Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 45 replies

Anyone have advice on how to avoid the $175 cancellation fee?

ucsb93117

Oct 28, 2006, 9:42 PM
Hey everyone,
I'm not a cell company employee but I figured a lot of the people on this forum might be able to offer some much needed advice.
So I'm a college student & I've been with Verizon for the past three years, where I've never missed a payment or done anything to be considered a negative customer. My contract doesn't end until June 2007, but yesterday I ordered a new phone & service from cingular because i get a discount thru my new job....SOOO on Monday they're going to port my # over and then vrzn is going to charge me the fee....
I'm wondering if there is any excuse I can give them to avoid paying the $175...as a near-broke college student it would help me out tremendously to not pay that much just to get out of a contract. ...
(continues)
chainsaw

Oct 28, 2006, 9:45 PM
Your pretty much SOL. Your situation is self imposed unless you want to lie and say were called for military service or something. But that is illegal.
ucsb93117

Oct 28, 2006, 9:52 PM
my friend's brother did that but only because the situation was legit...and they had him fax a copy of his assignment and stuff..
but i wouldn't really have have a huge moral complex and lose any sleep over lying to a phone company...
Crapbag

Oct 28, 2006, 9:57 PM
As far as i know you would need deployment papers. In your case, as the port is in progress, i don't think you have much hope.
ucsb93117

Oct 28, 2006, 9:59 PM
are you sure the port in progress? i was told that when i activate the new phone when i receive it that's when things are put into motion?
chainsaw

Oct 28, 2006, 10:32 PM
I'm sure verizon has a copy of the port request. You just have to complete the activation over the phone. Usually companies won't allow you to port your number if you are leaving overseas or what not. They will only cancel your line of service and waive the etf.
shelly

Nov 4, 2006, 3:16 PM
See even thinking of using the military as an excuse makes me 👿 because it just makes it harder for us who really are. The only way to get away with this is YOU CANT they will charge you the late fee if they see you port unless you can prove that there is not verizon service in your area & that your military ( EX- having complete orders to fax them )

Good luck 😁
lavrnius maximus

Nov 9, 2006, 4:47 PM
i heard if you go to place where your in the extended nework and make alot of "roaming calls" they'll boot you. Make the calls offpeak and connect with moviephone or something and leave the phone on like all night make a ten hour call offpeak everyday if you have to eventually the comp will get pissed cuz they are paying the roaming and boot you off. just a little rumor i heard.
thisguyosu

Oct 30, 2006, 1:43 PM
ucsb93117 said:
but i wouldn't really have have a huge moral complex and lose any sleep over lying to a phone company...

why would you even be asking us for help then? scumbag.
ROLLYPOLLY

Oct 29, 2006, 12:49 AM
probably the worse place to ask that question. look at the other post they're almost all post bashing customers. Then you say you don't have a problem lying to the company but when you lie to the company your lying to one of us on the other end of the phone or to our face in the store. no one wants to play a penalty or bill but sometimes you just have to suck it up. just write it off on the money your saving on your bill.
ucsb93117

Oct 29, 2006, 7:10 AM
thnx for that..
i have read the posts; they're enjoyable, and i'm not a ridiculous customer being all white trashy or ghetto or old or whatever in some store making ridiculous requests or anything...i'm simply lookin for a loophole. i'm a broke ass college student with a legitimate circumstance saying i wouldn't mind lying to a corporation that is notorious for ****ing people over. i have nothin but respect for you guys that work the retail end of things, honestly, but if i can save almost $200, i'm going to try to do so.
ROLLYPOLLY

Oct 29, 2006, 12:09 PM
how is verizon notorious for screwing people over? its funny how customers are fine with a company and love it until theres that one policy that they don't like because it might cost them money and all of a sudden their the most evil corp in the world. back to the original point. I really doubt anyone in this forum is going to help you find a loophole in the termination fee.
biznass

Oct 29, 2006, 12:29 PM
ROLLYPOLLY said:
how is verizon notorious for screwing people over? its funny how customers are fine with a company and love it until theres that one policy that they don't like because it might cost them money and all of a sudden their the most evil corp in the world. back to the original point. I really doubt anyone in this forum is going to help you find a loophole in the termination fee.

I second that!
Hayate

Oct 29, 2006, 1:47 PM
Looking at this from both sides, I can understand his perspective and everyone else's. As an employee for a cell phone company, I would never give someone a way to get out of their ETF with my company by any means other than the legitimate ones that have been mentioned. As everyone said, you signed it, you're stuck with it.

