Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 24 replies

Who Cares?!

clr7181

Jul 21, 2006, 3:01 PM
Not my company. Put out mandatory training, then try everything they possibly can to avoid paying us all o/t. We all put in a 10-12 hour day, and they are trying to pay us for no more than 8. What a crock!
craptacularwireless

Jul 21, 2006, 3:07 PM
Yikes, that blows. That kind of crap doesn't fly here in Cali. I love the labor laws here.๐Ÿ™‚
switchy85

Jul 22, 2006, 11:31 AM
I envy you. Cali has awesome labor laws. Here in Arizona we don;t have a lot to back us up other than Federally made laws. Right-to-work sucks donkey balls. Oh well, my manager would never fire me anyway, he'd lose out on 100% of his monthly bonus. ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
spum

Jul 21, 2006, 3:12 PM
According to the federal government (your state laws may be different), commission based employees are not granted overtime pay. There's no law against giving them overtime pay, but we are an exception to the overtime rule.
MeatballzNGravy

Jul 21, 2006, 3:21 PM
You may want to check with your State labor board. I went through this with a TMobile agent I was working for a while back. He had us working 6 days a week, 9am - 9pm, with only 1 fifteen minute break. There was a huge class action lawsuit. Obviously we won, he had to pay us for all the overtime we put in plus accrued interest. It came out to like $7500.
spum

Jul 21, 2006, 3:29 PM
Well, that's against a federal law too. You're supposed to get 1 30 minute break and 2 15 minute breaks for every 8 hours worked. You can choose not to take them, but no one can tell you that you can't take them. The overtime is on a state to state basis when it comes to commission employees.
craptacularwireless

Jul 21, 2006, 3:53 PM
Here in Cali it doesn't matter whether you're a commissioned employee or not. Only salaried are exempt.
artax80

Jul 21, 2006, 4:28 PM
Actually, in this case the particular state involved does have laws agains this. Have to pay overtime, have to pay travel time. Employer just doesn't apparently know this.
craptacularwireless

Jul 21, 2006, 4:49 PM
I smell a lawsuit.
granteezie

Jul 21, 2006, 4:54 PM
that was me... sorry.
clr7181

Jul 21, 2006, 4:54 PM
Yeah, that's the thing though.... We're not commission based employees.
clr7181

Jul 21, 2006, 5:05 PM
...Also, I failed to mention in my top post, that this mandatory meeting, was over 2 hours away from my store.
spum

Jul 21, 2006, 5:07 PM
Nobody has to pay you anything for the hours spent in the car. If the employer is nice, they'll pay you the amount recommended by the FedGov as a reimbursement for gas.
clr7181

Jul 21, 2006, 5:09 PM
According to the Illinois Dept of Labor, since it was a mandated meeting, they have to pay us for the travel time to and from the meeting. Otherwise, they can't make it "mandatory".
spum

Jul 21, 2006, 5:10 PM
I don't know Illinois law. The Fed law says that you don't need to be paid for the time spent to and from. It's recommended that the employer pays for gas, but not necessary.
orphandrew

Jul 21, 2006, 4:07 PM
The Mobile Solutions? ๐Ÿคจ
clr7181

Jul 21, 2006, 5:14 PM
Lets see how far off course I really am, and ask all you phonescoopers this question.

How many of you would travel 2-2.5 hrs away, for a mandatory company meeting, that they gave you no choice but to hop in the car with your account manager and go. Close the store early, loose 3 hrs of base + Comm's to sit in a meeting for 2 hours, travel the 2 - 2.5 hrs home and not receive any further compensation?
chainsaw

Jul 21, 2006, 5:18 PM
We don't get paid to go to our mandatory monthly meetings. You aren't making money for the company at the time. Why should they pay you? Be greatful you even have a base. Try working straight commission.
clr7181

Jul 21, 2006, 5:26 PM
That's your own fault for jumping on with a company that doesn't pay you an hourly wage. I've been there, done that. My main argument is that every other manager in this company if they have to travel to another location, whether for a meeting or not, they are paid their to and from time...as according to the Illinois Labor Laws.
chainsaw

Jul 21, 2006, 6:18 PM
hmmm interesting. I don't whine about not being on an hourly base because they pay us very good commissions and it is a great company to work for while going to college.
spum

Jul 21, 2006, 5:42 PM
I've done that. I used to work for a corporation that paid hourly/commission, and the headquarters was about 2.5 hours away. Everyone in every store had to go to a meeting once a month. Me and the guys in my store used to carpool, but the only person that ever got anything from it was the one that drove because he was reimbursed for gas.
clr7181

Jul 21, 2006, 5:44 PM
That's the same boat my 2 co-workers are in. I would have been reimbursed for my gas/mileage, but we weren't given an option to drive ourselves down. I guess from now on all 3 of us girls, will just drive separately for these meetings for now on, and the company will be the ones payin 3x mileage...and our hourly is WAY cheaper.
spum

Jul 21, 2006, 5:46 PM
Careful with the gas mileage. I haven't looked at the recommended mileage reimbursement from the FED recently (I don't have any reason to any more), but it might not even cover your gas considering how much gas prices have risen as quickly as they have. Look into how much they will reimburse you before you actually do it.
clr7181

Jul 21, 2006, 5:50 PM
Well I know the last time I had to drive to our home office, my mileage check was $100, and my tank of gas was only $40.
Pslim77

Jul 22, 2006, 2:53 PM
Noone I hope. If I am going to any work related thing except for parties and award ceremonies I get paid. Even for Phone EXPO's

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.