 PM
See your getting it, now the real question is are you pretty, cus only us pretty ones can be cheerLEADERS! 😁
Be a Randall not a Dante

Nov 12, 2006, 2:09 PM
That isn't what I said what the hell is wrong with you. I hate anyone who goes to another country and expects them to speak their language. I have mexican friends (Including my ex girlfriend). I also have an Aunt who is living in Spain who I'm psyched to go visit! (Haven't yet been to spain) And my other Aunt married a Mexican. (The uncle I just spoke of) Did you not read anything I've been saying? And yes all white people are assholes. Because with few exceptions, all people are assholes! I like how you completely ignore everything I've said then pull something out your ass about how I hate all Spanish speaking people.
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 2:12 PM
But you're white. And you talked about Mexicans. You must be racist. That's just how it works.
Celestial Halo

🤣 🤣 🤣
alejandro

well thats where we differ, i dont actually have beliefs like "all white people are assholes" you really just have a distaste for all people, the need to find another difference to single out is just a smaller part of it.
Be a Randall not a Dante

You know now that I think about it, I've hated only two Spanish speaking people in my life. One being you, and the other being my junior high Spanish teacher. Who was white but spoke spanish. So yeah. Other then white Christians, and you, I don't hate a lot of people.
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 2:29 PM
But by what you said earlier it was quite clear that you absolutely hate all Spanish-speaking people and are a complete and utter racist bastard. You hate everyone that isn't white and would just as soon kill all of those Spanish-speakers. Or at least that's the impression I'd get if I was Mexican like Alejandro.
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 2:30 PM
i dont even speak spanish stupid!
Be a Randall not a Dante

Then why the **** are you attacking me?
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 2:32 PM
because you are a moron! you are obviously not even paying attention to the conversation, i have said over and over i dont speak spanish but you just keep going off on your tirade, you are more than welcome to but if you really want to have a discussion you are going to have to pay attention!
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 2:33 PM
Have you said you don't speak Spanish before like two seconds ago? I don't recall... And you really have no room to talk about not paying attention and spouting off random sh*t that is irrelevant to the conversation at hand.
Be a Randall not a Dante

Nov 12, 2006, 2:34 PM
You didn't pay attention to anything I said, and after talking about my Uncle and his mom who I both love and both are Mexican you accused me of Hating all Spanish speaking people. Also, never once have I Heard you say you don't speak Spanish. I assumed you did and that is why you freaked out and accused me of hating Spanish speakers. If you were just assuming I hated you it would have been okay, now there is no justification for your brutal abuse other then the fact you hate all jews.
Be a Randall not a Dante

Nov 12, 2006, 2:36 PM
Nazi!
Celestial Halo

Nov 12, 2006, 2:40 PM
Hey hey hey, don't insult the Nazi's like that!
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 2:41 PM
between those 2, you, their personal cheerleader, and customers this is getting rather tiresome.
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 2:48 PM
I think that's because you're sick of making yourself look like a douchebag over and over.
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 2:51 PM
you already declared yourself a winner yesterday. i love when you do that.
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 2:54 PM
maturity aside, I think i did rather well against 2 people who didnt even bother to read my posts and who keept and still keep asserting that not only am i mexican but i actually speak spanish. and their ever vigilant cheer leader.
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 3:13 PM
You haven't actually done anything productive in this debate. All you've done is ignore what we've said, not answer questions, and resort to petty irrelevant insults. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm definitely not impressed.

You've said on countless occassions that you are Mexican. I assumed that you spoke Spanish because you were defending it so much earlier. I'm sorry for making such an assumption, but you know how us racists are...
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 3:19 PM
you seem to be projecting now
Celestial Halo

Go team go, and I can speak the espannolio! And my names not even spanish.
Be a Randall not a Dante

Nov 12, 2006, 2:46 PM
True. I wouldn't want to offend any Nazi's on this forum by lumping Alejandro in with them.
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 2:40 PM
no i didnt, i accused you of hating all people.
Be a Randall not a Dante

Nov 12, 2006, 2:48 PM
dicks come from all over the world, you dont assume that all white people are assholes when one demands you replace their water damaged phone so your annecdotal evidence swaying your view of an entire spanish speaking people is disturbing.
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 2:50 PM
you already said you hated everyone that speaks spanish only.
Be a Randall not a Dante

