Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 19 replies

Oh boy-o

ralph_on_me

Sep 8, 2006, 5:18 PM
A customer came in because his phone wasn't charging. His phone had water damage of course.

"Well it hasn't gotten wet."

It has to be submerged to get those dots INSIDE the phone to change color.

Now he wants us to commit fraud and add insurance even though the phone is already wet.

*sigh*

I know he's gonna call in and try to add insurance. I have to note his account that the phone is water damaged though. I guess he'll be back tomorrow b*tching about how we screwed him over by noting the account. I don't see how people can take fraud so lightly.
getsome

Sep 8, 2006, 5:22 PM
i love the whole

"my phome aint been wet...it may be my sweat cuz i sweat a lot but it aint been wet"

or the

"thas not watah...its coke so it's not watah damaged"

OMFG PPL

*off topic*

this lady was asking about phone prices she asked "on the MAIL IN REBATE you got to mail it in to get the rebate."

YOUR STUPID WOMAN GO BURN

*/off topic*
stef222

Sep 8, 2006, 5:27 PM
You know... the whole water damage thing..
My phone has never been submerged in water, and my water damage indicator is red. And I really honestly don't remember having it near water ever.
So yeah, sometimes you gotta give those "I've never gotten my phone wet" people a break, maybe the didn't.

As far as the insurance fraud though, thats just wrong. Do they think the car insurance place would let them get insurance on a car they JUST got in accident with. I don't think soo.
shleeban

Sep 8, 2006, 5:44 PM
if you have it in your pocket when its raining you can get it easily without even remembering
stef222

Sep 8, 2006, 5:50 PM
Oooh, I never even thought of that.
I once stood in the rain for 6 hours, most of that spent on my phone (long story, I was waiting in line for Conan O'brien 😁)
I bet that is when it happened.
ralph_on_me

Sep 8, 2006, 5:55 PM
We told the customer we can't add insurance to a water damaged phone. When we said that, he replied with, "Yeah, but it's a separate company so they'll never know."

At that point I just wanted to bang my head on the counter. Now that I heard him say that, I HAVE to note the account. If he would've just walked away I probably wouldn't have done a thing and he could've had his little scam.
raycarroll70

Sep 9, 2006, 8:38 AM
You did the right thing. Insurance fraud, not just in the wireless industry, I imagine costs millions of dollars if not billions each year and it's the consumer that ends up paying for it in increased premiums, higher deductibles as well as paying more for goods and services. It's good to see a sales professional with integrity. Good job!
ralph_on_me

Sep 9, 2006, 10:03 AM
I may whine, but I do the right thing. I just couldn't believe he said that and expected me to do nothing about it.
granteezie

Sep 9, 2006, 11:07 AM
VZW won't let you add the insurance after fifteen days past your activation date.
ralph_on_me

Sep 9, 2006, 11:50 AM
That's the smart way to do it. This customer hadn't even had his phone for 30 days yet though.
granteezie

Sep 9, 2006, 11:53 AM
then noting the account was the right thing to do. did you tell him you were gonna notate the account?
ralph_on_me

Sep 9, 2006, 12:13 PM
Nope. I just did it after he left. If he wants to try something illegal then I say let him get in trouble for it.
granteezie

Sep 9, 2006, 12:16 PM
true, well, good on ya for notating. i can't stand customers that try to cheat the system because they think they are special and deserve everything.
ralph_on_me

Sep 9, 2006, 12:39 PM
So you must hate about 90% of consumers. 🤣

I follow the rules, is it so bad I expect other people to follow the same rules I do?

On another note, I pushed a BMW into a speed trap yesterday. I drive about 5 mph over because I like to... but a beemer came riding up my butt so I slowed down to about 5 under. So he got POed and whipped around me right into a motorcycle cop running a speed trap. The guy got nailed for about 15 over in a residential. 😁
granteezie

Sep 9, 2006, 12:50 PM
if 90% of consumers are shady, then yes.

I follow the rules.

awesome that you pissed the beemer off.
bunnies7

Sep 9, 2006, 11:58 AM
Conan O'brien Rocks!! 🤤
granteezie

Sep 9, 2006, 11:06 AM
or if it is in the bathroom with you while you're showering, the steam can set the water marker off.
krickt

Sep 9, 2006, 12:43 PM
I just had a customer come in and tell me that he didn't get it wet, that we must have sold it to him that way because it's never been wet. I have a hard time not barking back at them when they say stupid things like that. Especially when they have multiple indicators not just pink, but running red.....
cilvzwagent

Sep 9, 2006, 11:43 AM
I had a custy who insisted that Lockline sent them a water damaged phone to replace their water damaged phone. And also that the person who had their phone number (3 years ago) is signing up their cell phone for those 3rd party sms/mms downloads over the TV...You know, the ones that charge you $9.99/month to send you like 5 txt messages a day? And she just expected me to believe that her precious little mo-hawked 12 year old just didn't do any of it. Then like 5 minutes later asked if he was still getting his daily horoscopes on the phone that she signed him up for. 😳 At that point, I called into custy service and had them cancel the fraud investigation.
krickt

Sep 9, 2006, 12:47 PM
We have had phones come from Signal (our insurance) with slight water damage. No indicators, but we had at least two phones that didn't work straight out of the box from insurance, and when we looked at charging ports or inside connections there was corrosion. That's what the manufacture's call liquid damage.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.