Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 27 replies

who has it worst

MaDMAn121

Aug 19, 2006, 9:10 PM
those in call centers or those in stores? I think that those of us in store because we have to see these "nice people" face to face. whereas call centers can aways "lose the call" when dealing with these "nice people".
Hayate

Aug 19, 2006, 10:20 PM
They can lose the call or they can mute it and vent. In store you can't look pissed and you can't make fun of them till they leave...and when they're just stupid you can't really laugh at them and it can be REALLY hard to keep a straight face in that situation @_@
Trixter

Aug 20, 2006, 9:47 AM
Well I agree that us here at call centers do not have to deal with the customers face to face, HOWEVER I be;ieve you have more leniancy on who you can deal with and who you cannot, I mean you do have the right to refuse service to anyone being a retail store correct?
Where in we need to be polite and professional with EVERY caller...
vzwgal21

Aug 20, 2006, 8:24 PM
in a store you have to worry about people throwing things at you or hitting you 👀
krickt

Aug 21, 2006, 11:15 AM
I don't know who has it worse, but I do know that there have been studies showing that call center jobs are among the most stressful jobs on the planet. I know that in a call center you can get fired for "terminating" a call without due cause. And the due cause list is very short. I have worked for three call centers and am now working face to face. I prefer face to face. But then again, I'm a little more than a little intimidating so nobody has actually tried to hit me or throw things at me.
TEMPS33

Aug 20, 2006, 11:24 AM
I work in a store, but I would think that people would tend to get more out of hand and argue a lot more when they safe behind a phone. Its kind of like on here, everyone is a tough guy over the computer. I would think you get the same over the phone.
Trixter

Aug 20, 2006, 1:33 PM
Yea pretty much, the funny part is when they try to threaten us
NOw most of the time the only thing they get from us for ID is a name and an employee number.
Now they soon forget we have thier adress, phone number, full name and other viatal info, we know EVERYHTING about them and they no nothign of us and they still think they can scare us?
Darkinday

Aug 20, 2006, 2:40 PM
Lol, that's what I love the most. We have everything.. we can hire a goon in their neighborehood, to like fly by and totally egg their house... hehehe, I've sooo wanted to do that 😈
cellphoneguy

Aug 20, 2006, 3:18 PM
its not even close... us in the stores have it the worse but were all in it together 😢
ralph_on_me

Aug 21, 2006, 10:51 AM
I think call center reps have it worse. They often have to take back to back calls for hours at a time. That's why when you call in you have to wait for the next available rep. People call in with their problems and whine, they rarely call in to buy but when they do they're just as anal over the phone as they are in store except they ask dumber questions.

In stores people usually come in to buy something. If people yell, we kick them out. If they have a billing problem my store has to send them to CS because we can't edit bills. We have co-workers to joke around with, beautiful people to stare at, and we're paid more.

So it's really, would you rather work in sales or in Customer Service? I think most people would pick sal...
(continues)
Nikoletta

Aug 21, 2006, 11:10 AM
Ralph, I love you, marry me?
ralph_on_me

Aug 21, 2006, 11:17 AM
Lol. You're quite the woman, but I'm very scared of marriage. 👀

You're well appreciated.
Nikoletta

Aug 21, 2006, 1:05 PM
Ok, I can keep you in my closet instead if you like.
ralph_on_me

Aug 21, 2006, 1:21 PM
How about if you sleep in mine? I can fit a bed in there and still have room for clothes.

On a side note, I've always wanted a bed that was built into the wall.
cilvzwagent

Aug 21, 2006, 9:17 AM
My vote goes to the stores. We have to deal with these "gems" face to face, and on the phone. We often get someone who will come into the store and you can tell they are really mad about something totally stupid, then they will go home, and call your store and then get all 'tough guy' on ya. It sucks.