Nov 12, 2006, 2:57 PM
No. I didn't! I have been to Mexico. I don't hate anyone there. I don't hate tourist who come here and don't speak English. I hate people who live here and refuse to even try and learn a little English just to get by.
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 2:59 PM
what part of that description refutes what i actually said? hey, you are full of hate, i understand, you hate me on properties i dont even have, i dont hate you because im not like that. i backed you up in your gay threads, but i dont expect anything just because i stood up for you, you think what you think, the only thing i ever said was your perspective is skewed and worrisome. and that was my opinion. it's not my fault you have a fierce backlash to that.
Hayate

Umm...pretty much all of what he said refutes what you said. You said he hates all Spanish-speaking people when he clearly said he doesn't hate all Spanish-speaking people. He said very clearly that what he hates is when ANYONE from ANY country goes to another country and expects the citizens there to learn or speak their language. There is a HUGE difference.
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 3:20 PM
i was talking to him, thank you though
Celestial Halo

Nov 12, 2006, 3:26 PM
Yeah huge isn't in alejandro's comprehension. Don't use such huge words, I was talking to Hayate, Just so you know not to respond.
Be a Randall not a Dante

Nov 12, 2006, 3:28 PM
Yes and since he pointed out how wrong you were about it you ignored what he said. I've responded it took a few moments cause I had a lot to write. You seem to act like everyone else is racists and predjudice and no ones views matter besides your own. You did defend me during that gay debate, but at the same time you seem to think accusing someone of being gay is the ultimate insult.
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 3:34 PM
But come on, you know that it can only be a racist or prejudiced statement if it's coming from a white guy.
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 3:33 PM
Wow, your level of maturity astounds me. I don't even know how to reply to something that stupid and completely ridiculous.
aavera

Nov 12, 2006, 3:38 PM
You two are so cute fighting like a married couple...🤣
Celestial Halo

Nov 12, 2006, 3:46 PM
Yeah that's what I was saying too..... adorable 🤣
Be a Randall not a Dante

Nov 12, 2006, 3:20 PM
I hate you because you didn't actually read anything I said then responded with something that is not at all what I said. I don't hate Spanish Speakers. Or English speakers. I hate people who go to other countrys and expect people to bend over backwards for them. I mentioned that when I was in France I hated English speakers who expected the various shopkeepers to speak English. I hate people who go to Mexico (Especially at spring break) and expect locals to speak English and get mad at them if they don't. I have hispanic relatives. I have an ex-girlfriend who is Mexican they all agree with me completely on this.

As for thinking you spoke Spanish I apologize. I really do. I have never once seen you say you didn't speak it. So I do apolog...
(continues)
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 3:47 PM
your apology is pretty empty. besides the fact that all you are accusing me of is stuff i already accused you of over an hour ago. the 2 of you.

Other misconceptions that not only do i not appreciate you making, but show how much you do not pay attention:

I never said accusing someone of being gay was the ultimate insult, i said when i insult someone i accuse them of being what they hate, so neo nazis are good candidates to be called f*gs.

I never accused you of not being diverse and i do not understand why you need to keep bringing it up, its not a part of the conversation.

as for the rest of your tirade i really dont care about your personal life, i know you are really messed up but not only is that not my problem, its not ...
(continues)
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 3:59 PM
You call people gay on here all the time, regardless of what they are saying. And just because you said something a while ago doesn't mean it's impossible for you to actually be the one doing those things (like not actually responding to questions and comments and essentially ignoring what we're saying). You saying it first doesn't mean that you have a monopoly on that comment.

Anyhow, the point he was making in all of that was pretty clear. You accused him of hating all Spanish-speakers after he said very clearly that he did not feel that way and had several family members that speak Spanish. You twisted what he was saying and completely misrepresented his stance.
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 4:04 PM
i said he was taking annecdotal evidence and casting dispersions on the spanish speaking community, for him to say he doesnt hate mexicans in mexico does not invalidate that.

and you must admit it is pretty empty to accuse me of something you were already called out on.
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 4:15 PM
You said that we're ignoring what you're saying in your posts, which isn't true because we've actually replied directly to everything you've said. We said that you're ignoring what we're saying in our posts because you have on several occassions done just that.

If I walked in on you getting f*cked in the ass by some guy and you quickly shouted out that I like taking it in the ass, I think it'd still be pretty safe for me to say that you are the one who likes it in the ass because you've actually done it and I haven't.
alejandro

Nov 12, 2006, 4:31 PM
but its exactly stuff like that, you guys are judging me on properties and traits i dont even have, you are not paying attention to anything i when i mention it you just throw it back when you feel that way.