On the other hand, as a customer, I also value my own money and satisfaction. I wouldn't call a company a horrible company for NOT breaking policy, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't try to get out of it. I've had my credit card company waive late payment fees on two occassions when I didn't get my bill. Really though, it's my responsibility to know when it's due (same time every month), so not receiving the bill do...
(continues)
ucsb93117

Oct 29, 2006, 2:57 PM
thank you for the response, i appreciate it
Nikoletta

Oct 29, 2006, 1:49 PM
ucsb93117 said:
...i have nothin but respect for you guys that work the retail end of things, honestly...

Bull Pokey. You just said

ucsb93117 said:
...saying i wouldn't mind lying to a corporation...

Which is saying you have no qualms against lying to us to get what you want. That's NOT RESPECT.

And crap, look what you've done, you've made me go use Block Quotes.
captainplooky

Oct 29, 2006, 9:15 AM

Then you say you don't have a problem lying to the company but when you lie to the company your lying to one of us on the other end of the phone or to our face in the store.

🤣 Professional liars are upset with the amateurs.
ROLLYPOLLY

Oct 29, 2006, 11:48 AM
you have to protect the trade. can't have amateurs messing it up.
biznass

Oct 29, 2006, 12:00 PM
It's a contract, which you signed. You're breaking the terms of the contract...which you signed...so, pay the early termination fee. It's that simple. There's no way to get out of it anyway if you are porting your number. The only way the waive the fees are if you move to an area of no service or if you get deployed, both of which you'd have to provide proof of. If you didn't want to pay the termination fee, you should've waited until you were out of contract. Have you tried to figure up how much you're actually going to save by cancelling the service and paying the ETF vs. keeping service until July and then signing up with Cingular? It's only 9 months away. You might actually be wasting more money this way.

Anwyay, if I were the rep yo...
(continues)
Nikoletta

Oct 29, 2006, 1:18 PM
Here's an answer, easy one too...

READ THE FORUM RULES!

Here, let me quote them for you since you OBVIOUSLY can't be bothered...

Rich Brome said:

If you are a consumer with a question or issue, this is not the place to ask for help. Instead, please ask in the appropriate carrier forum, or whichever forum seems most relevant.

This is our place, and you're being a bit of a tool coming in here like this. Additionally you say things about not caring if you lie to the wireless company... darling we ARE the wireless company, all the companies and it's our job to STOP you.

If you didn't want to pay the ETF you should have waited until July to set up the new service with your job. You're options ...
(continues)
ROLLYPOLLY

Oct 29, 2006, 1:40 PM
yeeeaaahhhh booyyyyyyy!!!!!!!
biznass

Oct 29, 2006, 2:24 PM
yeah, nice one!
beyond

Oct 29, 2006, 2:37 PM
That's my advice
alejandro

Oct 29, 2006, 2:57 PM
Yeah, looks like the "near-broke" college kid with enough money to pay for a cell phone bill is going to have to tough it out. .... porting out and wanting the cancellation waived....
ucsb93117

Oct 29, 2006, 3:08 PM
i'm aware i signed a contract. thank you to the 80 people who pointed that out. i was looking for a loophole or any advice, not a goddamn slap on my wrist. sorry i wasted my time in this forum.

paying the fee was something i was trying to avoid, which i did about twenty minutes ago by explaining my circumstances to a phone rep who put a $175 credit to wash out the fee when it'll be charged on tuesday. i was a loyal customer for over three years & never missed a payment, my phone broke out of waranty, etc. gave the woman reason enough to help me out. also, the last time i changed my plan, my text and media plan fell off like i was told my 3 oh so brilliant reps wouldn't happen...and then after talking to 3 more people they couldn't reinsa...
(continues)
Nikoletta

Oct 29, 2006, 3:14 PM
Well you little tool, if you'd read the forum rules to begin with instead of coming into our playground and making a prick of yourself you wouldn't be having this problem would you? It was an easily avoided situation, this 'slaps on the wrist' but then it seems that following the rules is CLEARLY beyond your capacity.