I just still don't get what it is with people and cell phones. Something about them they all seem to think that since it's a cell phone they need to have everyone lay at their feet and give them their every cell phone desire at no cost. I mean, seriously, are these customers calling and yelling at walmart because their 2 year old spilled a soda on their DVD player and now its not working?
queensyankee

Aug 21, 2006, 10:26 AM
The term we use for the tough guys who call customer service is.....Phone Thugs 🤣
rjsrsr

Aug 21, 2006, 10:41 AM
RETAIL has it the worst. i must agree with everyone else, we see the customers. Physical contact or flying objects is always a caution. It's sad that some people have to threat with these actions. Ignorant people in this world i tell ya. Especially in my area now.
Nikoletta

Aug 21, 2006, 11:09 AM
I have to disagree and say call centers are way way worse than any store and here's why.

- No, we don't have to deal with the idiots face to face but now many of them do you have to put up with on a give day? I talk to at least fifty (that's a bit 50) at least, the worst day I had 84 calls.

- Do you require a credit card for every single stinking transaction? I can do exactly diddly poop if I don't have a credit card that I can charge a dollar on. At least in the store you can say "Oh well lookie there, you have a picture ID and it even looks a little bit like your ugly face on it!"

- In a store it doesn't matter if you DO talk to 84 people in a day, you're going to get paid the same for each sale regardless. The more functional...
(continues)
LuckyLou

Aug 21, 2006, 11:17 AM
One get you butt in a store. Where you dont have some higher up to pass the call on. Anywho I dont really care. I will tell the customer they got screwed and laugh in their face. Why because the customer is always wrong. 😳
Nikoletta

Aug 21, 2006, 1:01 PM
See I have worked in retail stores(not mobile phone stores but other places and customer are idiots in other walks of life too) there are still managers you can hand off the customer to, sometimes or most of the time. I'd MUCH rather do retail but this place works.
cilvzwagent

Aug 21, 2006, 12:29 PM
So what part of working in a call center didn't scream this to you in the beginning? Why did you even take the position?
cilvzwagent

Aug 21, 2006, 12:31 PM
just to add...I'd rather deal with idiots in my face all day long than ppl on the phone...but that's why I refuse to live my life behind a cubical all day long. People suck, but come on....when yo have someone tell you they are going to kick your ass, you get to laugh and grin. When we hear that, we actually have customers who show up to do it. How fair is that? They know where we are, for all the customers know you are in Argentina.
ralph_on_me

Aug 21, 2006, 12:42 PM
Call center jobs usually advertise a high pay rate and flexible hours. They're a great position for college students, but the environment still sucks. Also, and Nikoletta knows, there is some room for advancement.

The question was originally "which job is worse" (actually they said worst 😛 ), not "do you hate your job." No one has said, "I hate my job," we're just comparing the two. So don't start up all this, "Just quit if you don't like it," stuff.

Cilvzwagent, this wasn't directed at you. A few different people are starting to jump on that wagon. I just chose to comment after you.
Nikoletta

Aug 21, 2006, 1:02 PM
I had no idea actually when I first started here and I was desperate for a job, the market around her tanks, it's all call centers.
UOQuack

Aug 21, 2006, 8:55 PM
I've worked in both call center and store, and the call center is way worse. It's not even remotely close.
evillobster

Aug 21, 2006, 2:43 PM
I work in a call center and I dont know too much about a store but im going to give things in my humble opinion.

Stores have the roughest confrontation because unlike call centers we dont have to see them and they dont knwo where we live (but we know where youuuuu live 😈

Then again its super stressfull to work in like not good working conditions for a call center. I'll post more in my theory later, my supervisors keep looking my way!!! lol 🤣
Pslim77

Aug 21, 2006, 5:35 PM
Noone. Worst isn't a word Dah.
Nikoletta

Aug 21, 2006, 5:55 PM
worst is a word but that's not the context it belongs in. "It's the worst job ever." "It's worse over here." Would be what you meant.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.