For instance, your constant "jabs" at my maturity, when posts like that are exactly why you cannot be taken seriously.
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 4:38 PM
How so? I address your points in a thread and ask questions or make comments and your reply is just some petty insult. That is immature. We actually have been paying attention to what you said and actually did respond to your comments and questions. I don't see anywhere in this conversation where he or I completely disregarded what you said and just insulted you instead.
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 2:33 PM
Well, sh*t. I have one less reason to hate the Spanish-speaking community now.
Celestial Halo

Nov 12, 2006, 1:48 PM
Yeah and it's not like the Spanish population even votes, wtf? Why print and advertise to a community that doesn't even vote, seriously if they didn't try sooooo hard to tell them that an election was going on, they probably wouldn't even know it happened and still have the same number of hispanic voters. 😕
smorris

Nov 12, 2006, 5:07 PM
After reading this whole thread (it took awhile), I just want to say something.

I speak Spanish. I'm a 20 year old caucasian male, because I found it in my own best interest to be able to communicate with as many people as I can.

If the United States was to have any "standard" language, the deserving one would likely be Cherokee, or Iriquios - not English. Because our "native" language actually does belong to people with a darker complexion.

America is awesome for it's diversity, not in spite of it.
stevelvl

Nov 12, 2006, 5:22 PM
smorris said:
America is awesome for it's diversity, not in spite of it.

I could not agree more where else in the world do you get a country with as much eropean divercity! why in this forum alone i bet we have what 10-15 people decended from different europian countries?
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 5:31 PM
You act as if skin color has anything to do with the language spoken in this country. I know that Native Americans were here first and they don't speak English, but the fact is a VERY low percentage of people in this country actually speak any Native American languages. People in this country, and those that were responsible for the country being what it is today speak and spoke English. I have no problem with diversity but I think Americans put way too much value on it and that causes them to lose sight of reality when things actually cause problems.
Be a Randall not a Dante

Nov 12, 2006, 5:39 PM
I agree, diversity is a good thing (Although it does cause conflict) I just am of the oppinion that people should try and learn the lanuage of the country they are living in. If I ever moved to France I wouldn't expect all the signs to be in English and all the people to speak English for me. I don't even mind if people want to just speak their original language of their home country just don't get mad or expect other people to speak it. I've been trying to say this for some time. I've always felt this way. When I visited France it bothered me how many americans would yell at French people because they don't speak English, and I speak some spanish (Took four years) and I will help Spanish speaking people, but I don't like people who expect m...
(continues)
smorris

Nov 12, 2006, 5:46 PM
80% of the French population knows at least SOME English.

In the United States, we only teach Engligh as a mandatory language.

Japanese public schools require English fluency.

Korean public schools require English fluency.

We are a powerful nation. But we're not the only ones who speak English.

There are MANY MANY people who reside in England who speak MANY European languages.

We are a nation of immigrants, and should not give more value to one group than another.

Uhm... and now I need to say something closed-minded like everyone else did. So uh... **** Canada.
Hayate

Nov 12, 2006, 5:52 PM
How is it closed-minded to say that if you move to a country you should learn the language of that country, or at the very least not expect/demand that other people learn and speak your language?
biznass

Nov 13, 2006, 7:12 PM
I traveled Europe A LOT (lived there for four years after high school in Sweden, Ireland and mostly England) and I spoke Swedish in Sweden (although it was horrible) and English in Ireland and England. I also went to France on several mini-breaks and spoke French while I was there (studied it for four years in high school and was a nanny for a French family). I have no sympathy for people who say America is a nation of immigrants and we should respect its diversity etc because of it. To me, America is a nation where people can succeed IF they work hard to blend into the American way of life and follow our laws and customs.
I grew up speaking English and having English spoken to me. WHY should I now have to feel obliged to learn Spanish in t...
(continues)
Likenonother

Nov 14, 2006, 1:20 PM
Being black, I have no problem with diversity, obviously, but I believe that if u are going to live in a country that primarily speaks a language different from urs, it is within ur best interest to learn as much of the language as possible to make it easier on u. It is not the responsiblitie of others to make it easlier on u by learning ur language. It is self centered to think other people should accomodate u and ur way of life just to mak ur communication with others productive.
jwinch04

Apr 9, 2008, 2:48 PM
"It is self centered to think other people should accomodate u and ur way of life just to mak ur communication with others productive."

if i came to your house u u took ur shoes of at the door, i woudl to, its what u do, if im mexican and i move to america, i should learn english considering everything is in english.

This thread has reached the maximum number of replies.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.