We're losers? You're the one who said you'd be quite willing to lie to get your way... sounds like more of a loser in my book than those of us who are simply working to make ends meet so, like you, we can get through college (this is how I pay my way through college... by working in a call center were I have to deal with obnoxious little prats like you all day who want to world handed to them on a silver platter because th...
(continues)
ondisplay

Oct 29, 2006, 3:17 PM
*applause*
Nikoletta

Oct 29, 2006, 3:44 PM
And I'm sorry you wasted our time too.
biznass

Oct 29, 2006, 4:13 PM
It's not like you'll ever even think about us once you get your precious credit. Why get so stressed? You asked for help and you got it. Sorry if 80 people stated the obvious to you but we deal with people like you all the time who think the rules don't apply to them.
Anytime someone says they're porting their number out, I'm like 'you're not my customer, and I won't make money off of you so see you later.'

Good riddance!
frankiewawa

Oct 30, 2006, 2:59 PM
cry cry cry someone hand this kid a tissue. hes lucky if he found someone to waive the ETF but hes fulla ****. he probably lied to someone to get it waived.
orphandrew

Oct 31, 2006, 2:08 PM
So, basically you're capering about like a spoiled little brat because you got your way. Hooray, you nasty little troll of a boy. Now get off our boards and when you cancel with Cingular, may they ram you, without care, for the ETFs. Little crybaby.
knn_dm

Oct 31, 2006, 5:07 PM
I'm currently playing the worlds smallest violin for this f***in idiot. And it keeps getting smaller by the second.
PhoneHero

Oct 30, 2006, 1:46 PM
you could fake your death!
thisguyosu

Oct 30, 2006, 1:50 PM
hahahaha what a classic thread.

This is the exact thing we come to this forum to express our feelings over. We actually had the chance to experience it first hand.

That was fun, I wish I hadnt have been off the last 2 days.
Rhayes76

Oct 30, 2006, 9:35 PM
Come to think of it, been with Verizon 3 years I get customers in my store spittin that mess and they still get squat, I know he had to tell a lie my pops been with AT&T for over 10 years and he is just now starting to get some special treatment, what a Jagoff 😛
mela774

Oct 30, 2006, 11:03 PM
Seriously... of all the countless forums and chatrooms and bulletin boards in all of the great big ol' Internet, you come to THIS one to ask this question!

What the hell were you thinking?!
pimpdaddy008

Oct 30, 2006, 11:33 PM
why dont you keep the verizon phone and get the cingular and just pay both and then jam them both up your...oh nevermind, you got the point with the first 100 responses.
crxtreme89

Oct 31, 2006, 1:41 PM
This is the best way to avoid cancellation fees.
deeterman

Oct 31, 2006, 3:27 PM
be a decent person and live up to your agreements
Hayate

Oct 31, 2006, 3:45 PM
Oh come on, it's not THAT bad. It's annoying but honestly, it's not like it makes them a terrible person if they try to get out of it. I sell phones now and I've worked other retail for several years before. I know it's annoying but I would probably try to get out of it too.
deeterman

Oct 31, 2006, 4:06 PM
a person is only as good as there word
smorris

Nov 4, 2006, 12:11 PM
There is only one sure way to avoid the $175 fee.

(Even going on active military duty only suspends your contract until after your tour of duty is over.)

If you want to avoid the $175 fee, you're going to need to die.

Now, as far as dying, you have a few options. Most college students like the "slit the wrist method". I'd say that's a bad idea.

Go out in a bang. Make sure everyone sees it. Kill yourself on national television, your last dying words should be, "You want my $175?! Well take this motherF****!" - then you blow your head off with a shotgun.

Yeah, that'd be pretty raw.
jalanjalaning

Nov 4, 2006, 3:16 PM
If I was drinking something it might have come out of my nose...
Crapbag

Nov 4, 2006, 9:16 PM
smorris said:
There is only one sure way to avoid the $175 fee.

(Even going on active military duty only suspends your contract until after your tour of duty is over.)

I have terminated contracts for Military Deployment without an ETF. They have a choice to cancle or suspend. Obvious benefit to suspension is that they keep their number if they like it, and can simply request it be reactivated upon returning.
chainsaw

Nov 4, 2006, 9:39 PM
lol good one.
AgentSteffen

Nov 4, 2006, 10:24 PM
Yeah i dont know what being a "broke college kid" has to do with the fact that you signed an agreement that states "yes i will fulfill this agreement or pay the penalty" and trust me bud, the only thing paying your bill on time is going to get you is your deposit back if you had one. most companies rarely take into account the length youve been with them. especially when you are porting. now if they wanted to upgrade early or something thats a different story.... 😈

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.